Sometimes I Even Impress Myself!! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

Cool Sometimes I Even Impress Myself!!

Was bow hunting for deer the weekend before last. I was in a stand overlooking a large persimmon tree, I heard rustling around behind the tree nearly all morning.

At 9:15 out of the under growth steps a large coyote. That explained both the rustling sounds and the lack of deer at the site. Well, not being a fan of coyotes, I decided that the world could do with one less. I drew my Smith and Wesson M&P40 Shield (Yes, you can carry a pistol while bow hunting in Georgia, if you have a valid Georgia Weapons Carry License), aligned the Trijicon Night Sights and slowly pulled the Apex trigger that it is equipped with. At 25 yards, verified by a laser range finder, I dropped the coyote with 1 shot. The ammo used was a Hornady 165 grain Critical Defense JHP. It hit high behind the shoulder and just below the spine. Not bad for a pocket pistol with a 3.1" barrel @ 25 yards!!

My condolences to the Wile E. Coyote family on the untimely demise of the head of the family. Life's a bitch, then you die!!

M.P40.Shield..Blackhawk.Askins.Compact.Concealment.Holster.000.jpg Coyote Shot With M&P40 Shield 9-22-17.jpg

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 10-18-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Nice shooting Keith.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #3

I never did understand the senseless killing of any animal. They are just trying to survive the best way they know how, just like us. However, humans are a different story, especially if they are armed and have malice in their heart.

Please don't take offense Lineman. I'm sure your values are different than mine and I respect that!
starnovi and PaulWVa like this.

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

Good shooting Keith. Kind of hard to tell size in the pic but he looks pretty big, at least bigger than the one I was seeing around here earlier this year. Not seen him in a long time, may be dead by now, the one here looked like he was about to starve to death...I could see his ribs. Yours looks pretty fat but no longer sassy.
Nellybelle likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #5

Coyotes are not very well loved by most hunters, farmers or ranchers. They are known to prey on livestock, pets and even humans. They are always in open season here in MT. The only good coyote is dead coyote.
Nellybelle, 2sharp2, Tejun and 1 others like this.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #6

Wink

Originally Posted by Old Timer 57 View Post
I never did understand the senseless killing of any animal. They are just trying to survive the best way they know how, just like us. However, humans are a different story, especially if they are armed and have malice in their heart.

Please don't take offense Lineman. I'm sure your values are different than mine and I respect that!
John,

Oh, I am not offended, I've been hearing stuff like this my whole adult life.

I am sure that you have never seen a coyote wade through a chicken coop and kill every chicken inside. Not for food, but just for the sake of killing. I have!

I'm also sure that you have never seen a pack of coyotes taking turns running a whitetail deer fawn until it can't run any more and just plain drops and then ripping it's throat out. I have!

I'm sure you have never seen a coyote decimate the nests of quail or turkeys just for a quick snack. I have!

I'm sure that you have never seen someone's family dog tied out in the backyard for some fresh air and be ripped to pieces by a pack of coyotes. I have!

I am a hunter. I hunt for food. I eat everything that I shoot. I am not a trophy hunter. I don't shoot a deer for the antlers on his head.
I revere the animal for his stately manner, his beauty and his unequaled survival skills. I have watched many more deer walk away than I have ever shot. I do my best to protect them from the pursuit of and wanton slaughter by coyotes that aren't even hungry and walk away from the kill.

I respect your right to own a firearm. You wouldn't be here if you didn't. I also respect your right to not hunt and "senselessly" kill animals for food. Obviously, you must be a VEGAN. I'm sure that you wear canvas tennis shoes, rather than leather. The seats in you car surely must be cloth and vinyl. Milk and cheese is out of the question. Above all, I know that your shadow never darkens the meat department at Wally World or any other grocery emporium. Or is it that you just want someone else to do the killing?

This brings me back to an old clipping that I read in the paper a long time ago. I save it for moments like this!!

A Genius Thought!!.jpg

The next deer that I let walk will be for you!!! I'll post a picture for you!! The one that winds up in my freezer, well, not so much!!!

Hope I didn't offend you! As for my values, it is said in the Bible: "....and God gave man dominion over the birds and beasts of the field!" I'm pretty sure that means that we eat them!!! He didn't mention dominion over the field itself. No mention was made of chowing down on the veggies! I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to get by on beans and sprouts!!

BTW, coyotes are totally unprotected in the state of Georgia. There is no season and no limit. You can shot them day or night (with a light), 24/7/365!! Georgia game wardens ask that they be shot of sight.

NUFF SAID--THE LINEMAN!

NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member

Last edited by Lineman; 10-18-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
John,

Oh, I am not offended, I've been hearing stuff like this my whole adult life.

I am sure that you have never seen a coyote wade through a chicken coop and kill every chicken inside. Not for food, but just for the sake of killing. I have!

I'm also sure that you have never seen a pack of coyotes taking turns running a whitetail deer fawn until it can't run any more and just plain drops and then ripping it's throat out. I have!

I'm sure you have never seen a coyote decimate the nests of quail or turkeys just for a quick snack. I have!

I'm sure that you have never seen someone's family dog tied out in the backyard for some fresh air and be ripped to pieces by a pack of coyotes. I have!

I am a hunter. I hunt for food. I eat everything that I shoot. I am not a trophy hunter. I don't shoot a deer for the antlers on his head.
I revere the animal for his stately manner, his beauty and his unequaled survival skills. I have watched many more deer walk away than I have ever shot. I do my best to protect them from the pursuit of and wanton slaughter by coyotes that aren't even hungry and walk away from the kill.

I respect your right to own a firearm. You wouldn't be here if you didn't. I also respect your right to not hunt and "senselessly" kill animals for food. Obviously, you must be a VEGAN. I'm sure that you wear canvas tennis shoes, rather than leather. The seats in you car surely must be cloth and vinyl. Milk and cheese is out of the question. Above all, I know that your shadow never darkens the meat department at Wally World or any other grocery emporium. Or is it that you just want someone else to do the killing?

This brings me back to an old clipping that I read in the paper a long time ago. I save it for moments like this!!

Attachment 74034

The next deer that I let walk will be for you!!! I'll post a picture for you!! The one that winds up in my freezer, well, not so much!!!

Hope I didn't offend you! As for my values, it is said in the Bible: "....and God gave man dominion over the birds and beasts of the field!" I'm pretty sure that means that we eat them!!! He didn't mention dominion over the field itself. No mention was made of chowing down on the veggies! I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to get by on beans and sprouts!!

BTW, coyotes are totally unprotected in the state of Georgia. There is no season and no limit. You can shot them day or night (with a light), 24/7/365!! Georgia game wardens ask that they be shot of sight.

NUFF SAID--THE LINEMAN!
I must admit that I have not seen the things that you have when it comes to coyotes. I don't really think that I have ever seen a coyote in the wild now that I come to think about it. I just don't know a whole lot about coyotes. Forgive my ignorance on the subject.

I'm not a Vegan, a tree huger, or a snowflake and I do understand your desire to hunt for meat and respect the animal. I really do! If I were hungry and it was between myself and the animal, to bad for him. That's self preservation.

I just know that I've done a lot of senseless killing of life on earth and I'll have to atone for that when the time comes. I made a promise to never take any type life again unless there was justification. It sounds like you are justified because of the experiences that you have mentioned. I just didn't know. We're good!

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:38 AM   #8

Nice shooting Keith!

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #9

{sigh} I fer shure understands John's comments... I feel so bad for coyotes here. We vermin... I mean, we humans ... are tearing up their wilderness and drivin' off their prey (okay, so I DID yell at the six damned deer out back eating my hostas last week).

That said: "hierarchy is all!", and our prey outranks their predator... Picture 1: I felt really bad for Mr Chipmunk, when the fox caught him -- but I applauded Mr Fox because the local predators are who I feed the birds (and chipmunks) FOR! (Mrs Munk still comes around for the corn I put out...)

Picture 2: I got to watch a gorgeous hawk tearing a mourning dove into lunch once -- but that is WHY I feed the doves! (Just about 12' from the window!! Watched the whole lunch! In my world, THIS is what bird seed is FOR!)

Picture 3: The corn I put out is actually for the deer... This fine fellow came by one year. Usually it's mom and the babes of various years -- so at least he's doing his duty!

Pix 3 and 4: And then, just cause I CAN put up two more pix: the last two were ON Hallowe'en (!!!!!) 2015. My back yard. No idea (no carcass I could find) WHY they decided to come visit. But WHOO!!!! (Whoa?) Freaky!

Nature, red in tooth and claw! I'm okay with that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fox2.jpg (2.01 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mailhawk.jpg (586.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Buck-1.jpg (775.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vultures1.jpg (968.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg vultures1A.jpg (976.5 KB, 4 views)
Tejun and DaveinNC like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #10

Wink

Originally Posted by Old Timer 57 View Post
I must admit that I have not seen the things that you have when it comes to coyotes. I don't really think that I have ever seen a coyote in the wild now that I come to think about it. I just don't know a whole lot about coyotes. Forgive my ignorance on the subject.

I'm not a Vegan, a tree huger, or a snowflake and I do understand your desire to hunt for meat and respect the animal. I really do! If I were hungry and it was between myself and the animal, to bad for him. That's self preservation.

I just know that I've done a lot of senseless killing of life on earth and I'll have to atone for that when the time comes. I made a promise to never take any type life again unless there was justification. It sounds like you are justified because of the experiences that you have mentioned. I just didn't know. We're good!
John,

I had thoughts while composing my response to you that I might be touching on areas associated with PTSD. I am fairly well acquainted with it. My son was deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and he is affected by PTSD. If I have brought up some sensitive thoughts, please forgive me.

I admit that I am a predator, but I am also a protector. I only shot what I am going to eat, with the exception of coyotes. From my experience, the coyote is the only animal that I know of that will kill purely for the sake of killing.

As I have said, if I stirred up hurtful memories, I am truly sorry. All I can do is thank you for your service to and sacrifice for our country.

SEMPER FI!!! OOH RAH!!

NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member