Important Can Wife Open It - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

Important Can Wife Open It

Did I get your attention? In the event of your untimely death can your wife or next of kin open your gun safe? If your safe is like mine it almost has more stuff besides guns in it, important papers, car titles, some money, gold and a little silver, passports you know.
Anyway in 2013 when we almost died, Vickie's oldest son (the cop) was (took charge) if we had of passed nobody could have gotten my safe open...I don't think, the key that unlocks the dial lock is hidden (they possible could have found that) but the numbers are in my head, wife has them written down (in a secret place) don't know if they would have found that.

Since the first of the year I have been trying to get wife to open the safe. I asked several times and answer has always been some other time when I feel better. OK. She claimed she could do it.

Today I'm chillin watching TV, she says she needs a copy of my mothers will out of the safe to send to insurance company. I told her NOPE, I'm not here you OPEN the safe! She protested for about 10 min. but I won. The key ring has two keys on it one is for the lock dial on safe and the other is fire proof safe box inside the safe. Key for dial lock is a 1/4 inch longer (she didn't hear that in prior instructions). She found the hiding place but was trying the wrong key.

I said OK watch me, I'll show you the first time...OK let me try she said. So I moved away, she starts, saying I think that's the number, can't tell if that's it, well no surprise safe won't open. I said honey this lock is precise it is not your locker from high school, you must hit the number and turn the correct directions. Six unsuccessful tries and she says I can't do it. Honey for my piece of mind, if we have to try all day you WILL get this safe open. She said watch me what am I doing wrong. First we had to get her some stronger reading glasses, and I had to hold a flash light so she could see better. She starts L, R, R, L, I said you went the wrong way on the second number...NO, yes, no, Yes. Try again this time L, R, L, R. She got it, she was so excited, said well that wasn't to bad.

Only took her about nine tries. I had her open it three more times. I'm pretty certain she can open it now, not quickly or under stress or duress but she knows she can if needed.
Before pretty certain she would have needed assistance if I had really been unavailable for some reason.

Maybe I'm late to the game everyone has done this already?

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2017, 03:26 AM   #2

I just told mine the combo to my safe on Saturday. She also now knows where all the receipts are too just in case something does happen to me she not only knows how to get in the safe she also will know how much we paid for every gun we own. Dont want her to be the widow that sells a $1k Raptor for $200 just because thats what the buyer said it was worth.
2sharp2 and JC45 like this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #3

My wife knows the safe combination. Her jewelry is the safe. I have a safe deposit box at the bank with most of our important papers, all gun receipts and safe combination. My safe can also be opened with 2 keys. One keyhole is hidden behind the combination pad and that key is in the safe deposit box also.
2sharp2 and PaulWVa like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I don't have a wife and I have the opposite problem........ keeping my son out of my safe.
Marshall, 2sharp2, OLE442 and 4 others like this.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I don't have a wife and I have the opposite problem........ keeping my son out of my safe.
Buddy, I knew you would be the exception to this post.

I have a list of where guns came from, prices and stuff but it needs a total update with pictures and important features.
Chuck43 and Mini Me like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #6

Yep, going through the same thing myself. We have some digital safes that she keeps some jewelry in that we use our universal code we've had since we got married, but when it comes to the other two safes, where most of the important papers and stuff is, she is reluctant. I've got the codes in hidden places she now knows, but I'm sure she would get them mixed up (one has three numbers and the other 4). I've also put sent instructions to our executor, but she has never been over since we got the Will completed to try and unlock.

I was out of town once and she wanted to get a watch out so I walked her through unlocking over the phone. She did ok, but took a few tries. Our big Liberty Safe was in the Townhome when we bought it. I do not have a key on that one, just the dial code. After hearing about one of our members going through the ordeal of an electronic safe being submerged from flooding, I'm gonna stick to the ole tried and true dial safes if at all possible.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post

I have a list of where guns came from, prices and stuff but it needs a total update with pictures and important features.
I have all this information along with pictures burned onto a CD, one copy is in my file cabinet, one in my safety deposit box and one in my son's gun safe at his home in Michigan.
2sharp2, Mini Me and PaulWVa like this.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #8

Of course my wife can open the safe. How else is she supposed to get to her guns?
PaulWVa and wayne like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #9

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post

I took digital pictures of all my guns, both sides, close up of serial numbers and of the receipts then saved on my laptop and a copy on a USB that is tucked away in the safe. May be considered overkill by some but its what i do haha
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #10

Taking digital pics of your guns (other than to post on Net forums ) is smart. Good to have in case of theft or fire or other loss. Of course I have it stored on computer but also on iCloud. If my home is lost due to fire or tornado it won't help me that the data along with everything else for insurance purposes is stored on a computer that's blown off to Kansas or up in smoke. I used to keep everything on a thumb drive in a safety deposit box at a bank.
Mini Me and PaulWVa like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 11-14-2017 at 01:19 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote