• 4 Post By 2sharp2
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 1 Post By swca
  • 2 Post By Marshall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
Super Moderator

10/26 1881 Shootout at the OK Corral

On this day in 1881, the Earp brothers face off against the Clanton-McLaury gang in a legendary shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona.

After silver was discovered nearby in 1877, Tombstone quickly grew into one of the richest mining towns in the Southwest. Wyatt Earp, a former Kansas police officer working as a bank security guard, and his brothers, Morgan and Virgil, the town marshal, represented “law and order” in Tombstone, though they also had reputations as being power-hungry and ruthless. The Clantons and McLaurys were cowboys who lived on a ranch outside of town and sidelined as cattle rustlers, thieves and murderers. In October 1881, the struggle between these two groups for control of Tombstone and Cochise County ended in a blaze of gunfire at the OK Corral.

On the morning of October 25, Ike Clanton and Tom McLaury came into Tombstone for supplies. Over the next 24 hours, the two men had several violent run-ins with the Earps and their friend Doc Holliday. Around 1:30 p.m. on October 26, Ike’s brother Billy rode into town to join them, along with Frank McLaury and Billy Claiborne. The first person they met in the local saloon was Holliday, who was delighted to inform them that their brothers had both been pistol-whipped by the Earps. Frank and Billy immediately left the saloon, vowing revenge.

Around 3 p.m., the Earps and Holliday spotted the five members of the Clanton-McLaury gang in a vacant lot behind the OK Corral, at the end of Fremont Street. The famous gunfight that ensued lasted all of 30 seconds, and around 30 shots were fired. Though it’s still debated who fired the first shot, most reports say that the shootout began when Virgil Earp pulled out his revolver and shot Billy Clanton point-blank in the chest, while Doc Holliday fired a shotgun blast at Tom McLaury’s chest. Though Wyatt Earp wounded Frank McLaury with a shot in the stomach, Frank managed to get off a few shots before collapsing, as did Billy Clanton. When the dust cleared, Billy Clanton and the McLaury brothers were dead, and Virgil and Morgan Earp and Doc Holliday were wounded. Ike Clanton and Claiborne had run for the hills.

Sheriff John Behan of Cochise County, who witnessed the shootout, charged the Earps and Holliday with murder. A month later, however, a Tombstone judge found the men not guilty, ruling that they were “fully justified in committing these homicides.”
bhunted, Tejun, Markie and 3 others like this.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

Kurt Russel drew first! ..and Doc Holliday went on to be a great college football coach...
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #3

I remember watching the first movie about the OK with my grandfather when I was around 9 yrs old on the television. It was made in 1957 starring Burt Lancaster & Kirk Douglas.

The other one that I have watched countless times starring Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer and Sam Elliott about the OK was Tombstone made in 1993. Both of the movies had the gunfight lasting much longer than 30 seconds, but that's Hollywood for ya......

Maybe that was the start to my admiration for revolvers back in the day.
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

Been there, seen that. Kind of touristy but still pretty cool to visit. They charge now to see the reenactment of the shootout. We didn't have time to wait for a show.
Would visit again if I get the chance. It was desert hot, hard to get used to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boothill Tombstone AZ.jpg (3.08 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Wagon Tombstone Arizona.jpg (2.71 MB, 1 views)
Chuck43, Marshall, swca and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #5

The OK Corral was nothing compared to the shootouts of today. What hasn't changed is that all the parties involved were jerks. Jerky people usually find what they're looking for.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:09 AM   #6

Don't forget the classic "My Darling Clementine" 1946 Henry Fonda, Walter Brennan
Chuck43 likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

I love History! I am always amazed how they got around in those days. I wanted to stop by Doc's grave last year while we were in Colorado but didn't want to climb a hill.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

I found this on YouTube and we plan on watching it in the morning. I haven't watched this since I was a young lad hanging out with my grandfather. He sure did love this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tg5...has_verified=1
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote