Recognizing concealed carry permits across state lines - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Recognizing concealed carry permits across state lines

A bill moving through Congress could make state-issued concealed carry permits recognized nationwide. Law enforcement in states with more stringent permit requirements says it's a dangerous idea.

Sunday on 60 minutes.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:51 AM   #2

First off, it would not make things more dangerous in the states with strict CCW. A citizen with a CCW in his or her state, is no less a citizens in other states in the U.S. The problem is the liberal law makes that do not want this to happen.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, MrWicked and 5 others like this.

Last edited by LT5 John; 02-10-2018 at 05:58 AM.
LT5 John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:16 AM   #3

I'm not saying it CAN'T happen but I don't see it getting through the Senate. It seems like an issue ultimately for the Supreme Court, state vs federal question??? I've advocated a "national standard", a national CCW would almost have to incorporate one I would think?
PaulWVa and wayne like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

This idea reminds me of a 1966 Clint Eastwood movie called "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" and I'll believe it when/if it happens.

It could be "good" in some ways, "bad" in other ways, but it's going to get "ugly" before it ever becomes law. There's going to be too many cooks in the kitchen as they say and trying to prepare a meal that all of us like will be difficult to say the least.
Dude22, Mini Me, DaveinNC and 3 others like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
This idea reminds me of a 1966 Clint Eastwood movie called "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" and I'll believe it when/if it happens.

It could be "good" in some ways, "bad" in other ways, but it's going to get "ugly" before it ever becomes law. There's going to be too many cooks in the kitchen as they say and trying to prepare a meal that all of us like will be difficult to say the least.
I would ask you what "the bad" would be with the law passing?
drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #6

Originally Posted by drafter View Post
I would ask you what "the bad" would be with the law passing?
An agreement on mag capacity across the states for one. I don't want some elected officials from unfriendly gun states wanting us here in the Show Me State to have a mag limit at 7 rounds. My permit will allow me to cross into 39 states and I have no desire to visit NY, California or New Jersey. As long as they leave our current states laws alone then I think reciprocity could work, but I don't believe that will happen and that's just my opinion.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #7

One of my favorite comments was from ChattanoogaPhil on another thread about this same topic. He said,

I'm against this national reciprocity scheme.

If signed into law it will be immediately stayed by a conga line of left-wing kook judges. Arguments will include that the Federal government cannot force states to allow entry of untrained gun-toting morons from Georgia endangering the lives of their citizenry. Then comes Schumer and the rest of the Washington anti-gun crowd with national mandatory training standards and other standardized schemes for permit issuance. No thanks.

Most of the offending anti-gun states that currently won't enter into a reciprocity agreement with other states don't give a rats ass what the Feds say (think sanctuary policies) so I would never consider carrying into those anti-gun jurisdictions anyway. Proceed at your own peril.

Bottom line... it's gateway for Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi to meddle with your carry permit. I've expressed my displeasure with the NRA for supporting it

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/off...e-lines-2.html
Old 02-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
A bill moving through Congress could make state-issued concealed carry permits recognized nationwide. Law enforcement in states with more stringent permit requirements says it's a dangerous idea.
It's interesting that 60 Minutes would write on this without going into some kind of leftist frenzy. If THAT can happen, ANYTHING can happen.

I fully support the philosophical drive behind such a bill, but I'm skeptical of the potential ramifications. For instance, suppose you like to conceal your AR15 pistol with it's forty round magazine. Even with national reciprocity, I doubt you'd be able to legally carry it in New Jersey and California. We all know that politicians like to make deals. Suppose that your Senators amended the reciprocity bill to include a national limit on magazine capacity? Such a deal is much more probable than passing a bill that purely allows national reciprocity. Be careful what you ask for.
Marshall, PaulWVa, wayne and 1 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
Super Moderator

You have to learn to walk before you can run, I think a good start would be passing this bill that would make states recognize your carry permit.

For example my Illinois permit is not recognized in the state of Colorado right now. If the bill is passed then Colorado would be forced to honor it. If I had to abide by their local laws when visiting there then so be it, it's better then not being able to carry at all.
Insta-Gator, PaulWVa and GoCart like this.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I challenge them to compare violent crime statistics between the various States. IMO, these "stringent" States are suffering from an irrational fear that law abiding citizens will suddenly become crazed killers rather than lawful defenders of themselves and others.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote