How an 'ugly,' unwanted weapon became the most popular rifle in America - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Super Moderator

How an 'ugly,' unwanted weapon became the most popular rifle in America

How an 'ugly,' unwanted weapon became the most popular rifle in America

By David Heath, Elise Hansen and AJ Willingham, CNN
Design: Joyce Tseng, CNN
Updated 10:27 AM ET, Thu December 14, 2017

(CNN)Larry Hyatt had never seen such a frenzy.

The lines at Hyatt Guns, his shop in Charlotte, North Carolina, snaked out the door. The deep, green-walled warehouse bills itself as the largest gun shop in America, but even then Hyatt had to stretch to meet the demand.

At one point, he dispatched 37 salespeople to man the cash registers. He put up velvet ropes and hired a police officer. He even put a hot dog stand outside.

It was just after the Sandy Hook massacre -- and customers were lined up to buy AR-15 semi-automatic rifles, like the one the shooter Adam Lanza used.

Mass shootings, rather than temper gun sales, only feed the hunger.

That the boom in business happened after one of the most heinous mass shootings in American history was no coincidence. Mass shootings, rather than temper gun sales, only feed the hunger.

And AR-15 style rifles have become a favorite among mass shooters, used in some of the most notorious and deadly mass killings in recent history: Aurora, Vegas, Texas, San Bernardino.

This is the story of how media hysteria and failed policy; industry pressures and consumer demand; blood and money helped turn an ugly, unwanted semi-automatic rifle into the most popular rifle in America.

Use the link at the top of the page to read the entire story.
Marshall, cousinmark and PaulWVa like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

He's not from this universe, is he?
Chuck43, cousinmark and PaulWVa like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #3

Cnn?

No surprise there, that's what we've come to expect from a fake-news outfit like Crap News Network.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

That is about as entertaining as the reporter who claimed he almost got PTSD from shooting an AR-15 at the range.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Mini Me View Post
That is about as entertaining as the reporter who claimed he almost got PTSD from shooting an AR-15 at the range.
Mini: Right, but keep in mind just how delicate these snowflakes really are.

The sight of spent 5.56 brass flying through the air is truly terrifying!
Chuck43, Jflytle, Mini Me and 3 others like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #6

Well that was a fun read, lol.

One question that hit me: Does anyone use a .223 for hunting and is it a good round?

I've had this discussion before with friends and none of us have used it, but the thought was that the terminal ballistics may not be a great idea. From what I've heard for using it as a defense round, the bullet will tumble in the body and can take an unusual path. Great for incapacitating. However, if this would be assumed to happen in a deer as well, then could you hit the deer in the vitals, but end up with the bullet going through the loins or something? Seems like you could be wasting meat if the bullet tumbles around randomly in the body.

Again, none of the people I knew had personal experience, so I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered this.
cousinmark likes this.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Originally Posted by GoCart View Post
One question that hit me: Does anyone use a .223 for hunting and is it a good round?
Here out west, many use the 223 Rem for coyotes, rock chucks, prairie dogs and ground squirrels....it's a varmint round at best. BUT many use it for deer where legal using either Barnes or Nosler heavy for caliber bullets designed for game, not varmints. Many swear by it. I prefer a more suitable caliber for such use though.

Is it a good round? Guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I've got five of them, all are varmint-only rifles.
Chuck43 and PaulWVa like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Here out west, many use the 223 Rem for coyotes, rock chucks, prairie dogs and ground squirrels....it's a varmint round at best. BUT many use it for deer where legal using either Barnes or Nosler heavy for caliber bullets designed for game, not varmints. Many swear by it. I prefer a more suitable caliber for such use though.

Is it a good round? Guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I've got five of them, all are varmint-only rifles.
Yeah I was talking more specifically for deer hunting. Sorry for not originally clarifying.
Chuck43 likes this.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #9

Originally Posted by GoCart View Post
Yeah I was talking more specifically for deer hunting. Sorry for not originally clarifying.
No worries bud, it's used here by some for deer, although most use at least a .243 Win or better. With Nosler 63gr Partitions, or Barnes 60gr Tipped Triple Shock bullets, it's legal here in Oregon and seems to do the deed inside of 300 yards, but there are MUCH better mule deer or antelope calibers. When using a 223 or 5.56, shot placement is key as always, but even more important with the low energy transfer of the 223.

Personally for deer, I use either a 7mm-08 Ackley Improved or my trusty Winchester M70 in .270 Win. Those are REAL deer killers! I'll save my 223's for varmints......the four legged type found here. Been a long while since I used a 5.56 for the "other" varmints....... (a long time ago in a land far, far away)
Chuck43, Tejun, Jflytle and 3 others like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #10

a long time ago in a land far, far away)

Amen Brother.
Chuck43, Tejun and Rick in Oregon like this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote