Kimber Talk Forums banner

Trump stands strong. NFL folds

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  loadedround 
#1 · (Edited)
Earlier today NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was forced to buckle...

"Like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the national anthem," Goodell wrote to NFL club presidents and chief executives. "It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us. We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players."

A short trip down memory lane

A. NFL players disrespect National Anthem.

B. Trump takes the side of America and apple pie.

C. The media goes insane against Trump

D. NFL freaks out against Trump. Roger Goodell supports players

E. Washington establishment tries to scold Trump

Trump just sits back and watches them all crumble under the weight of patriotism

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I was just reading about the effect the boycott was having on the NFL's ratings and attendance. Goodell's not as worried about patriotism as he is their bottom dollar. Drops in ratings are running from 17% to 35% and the companies paying the big bucks for running their commercials during a game are highly upset.

#3 ·
Most of the owners could care less about the players kneeling or a fist high salute during the anthem. What they do care about is $$$$$.

There are 32 NFL teams and 32 billionaire owners. Seeing the empty seats and the ratings tanking was when the owners started to notice. They might be a bunch of jackasses, but they love their money.

If you want to give Trump the credit, that's your prerogative.

#4 · (Edited)
Trump gets credit for taking the side of America and apple pie and bringing the debate to a head. Beyond that all Trump did is sit back and watch the NFL and his detractors get crushed under the weight of patriotism.

It was good ole American patriotism that won the day here. That's what drove the ratings down and empty seats.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
I actually hope the decline continues. Love to see a lot of those millionaire players lose their big paychecks. You gotta loathe folks who play contact sports and then complain about head injuries because no one warned them about the problems they might encounter. Hell, I have had new knees, 3 bulging discs and arthritis in my back, arthritis in my hands and feet and a sh*tload of other issues no one warned me about when I started working ........and I haven't made millions in my whole career!

I wonder when boxers will start sueing because of all the head injuries they have endured and no one worked to protect them from. You choose your path in life and most of us common folk deal with the aftermath! Eff the NFL!

When Trump started tweeting about the kneeling and disrespect, he brought it to the forefront and made it a big enough issue to force Goodell and the owners to have to react because of the large scale revolt of the American people and folks who were loyal fans previously! If the celebrity/news anchor group would give Trump half the leeway they gave Barry Sortero Hussein Obama he could get a lot of things fixed that at least half the populations wants done IMO!

#19 · (Edited)
I actually hope the decline continues.
I don't know how much more decline there might be, but I think there will be some level of permanent loss.

It was one thing for a dumb punk like Kaepernick to take a knee. Can't smear an entire sport because of one unpatriotic disrespectful jackass. But when team owners and the NFL Commissioner wouldn't nip it in the bud that became a real problem. Their tacit approval and Roger Goodell initially coming out and lecturing America that we must all understand that players have "different viewpoints" when it comes to respect for our country and those who serve it which many have given the ultimate sacrifice... crossed a line that simply cannot be walked back.

#13 ·
You have to remember that there are 1696 players in the NFL and less than 8% are taking a knee. Why would anyone wish ill will on the players that are standing during the anthem ? They have families just like you and I and need $$ to survive. Remember that an NFL career is only 3-5 years on average so saying that they are all millionaires is just not true.

#14 ·
I was just wondering which player is the lowest paid in the NFL?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.