Amazon Fire HD8 Tablet Question - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Amazon Fire HD8 Tablet Question

I have a friend that just won a new Amazon Fire HD8 with Alexa tablet. He doesn't want it and offered to me. I know nothing about tablets, I imagine I can shop Amazon on it but don't know if it can be used to get on the forum. Does anyone here have one or know what you can do with them?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #2

Chuck I have never owned a laptop or tablet but a tablet can go on the internet no problem a friend of mine does it all the time. If you already have internet you may be able to just log on. Another friend of mine comes over and just logs on to my internet with her laptop.
Chuck43 and Markie like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I have both lap top and desk top computers but have never had or even seen a tablet up close. He will give me the tablet for free but I don't want to take it if I can't get on the forum with it.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #4

Every time my laptop decides to take a crap and I have to send it back to the Mothership I bring my loyal tablet out of the drawer to use.

Anything that you can do on your laptop that tablet will do the exact same thing along with straining your eyes just a tad.

https://www.cnet.com/products/amazon...8-2017/review/
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Super Moderator

If Marshall says it's so then it must be so.

Rather then just take it I'm going to get a bottle of his favorite scotch and trade him for the tablet.
Marshall and DaveinNC like this.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

I also think you will like the Alexa Edition with that tablet. You will enjoy sitting next to it and just asking it questions and listening to the answers. It's sort of like using Google just without having to type anything.

Now it will not make you a bourbon on Friday night, but if you're lucky enough you can do what I do.

"Gigi, please make me a Skyy and sweet tea along with a sammich" ......

2sharp2, Tejun and DaveinNC like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #7

They are handy sometimes. I have two iPads. I keep one on my gun work counter. When I need to look up something like a schematic or Youtube video on how do do something its right there. Generally, they have good battery life. Also good if you travel. You just toss it in your bag and have access to KT and all the other fun things on web. Much easier than toting around my laptop too !

I keep the other iPad by my recliner and Ms Tejun has her mini-iPad by hers. We both sit in the living room surfing around in evenings with TV on, not really watching much of the TV
Marshall and starnovi like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Super Moderator

My friend got this big grin on his face when I suggested trading the tablet for a bottle of his brand of scotch rather then just giving me the tablet. It's brand new, he never cracked the seal on the box. I'm charging it up right now and will start playing with it later tonight.
Marshall and RustyIron like this.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

We have a Kindle Fire HD5. Got it a couple years ago for $39 on a whim. Played with it for a bit and tossed it in a drawer.

As far as Alexa... we have two Amazon Echo devices. Now those are useful! Turning on the lights... Alexa living room on. Making shopping lists (man that is easy) just look in the pantry or refrigerator and see something running low... Alexa add beer to the shopping list. Alexa is in the lvingroom but she hears me from the kitchen, very nice. When at the store the shopping list is all on the iPhone automatically. We like listening to talk radio... Alexa play The Savage Nation. No fiddling finding a station or anything, Alexa takes care of it all. Seemlessly plays music from Pandora or our own music we uploaded onto Amazon Music... Alexa play 3 Doors Down. Will connect via bluetooth to our home music system but we just use the Echo's internal speaker. Wife uses Alexa for a cooking time... and ton of other little things. The applications are endless. Echo/Alexa is a winner.

For home defense purposes Alexa will turn on our lights in the house from the bedroom. At night when it's quiet Alexa will operate on just a whisper.

How Apple let Amazon get such a huge leap on them over Siri I'll never understand.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and Tejun like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-14-2017 at 05:20 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:59 AM   #10

I forgot to mention that our light switches are WeMo that work with Alexa. WeMo App is also on the iPhone. It's convenient for when we pull up to the house at night. We can turn on inside lights before we even get parked in the garage.
Chuck43 and Tejun like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote