• 6 Post By Cybercycle
  • 2 Post By Markie
  • 4 Post By 2sharp2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Pastor packing heat to protect parishioners

Pastor packing heat to protect parishioners

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WRSP) – Fear swept the country after the deadly church shooting in Texas, and it's the scary reality of the world we live in today that anything can happen anywhere, at any time. Fox's Esther Kwon reports about how a local pastor is reassuring his congregation.

A church is a sanctuary - a sacred place for many. However, we've seen churches - along with schools, movie theaters, and malls - become targets for mass shooters.

At Destiny Church in Springfield, it's not just the pews that are packed. Senior Pastor Eric Hansen is packing heat. "It's not something, I guess, that you ever hope to use," he said. "But I don't hope to use the fire extinguishers that are in this room, either."

Pastor Hansen is ready to save your soul and your life. "The pastor, who is charged with protecting sheep, can have that ability," he explained.

Hansen was trained by Doug Schmidgall, a concealed carry instructor and member of the National Rifle Association. Schmidgall said, "Ministers, like anybody else, they've got the right to defend themselves. Why shouldn't he be able to defend himself just like we can defend ourselves?"

Pastor Hansen said during what could be a very vulnerable time, from where he stands, he has a view that others don't. "You have a different perspective, everyone else has their back to the door. So I see everyone that comes in the door."

Laurie S., who wished to withhold her last name, is a member of Destiny Church. She said she's reassured knowing that her pastor is carrying a weapon. "I know that if something happened, he's going to be the first to draw his weapon and start to protect," she explained.

Also, it's not just the pastor who's ready to protect. "I know a lot of the other people at our church that carry, and I'm quite confident with their skills," Laurie said. Destiny Church has a security team of 25 to 30 people in the congregation with conceal carry weapons. Hansen says the team has a plan and is ready to take action.

Pastor Hansen said, "This is why kids have fire drills at school, why we have tornado drills. Why not - because this is the reality of the day - at least have an idea of what we should be doing when something like this happens?" Something unpredictable and dangerous like a mass shooting. It's something the local pastor is prepared for.

"I'm more than happy to stand up in front of my congregation on any given Sunday and say, you know what, a good shepherd would lay down his life for his flock," Pastor Hansen said.

Destiny Church, along with other churches, has a security team and plan in place. At some churches, there are people at the door, including active and retired law enforcement, welcoming you and also keeping an eye out for anything and anyone that might be dangerous.
GiGi, 2sharp2, speedydg13 and 8 others like this.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #2

It's shame that America has reached this point but it's good to know people are fighting back. We still have a long to go but the more armed law abiding citizens we have the better off we are.
Chuck43, GiGi, speedydg13 and 3 others like this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #3

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
It's shame that America has reached this point but it's good to know people are fighting back. We still have a long to go but the more armed law abiding citizens we have the better off we are.
Headline in the local paper today announces the county sheriff is providing security consultations to local churches that ask for them.

Apparently this has been a point of interest for some time with the NC Sheriff's association and some of the counties have begun to consult with local churches.

I'm glad they are!

Russ
Chuck43, GiGi, 2sharp2 and 4 others like this.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #4

Wink

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!!

God And A Gun!!.jpg
Chuck43, GiGi, 2sharp2 and 5 others like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

A lot of interest in "packing" with some our local congregations. My wife even packs for her weekly Bible Study Classes held in a nearby church. My favorite LGS started providing classes on how to secure churches/protect congregations for local church leadership. I'm told the classes are full.
Chuck43, GiGi, 2sharp2 and 3 others like this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

No place is safe anymore...sad to have to carry in a church or anywhere else. Who would have thought 15 years ago that we would be where we are today?
GiGi and 2sharp2 like this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #7

Sad. Like I said before, new church attire: Bible, pistol, switchblade, utility knife, keys, gum, are my pants zipped.

New out in public attire: Pistol, switchblade, utility knife, keys, gum, are my pants zipped.
Markie, JC45, DaveinNC and 1 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308