What To Do If You Get ‘Flagged’ By Another Gun Owner - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #1

What To Do If You Get ‘Flagged’ By Another Gun Owner

For those unfamiliar, the term ‘flagged’ refers to when a gun owner inadvertently points his pistol in an unsafe direction — sometimes at another person.

If you see another gun owner doing something unsafe, such as inadvertently pointing his gun in an unsafe direction, you can either choose to address it yourself or report the issue to a range safety officer who will then address it.

Now my question is if your range doesn't have an RO on duty or doesn't have one at all what would you do if a fellow shooter "flagged" his gun towards you or another shooter ??
PaulWVa likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #2

Nellybelle and PaulWVa like this.
Hawker800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

What To Do If You Get ‘Flagged’ By Another Gun Owner

Ask him if you can see it, make it safe, take mag and/or ammo and toss it far.
Then stick foot in ass.
Once removed, explain what a dumass he she is.

This happen to me twice in my life. Once when my partner was there. We almost shot the guy. Another by myself. That time, I made him cry after I threatened to stick it up his arse. Took it, rendered it safe, handed it back and told him to leave. He was sad. I was not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Timer 57 and wayne like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

This happens a lot. What many don't know is being to the immediate left of a guy at the range that's flagging you in his lane.
Most places have partitions between each lane. It's that guy that has a loaded gun pointing directly at me (him in his lane and me in mine) screwing with it.
Happens every day.
I have ZERO issues in telling someone to stop pointing their gun at me (flagging).
If they have an issue, I take it to the RO or the front desk.
I don't care if they are offended that I don't want to die.
I'm nice. I'll just mention that they're doing something that will get them kicked out and it's not safe for me.
That's enough. If they puff up....that's tooooo bad.
MPO Southy, DaveinNC, Elf1 and 2 others like this.
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Stand your ground!
Elf1 likes this.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #6

My inside range has bullet proof barriers. Also ROs and cameras. Worse is the outdoor ranges with no barriers. Your head has to be on a swivel all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Spotly and PaulWVa like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #7

A year or so ago a group of young guys were next to us at the range and two of them kept walking out of their stall with a loaded gun and flagging the rest of us. I tapped them both on the shoulder and waved them out to the gun counter where we could talk. I explained my issue with them and one of them apologized and the other just said "whatever" and walked back out to the range.

Our RO named Joe didn't see this happen and I called him outside to explain what was going on. As we both walked back inside the range the "whatever" guy had his gun out of the stall once again and Joe grabbed him and kicked him out of the range immediately.

Personally I will go with my approach when guns are involved and try to keep the situation from escalating into a fight. Education can go along way with new shooters if they want to listen and learn.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #8

I posted this issue on an earlier thread. At our public range, no RO, a lady fired one shot, from an auto, down range then turned 180 ...did not engage the safety...finger on the trigger and "painted" a dozen people. I yelled, "MIND YOUR MUZZLE!!" and pointed down range. Her husband took the gun and explained to her the issue. She didn't shoot again and they left shortly after that.

Made my heart skip a beat or two....it's one reason that when I go to this range I try to get a bench on one of the ends. Then at least I only have to watch for people in one direction. Lot's of people with guns with absolutely no training what-so-ever ...really sad...but watcha' gonna do? ....stay home and dry fire?
DaveinNC and Elf1 like this.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 12-17-2017 at 03:13 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

I have seen this issue several times. I know it is all about money to stay open but the ranges need to keep everyone as safe as they can. There has been three times I reported other shooters to the range officer with nothing happening. One a young girl was shooting waving the pistol all over the range never hit her target, two was last Valentines weekend a group of young people rented several firearms not knowing how to operate any of them, one full auto, they hit my target, and three not knowing they couldn’t use certain types of ammo, they had some armor perusing ammo, in which I got shot from a fragment. Lucky enough all I got was a welt on my stomach. In all three cases my wife and I left the range.
DaveinNC likes this.
Supertool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #10

I know this is kind of dorky, but I took the NRA RO course, so I'm a certified range officer. That and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee, but it was interesting to the extent that they teach you how to deal with unsafe practices and explain it to shooters.

It was fun course, and only took a day.
DaveinNC, PaulWVa and KCJeep like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote