No longer a biker. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #1

No longer a biker.

After careful deliberation--and the realization I could go blind or be run down by a Kenworth--I decided to sell Black Betty and Babe back to Harley.

Their rep, Chad, said they don't usually do this, but clean custom bikes always go fast, and last night he offered me more money than I thought I'd get.

(BTW, I also called a club enforcer to check our current bi-laws. For you non-MC dudes, your "colors" are never yours, they belong to the club. Some MCs have bi-laws stating that a member must own a motorcycle to keep his rags when he goes inactive. I was given some slack since I'm one of the first fifty members and have original, handmade colors.)

First things I'm going to buy are a blue jean vest with no emblems and brown Harley boots. I dislike posers who dress up in biker garb, but I've haven't worn anything else sine 1964 and I'm afraid I'll get hives...
Old 08-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

Touist,

I gave up riding about 15 years ago. At the time I was a HD, Honda and BMW certified mechanic. Almost getting run off the road by a guy in blue Taurus playing a trumpet (true story) was the deciding factor for me.
glad you got more than you were expecting for your HDs. That is not always the case.
Good luck fighting the hives!

Slanted
Old 08-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that you had to do that Chico, I rue the day I will have to give up my hot-rod.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

I'll have a bike in my garage until the day they drag me out feet first. Hell, even if someday I can't ride anymore I'll still have something to in the garage to polish and look at while drinking a beer and thinking about stuff. Do any of you bikers do that? Sometimes I just go out to the garage to drink a beer and check out the bike. Get rid of my bike? No way.

ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

I gave up my street Harley's back in my late 40's after a crushed ankle incident. Then I went to dirt, and after about 15 years of crashing and breaking my spine in two places, tearing my knee up and more surgeries, I sold my Husky 510 and got back into scuba diving....safer, right?

Us old guys just don't heal up as quickly any more, and if I want to continue to shoot my Kimbers, bikes and me just had to part ways, kicking and screaming all the way, but part we did. After 50 years on two wheels, it was a shock to my system.

You've got lots of company there, Tourist!
starnovi likes this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Hell, even if someday I can't ride anymore I'll still have something to in the garage to polish and look at while drinking a beer and thinking about stuff. Do any of you bikers do that? Sometimes I just go out to the garage to drink a beer and check out the bike.

I do that with my old car all the time.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #7

IMG_1587.JPG
Do any of you bikers do that?

Yup, you bet.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #8

Never had a street bike...I drag raced the hell out of my dirt bikes..but for the most part it was traffic free. to many obstacles for me on the road.
starnovi likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #9

Yeah, I too am taking a break from riding.

This went :

20141007_101850 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

But this has replaced it.

20161022_124338 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

So far I feel safer. lol
starnovi likes this.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #10

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
I'll have a bike in my garage until the day they drag me out feet first. Hell, even if someday I can't ride anymore I'll still have something to in the garage to polish and look at while drinking a beer and thinking about stuff. Do any of you bikers do that? Sometimes I just go out to the garage to drink a beer and check out the bike. Get rid of my bike? No way.

That's a Kow right? I road a Nomad 1500FI for nearly 9 years. This ain't me but mine was set up the same way, same color, with the Harley tour pack on the back mine also had a big fat white walls. Sold it to my next-door neighbor who totaled it the next year. My hog (Heritage Softail) is about 200 pounds lighter than that cow.
IMG_1588.JPG