Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By PaulWVa
  • 1 Post By Lineman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #1

KONG ISLAND ...movie

Watching the new Kong movie. Great special effects, pretty good story so far. But Samuel L. Jackson is shown holding a long slide 1911 with what appears to be a full length guide rod and Novak sights. Did anything like that even exist in 1973 ? And would an Army officer carry one?

And why do helicopter pilots always fly just high enough for the monsters to jump up and grab them? Did the same thing in the last Godzilla movie....I just keep screaming at the screen..."GO UP STUPID!!"

More Hollywood silliness....gotta go make some more popcorn...
RustyIron, swca, starnovi and 1 others like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-01-2017, 12:55 AM   #2

Cool Rhip!!!

Generals can carry any damn pistol that makes them happy!!
Remember Patton's Ivory gripped pistols? A 4 3/4" .45 Colt SAA and a 3 1/2" Smith and Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum in an S.D. Myers belt rig.

General Patton's Pistols & Belt Rig.jpg

Officers above the rank of Major can pretty much carry whatever sidearm they choose. Samuel Jackson's rank in the movie was Lt Colonel, so he could have carried the pistol of his choice. Not so sure about the Novak sights in 1973, though.

As for the flying faults of helicopter pilots, I can't explain that. Maybe in a year or so. My son is putting in for Warrant Officer and learning to fly Blackhawk helicopters. Then, I can ask him. Can ya wait that long for the answer??
PaulWVa likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 08-01-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #3

Found this on Novak sights, looks like 1985 way before 1973?

About

Novak Designs Inc.

In 1985, Wayne Novak realized the need for a pistol sight system that was durable and would allow shooters to engage targets rapidly and accurately. After researching, developing, and testing multiple designs, the Novak LoMount sight system stood out as the next clear step in the evolution of pistol enhancements. The rugged and innovative dovetail design and overall aesthetic good looks made it a winner, but that was not good enough. The sight had to work with the shooter to allow for the simplest and clearest sight picture with ease of use. After being fielded by some of the best shooters in the business, the Novak LoMount quickly became one of the most sought after modifications for civilian, law enforcement, military, and competition shooters. Such a ground breaking design, that it was awarded a U.S. Patent. Currently, over three million Genuine Novak Sights adorn quality pistols and is one of the most recognized premium designs of quality and function, made right here, in the U.S.A.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
Generals can carry any damn pistol that makes them happy!!
Remember Patton's Ivory gripped pistols? A 4 3/4" .45 Colt SAA and a 3 1/2" Smith and Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum in an S.D. Myers belt rig.

Attachment 63841

Officers above the rank of Major can pretty much carry whatever sidearm they choose. Samuel Jackson's rank in the movie was Lt Colonel, so he could have carried the pistol of his choice. Not so sure about the Novak sights in 1973, though.

As for the flying faults of helicopter pilots, I can't explain that. Maybe in a year or so. My son is putting in for Warrant Officer and learning to fly Blackhawk helicopters. Then, I can ask him. Can ya wait that long for the answer??
Oh I get that, Lineman, officers do what they want most of the time. But with the exception Patton it always seemed like the real higher ups carry smaller, dressier autos like Commanders. My real question was did an AMT / Ed Brown like long slide even exist in '73? I didn't shoot my first 1911 until '74 and never saw anything but a Gov. Model or a Commander in those day. I have no real idea when the first long slide came to be. I figured it was just "movie magic"
Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 AM   #5

Cool I Checked!!

I checked on the internet and found that AMT had built a long slide (6" barrel) .45 ACP Hardballer in 1977. All I found with regard to Ed Brown and an long slide .45 was references of people assembling long slide pistols from Ed Brown and other after market manufacturers parts. Nothing about EB actually making a long slide .45.

As Dennis Weaver used to say while playing Deputy U.S. Marshal Sam McCloud, "There ya go"!!

McCloud.jpg

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
I checked on the internet and found that AMT had built a long slide (6" barrel) .45 ACP Hardballer in 1977. All I found with regard to Ed Brown and an long slide .45 was references of people assembling long slide pistols from Ed Brown and other after market manufacturers parts. Nothing about EB actually making a long slide .45.

As Dennis Weaver used to say while playing Deputy U.S. Marshal Sam McCloud, "There ya go"!!

Attachment 63905
My bad ...."Les Baer Long Slide"... is what I was thinking about not Ed Brown. Baer has a couple of different 6" 1911s.

I remember the AMT well. A guy in our old IPSC club got one and used it in matches that included longer shots. Nice looking guns but he seemed to always some issue with it. We book ended the firing line ....his "long slide" and my Colt Commander ...all 5" guns for the rest.