Can-O-Worms ...Open Carry? ... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #1

Can-O-Worms ...Open Carry? ...

Here in the Mountain State we are a "No permit needed, conceal or open carry state." And I certainty don't want to step on any ones 2nd A. toes here. But yesterday I stopped by a local pawn/gun shop where one of my best friends works. When I can I help them identify and place values on trade-ins and pawned guns.

A thirty something guy comes in with a big single action revolver exposed 100% on his hip (maybe a Blackhawk ). He was asking some very novice type questions about guns in the case. When he left everyone had that "OMG!".. look on their faces. I have no issue with anyone asking questions and learning, we all need to from time to time.

The subject for discussion quickly went more to the open carry situation. Now for me I think open carry is for LEO, cowboys and maybe hunting. I conceal carry everyday but I NEVER open carry, although it is perfectly legal. I don't want a "shoot me first" sign on my back. I also have no NRA, USCCA or gun brand stickers on my truck. No ones business, what I do or who I am.

I know we have some very smart, experienced people here and I value all of your opinions. So ...conceal or open carry? Pros - Cons.

Thanks for input and your time.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #2

Now for me I think open carry is for LEO, cowboys and maybe hunting. I conceal carry everyday but I NEVER open carry, although it is perfectly legal. I don't want a "shoot me first" sign on my back.
Totally agree. Open carry is legal in GA, but I never see anyone do it. Discretion is the better part of valor.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, bhunted and 6 others like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

it's a 50/50 thing...

bad guy comes in and gets scared or bad guy comes in and takes you out first..
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #4

When we're down in Arizona, I occasionally see someone taking advantage of open carry - it's legal there, too. Every time I have seen it, there also seems to be something a bit off with the person doing it.

We had an obnoxious neighbor there for awhile - gone now, thank goodness. One day I was standing out in my driveway. He marched up to me nose to nose, with a big chip on his shoulder, and sneered, "You wanna meet me?? I saw you looking at me, so you must wanna meet me!" When he turned around and stomped off, I saw he had a big 1911 stuffed in back. I presume the whole point was to intimidate me - I was not impressed.

Another time we went to a restaurant, and my wife sat down across from me at a table. I suggested she come around to my side of the table, and sit beside me. When she asked why, I told her I would show her after she moved. Some guy at the next table had a big pistol in a shoulder rig, where the barrel was horizontal - at it had been pointing right at my wife. I'm sure there was no real danger - but who wants to sit inline with something like that?

No one will ever know if I am carrying or not.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Banned

I open carry all the time. If felt weird a few years ago, but after awhile you don't even think about it. And conceal carry isn't very practical in 100 degrees and wearing shorts and a tee shirt.

I don't feel threatened by any 2 footers, but I'm constantly going into the wilderness for a variety of purposes. So it is best to always have the gun on me.

Also I doubt very much that anybody notices >90% of the time.

You want to see odd --> (apparently there is a bunch of these nut-jobs thinking they are protecting our military recruitment centers)

These guys should be retroactively labeled mentally unfit to own a firearm and be disarmed!
starnovi and PaulWVa like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Other then in the field hunting I have no use for open carry. It's a right that I will defend forever but I'm not comfortable practicing it in everyday life. Maybe it's only me but I think that people doing it are just seeking attention.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #7

I have stated many times. I want NO ONE to know I armed until just before the flash they are about to see....
I agree that most open carry people are the first targets and some scare the hell out of innocent naive citizens who are afraid of guns.

As a former LEO, I have seen many times where a little common sense goes a long way when it comes to open and concealed carry.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Other then in the field hunting I have no use for open carry. It's a right that I will defend forever but I'm not comfortable practicing it in everyday life. Maybe it's only me but I think that people doing it are just seeking attention.
Totally agree Chuck !!

On the rare occasion I open carry, its while hunting. When doing anything else, its always CC.
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

All through my career I open carried, (except off-duty) but I was always in uniform. I have no beef with the decision to open carry or carry concealed, exercising your rights gets NO argument from me.

I agree with the rest though, why give any bad-intentioned person the advantage and let them KNOW I am carrying? I'd prefer to keep the element of surprise and the edge I'd need to insure I prevail IF I have to use deadly force.
Chuck43, Tejun, Markie and 3 others like this.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #10

Concealed always, my advantage. Home on the property doing chores or grilling. 41 Mag Blackhawk in a Cowboy Holster open. But that's the only place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43, RustyIron and Markie like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote