02-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Join Date: Nov 2017
Oh and here's a summary for those that don't have time:
Everytown for Gun Safety reported 18 school shootings in 2018. The story has been shared a lot on social media and reported by news organizations.
Included in those 18 shootings:
- 1/3/18, man commits suicide in parking lot of school that had been closed for 7 months.
- 1/10/18, bullet hit a campus window at 6 p.m., probably fired from off campus.
- 1/20/18, man shot at sorority at 1 a.m.
- 1/27/18, gun fired in parking lot at 8 p.m., no injuries.
- 2/5/18, girls accidentally pulls trigger of police officer's holstered pistol, no injuries.
- 5 of the 18 occurred during school hours resulting injury.
- 2 of the 18 were by peace officers by accident with no injury.
This is the same group that reports a school shooting has occurred about once a week since 2013. They've also counted a man shot on school property at 2 a.m., an accidental discharge of a firearm in a glove box in the parking lot, teens shooting at a high school on midnight of New Year's Eve when no one was inside.
I've not done the research to find out many mass and school shootings have occurred since Whitman in 1966 so I can't say for certain whether they have increased or not. The only thing I can say for certain is that the media has loved to give them more and more attention as time goes on.