• 11 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By wayne
  • 1 Post By Marshall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Super Moderator

First canned beer goes on sale 1/24/1935

Canned beer makes its debut on this day in 1935. In partnership with the American Can Company, the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Company delivered 2,000 cans of Krueger’s Finest Beer and Krueger’s Cream Ale to faithful Krueger drinkers in Richmond, Virginia. Ninety-one percent of the drinkers approved of the canned beer, driving Krueger to give the green light to further production.

By the late 19th century, cans were instrumental in the mass distribution of foodstuffs, but it wasn’t until 1909 that the American Can Company made its first attempt to can beer. This was unsuccessful, and the American Can Company would have to wait for the end of Prohibition in the United States before it tried again. Finally in 1933, after two years of research, American Can developed a can that was pressurized and had a special coating to prevent the fizzy beer from chemically reacting with the tin.

The concept of canned beer proved to be a hard sell, but Krueger’s overcame its initial reservations and became the first brewer to sell canned beer in the United States. The response was overwhelming. Within three months, over 80 percent of distributors were handling Krueger’s canned beer, and Krueger’s was eating into the market share of the “big three” national brewers—Anheuser-Busch, Pabst and Schlitz. Competitors soon followed suit, and by the end of 1935, over 200 million cans had been produced and sold.

The purchase of cans, unlike bottles, did not require the consumer to pay a deposit. Cans were also easier to stack, more durable and took less time to chill. As a result, their popularity continued to grow throughout the 1930s, and then exploded during World War II, when U.S. brewers shipped millions of cans of beer to soldiers overseas. After the war, national brewing companies began to take advantage of the mass distribution that cans made possible, and were able to consolidate their power over the once-dominant local breweries, which could not control costs and operations as efficiently as their national counterparts.

Today, canned beer accounts for approximately half of the $20 billion U.S. beer industry. Not all of this comes from the big national brewers: Recently, there has been renewed interest in canning from microbrewers and high-end beer-sellers, who are realizing that cans guarantee purity and taste by preventing light damage and oxidation.
Marshall, Dude22, OLE442 and 8 others like this.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

Fascinating, Ken, that canned beer would first debut on my birthday. It's funny to see the evolution of beer packaging. In my lifetime, beer came almost exclusively in steel cans, except for a few weirdos who used glass, but mostly that was seen in bars. Eventually, when premium beers came along, canned beer was looked upon as that for consumers lacking in refined taste. But the downside for premium beer brewers was that if the beer bottle was not handled with care from the brewery to the consumer, it would become skunked. Sloppy handling anywhere along the way would ruin the beer for the conneisseur. The solution? Revisit the can. No longer is there a stigma attached to canned beer, and premium breweries are heartily embracing the can.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:49 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm not a wine drinker but I understand that they are now putting wine in cans. Something about preserving the taste of the wine better and longer.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #4

Wine in a can would be a upgrade from wine in a box. I still prefer my beer in a bottle or a pint glass.
Marshall and DaveinNC like this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

Exclamation Yuck!

I am not a beer drinker by any stretch of the imagination. My few adventures into the world of beer require that I be extremely hot, the beer must be extremely cold and it must be Miller.......... IN A BOTTLE!!!!

miller (2).jpg

Beer in a can tastes like a can!!! BLAH!!!

PUKING!!.jpg

That's just me..................TETO!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 02-09-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #6

Nothing Like Bud Products On Ice

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10304775_782327345121152_179800948596772534_n.jpg (126.2 KB, 4 views)
PaulWVa likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote