Going to the range in the morning!! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #1

Going to the range in the morning!!

I'm packin' up my guns and gear for a Sunday morning range trip. The local public range is pretty much empty on Sun. morning ... if I get there around 10 I'll have the place to myself until afternoon.

I mainly want to work with my EDC as I have several new factory rounds to try out. I'll shoot some steel with the 1911s too I'm sure.

My STEELERS play in the late game so I'm planning on shooting in the morning being back for some afternoon football. Should be low 70s early ...low 80s later...no rain... I love the fall ...
Chuck43, Marshall, JC45 and 1 others like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #2

Heading to the range ourselves in the am. I want to put a few more rounds through my 45lc and a couple of boxes of sd ammo down the barrel of my newest Micro 9.
JC45, starnovi and PaulWVa like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

I haven’t been to the range since Labor Day weekend and I’m making it a point to get there this week. I also need to sight in my rifle so maybe I’ll make 2 trips.
PaulWVa likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Visiting a range in my area on a weekend is a waste of time. All the weekend warriors a there, you can't see a lot of them because they're dressed in camouflage. Waits of an hour or more to get a stall are normal and they strictly enforce the 1 hour rule. The range officers will call you on the slightest thing and ask you to leave. I go on weekday mornings and have the place to myself. The 1 hour rule is ignored and I can shoot as long as I want.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Visiting a range in my area on a weekend is a waste of time. All the weekend warriors a there, you can't see a lot of them because they're dressed in camouflage. Waits of an hour or more to get a stall are normal and they strictly enforce the 1 hour rule. The range officers will call you on the slightest thing and ask you to leave. I go on weekday mornings and have the place to myself. The 1 hour rule is ignored and I can shoot as long as I want.
The indoor ranges around here are also a nightmare on weekends. They also enforce the 1 hour rule and I hate feeling rushed when I shoot. An hour isnít bad if Iím shooting alone but when Iím sharing a lane with my wife I need to rush a little more. Iím not a member so they wonít give us two lanes.
Thatís why I prefer the outdoor range around here. They mostly cater to new shooters who rent and they are at the other end of the range. Each renter has an instructor by their side so itís pretty safe. The range officers are all good people who know me. They all love when I let them shoot my 1911ís. The Raptor is always their favorite.
Chuck43 and starnovi like this.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:58 AM   #6
Super Moderator

The closest outdoor range to me is over a hour away and most of them are clubs that you have to be a member of to use.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
The closest outdoor range to me is over a hour away and most of them are clubs that you have to be a member of to use.
The membership fees around here are pretty expensive at the indoor ranges. The outdoor range is about $15 for a year and itís $15 to shoot for as long as you want. They charge $5 per hour for a pulley bay which I always use but they have never charged me for over an hour no matter how long a shoot.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

We used to love Sunday Gunday but have had to change to Thursday or Friday since the range we'll be using is being built and we were going to a private range which is not available Sundays right now. Let us know how it goes!
Chuck43 likes this.
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:36 AM   #9

We belong to 2 indoor ranges, one on the north side the other on the south side. Only the north side range is open on Sundays, but both ranges are packed on the weekends from 11-4. Neither one of them has ever used a 1 hour rule that I am aware of, even when they are packed. We are finally getting into some fall weather where it would be pleasant to shoot outdoors, most of the time it's too hot and humid for it! Have a fun morning, hope it goes well for you.
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.
starnovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Heading to the range ourselves in the am. I want to put a few more rounds through my 45lc and a couple of boxes of sd ammo down the barrel of my newest Micro 9.
Hmmm...I guess that sounded like a great idea at 11:41 pm last night when I arrived home...I woke up with a touch of analglaucoma and that range session can wait....

{analglaucoma = I can't see my arse getting off the couch}......
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote