Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By cousinmark
  • 4 Post By swca
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Shimano USA

In a world if increasingly mediocre CS I thought I'd mention someone going above and beyond...
I have a Shimano Sustain FE reel I purchased in '08 down in Naples, Fl. It's been my favorite inshore reel since then. Last November I was in Stuart and found the rubberish handle knob was starting to deteriorate :-( I checked a few repair guys in the area but couldn't find a replacement. I found an online vendor that had a few in stock so I ordered one for $22.00, ouch :-( I decided to pop it on the other night as I'm going to be working in Clearwater Beach and am getting ready for my days off. I should have known when I was able to remove the trick nut that retains the knob things were going TOO smoothly. Upon inspection I discovered there are several washers and bushings that are press fit into the knob, yup UT OH :-( I'm not sure how they're supposed to be removed but I opted for the pry on them with a little screwdriver method. I could feel the parts start to move, then POP and it all went flying, I heard ricochets in several areas of our living room. I actually found several of the tiny pieces, the rest are somewhere amidst my daughters toys probably never to be seen again :-(
...so, I called Shimano in CA yesterday and found several the parts are obsolete and the spools for my Sustain won't fit the new model, oh well :-(
...but, the CS guy I spoke with said they had a salvage room :-) He called back an hour later, found a crank arm (one of those obsolete parts), installed a new knob on it, and when I asked what I owed him he said "don't worry about it man, it'll be in the mail today".
Made my day!!! Needless to say when I need a new reel it's going to be a Shimano :-)
Chuck43, RustyIron and GoCart like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

Yep, that is first class customer service !!

I too love the Shimano Reels. My favorite is the old style Curado 200. I have 15 of them Bought some of the Calcuttas when they came out, but my goto reels are usually the Curado's when I head out for a day on the lake.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #3

There used to be a company that made aftermarket handles.....
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #4

More on customer service!

I have been shopping at Costco since they began. They have courteous service. Always helpful with a smile. Well I bought a very nice laptop from them in order to fix my computer problems. I purchased it a couple weeks ago. Costco has a policy if the item you purchased goes on sale within 30 days of your purchase you get the sale price. Well low and behold my laptop went on sale. I was credited $324.00 dollars because it was discounted 300 and the tax difference of 24. One hell of a savings I was not really expecting. I had to point the sale price out to CS and they smiled and took care of it. They have never questioned any returns and always want customer satisfaction. I will always do business with these type of establishments even if the prices were a little higher I believe I would shop there because of the CS!
Chuck43, RustyIron, Tejun and 1 others like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Tejun View Post
Yep, that is first class customer service !!

I too love the Shimano Reels. My favorite is the old style Curado 200. I have 15 of them Bought some of the Calcuttas when they came out, but my goto reels are usually the Curado's when I head out for a day on the lake.
Me too. I have 10 or more Shimano Baitcasting reels I use for bass fishing that I bought back in the late 80's. In the boat right now. They are well made, small and light weight.
Tejun likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)