Liftmaster 8500 garage door openers - any experience? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cybercycle
  • 1 Post By Tejun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2017, 05:53 AM   #1

Liftmaster 8500 garage door openers - any experience?

Finally got my 24X30 garage built. Looking at garage door openers. I'm looking at the Liftmaster 8500 garage side mount door openers. Does anyone here have any experience with this model opener or have any experience with other side mounted openers?
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #2

Sounds like a beast. I don't have any experience with them.

When we built our home in 1994, I opted for 3 single car openings instead of the usual 2/1 design.

I have had the Original Chamberlain openers in place for almost 24 years. Only replaced bulbs. They are chain driven which I would assume the same today.

Anyway, just sayin' had really good reliable use from them and still going in case you decide to look around.

Plus, I hear most newer ones are all web based or phone based capable.

Good luck with your installation. Sounds like it's going to be nice when completed.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

Use a thicker walled 1" shaft.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #4

YEA i hate my big door...

Originally Posted by Bish View Post

When we built our home in 1994, I opted for 3 single car openings instead of the usual 2/1 design.

I have had the Original Chamberlain openers in place for almost 24 years. Only replaced bulbs. They are chain driven which I would assume the same today.

Anyway, just sayin' had really good reliable use from them and still going in case you decide to look around.

Good luck with your installation. Sounds like it's going to be nice when completed.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

I use the Liftmaster 3900 Professional Light duty unit and never had a problem with it. Works as advertised
Bish likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #6

I don't have experience with the 8500 Side Mount Model but I do notice that model has the MyQ feature which I have on mine also. That was the primary reason I got it. It's a wifi / mobile app feature that allows you to open garage door with your iPhone from virtually anywhere. If needed, I could open it sitting here in Baton Rouge right now. You can also set up notifications via Push Alerts or email when the door opens or closes. AND, the feature I probably use the most is checking to see status (open/closed) after you leave and can't remember if you closed it when you backed out. We were always having to circle back and check it due to my CRS 😳
Bish likes this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
YEA i hate my big door...

We had a big double door on our previous home. This home we added the 3rd car stall so I was able to change up that option. My reason was like you. I didn't want to open the big door each time I or my wife used it. So by singling out each stall we were able to also go with a lower powered motor. 3rd horse on each door. As was stated, I've already replaced the remote openers and 2 years ago replaced the doors and rails. The motors and chain drive are all original.

Originally Posted by Cybercycle View Post
I use the Liftmaster 3900 Professional Light duty unit and never had a problem with it. Works as advertised
Disclaimer. Sometimes I wonder how I get through a day?

Mine are Liftmaster, as well. We've replaced the remote openers and they are Chamberlain. My other home had Chamberlain.

Please completely fact check me before reading my posts for accuracy...sheeeesh.

My apologies.

So with that said. I believe you are looking at a very good quality opener based on my experience. I fact checked that one.

Think I'll mosey on back to the basement and finish cleaning my new Kimbers.

Last edited by Bish; 09-30-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

I do notice that model has the MyQ feature which I have on mine also. That was the primary reason I got it. It's a wifi / mobile app feature that allows you to open garage door with your iPhone from virtually anywhere. If needed, I could open it sitting here in Baton Rouge right now.
Yeah, the MyQ feature is my least favorite feature. I always had dumb phones until the last time my wife wanted an iPhone and I usually get what she gets so we always have the same chargers in all the cars and at home. I like it OK but being "old school", I told her when I retire (shortly), I will go back to a dumb phone for me. While all the stuff smart phones do is handy, I really don't need that crap. Just hoping you can disable MyQ on the openers....LOL!
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote