Off to go look at cars - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #1

Off to go look at cars

I'm not a car guy, so this isn't something I'm really looking forward to. Still, I have to do it, so I'm going to see if you folks have any thoughts.

I am looking for a sedan. 2016, 0r 2017. I do not want a truck or SUV. I don't really need all wheel drive.

I'm thinking of a Camry, Accord, Mazda 6, or maybe an Altima. A Maxima would be nice, but probably more than I want to spend.

Any experience with any of these cars, or something similar?
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #2

Mazda6 is the nicest looking car in that category. Test drove one several years ago and loved it. Ended up getting a BMW 325. Might want to check them out as well. I’ve had about 7 BMWs over the years and love them. The 3-series is surprisingly affordable and a lot of fun to drive. Don’t listen to the BMW haters, they really are awesome cars.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #3

I wouldn't mind checking them out, but my wife says no
BMW's. Too expensive to repair, according to her.
Shootinit and GoCart like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I wouldn't mind checking them out, but my wife says no
BMW's. Too expensive to repair, according to her.
That’s a common misconception. Their new warranty programs are pretty robust. If you are looking for a 2015/16 it will probably come with a factory warranty, plus you can get a BMW extended warranty as well pretty cheaply from the dealership. It’s definitely worth a look-see.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #5

I had a loaded 2018 Camera as a loaner last week when I took my current car in for service. I was very impressed. It is practically a luxury car. My girl has a midrange ‘17 Accord which is also very nice. A few of my co-workers have Altimas which they love, and buy exclusively. The models competing in this segment are all within throwing distance of each other. It will really come down to personal taste, rebates, and what’s available on the lot. If you are into design however, don’t look up what a DLO Fail is. That severely ruined most cars for me, from an aesthetic perspective.
Aribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

Grew up in Toyotas (great cars!). I have bought my own 4 Accords (well, the last one was a wedding present from Michael!). I was going to buy my 5th Accord in 2012, but MAN were they ever ugly! Got the Hyundai Sonata (Sport) sedan (always want a 4-door).

Amazingly -- in 2012 (and I believe since!) Hyundai BEAT OUT Honda and Toyota in J.D. Powers (think they're made in KY) -- it may still be ahead! Although I think KIA (Hyundai's parent) has pulled ahead of Hyundai in J.D. Powers.

My lovely 2012 Sonata -- and I got the Sport edition because I was trading in my late husband's old Lexus IS = almost a sports car; so a nice tight suspension -- the 'family' version of the Sonata was lovely, but I found it horribly 'boat-like' swimming around corners. The Sport edition had the tighter suspension.

Then when the Sonata was about 4 (and I always kept cars for 8-10 years!) -- I began drooling over the online pix of the KIA NIRO. (O.M.G.!!!) Ended up trading in the Sonata (I tease my neighbor that the ashtrays were full so I had to replace it! And, no I don't smoke!)

Review of the NIRO back when I got it here: https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kim...-review-4.html

This past Nov, driving the couple hours in rush hour traffic down to the ATL airport, I kept noticing how MUCH I still love my NIRO -- it's a year old now, and it still ACTIVELY pleases me when I drive it. Still getting around 54 mpg. I fill up once a month, or a month and a week.

It IS a new car, not used (probably not many if any used ones) -- but it's also a baby sport-ute. Honest-to-god! Three 6' adults fit in back (and no "hump", so no uncomfortable footies!) The ceiling in surprisingly high, so no brushing your hair on the ceiling! AND I can get 16 bags of mulch in the back!!

Under $29k. And I got it three days after they arrived in the U.S. / at the dealer! AND I was so .... jazzed by seeing it that I didn't even bargain. I have NEVER bought a car without bargaining till the salesguy cries!! (I did get the sales mgr to offer me 0.9% interest, cause USAA was offering 0.99%. So, I threw $7k cash at him, got ~$8k for the Hyundai, and financed the rest.)

So, I know that's maybe a lot more than you want to spent -- esp. since you may not want a new car...But take a look. Brilliant little cars! Comfortable as all get out! Great visibility all the way round. (I'm a stickler for that!)

That's my ... er ./.. ~$29k (It may have been $28k -- long time ago...) Brilliant wonderful car!

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 02-17-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

(In fact, when I was bargaining to buy my 'wedding present' car at the Atlanta Honda dealer, Michael finally pulled me to a halt and told me to let the guy make a tiny bit of profit. I guessed Michael had never done all the research on buying a car: the guy AND the dealer would have made out fine, even if I pushed them as far as a I could. But Michael wanted me to pretend to be a gracious lady... {shrug} It was his money, his present for me! God I MISS that man!)
Tejun likes this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #8

Apps47 posted a link to a great deal on a Camry.

Sorry... couldn't resist.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #9

hemi charger in grey
wayne likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

BMW's certified preowned program is a pretty good deal. Reasonable prices and warranty that is better than a brand new one. My wife had been buying new BMWs but decided to get a CPO X5. Warranty was up to 100K miles and all maintenance like oil, filters etc included for four years. They provided a loaner when it was in for maintenance. she has had nothing but good experiences with BMW for four vehicles.

She did venture over to a Range Rover and had terrible experiences with warranty and service. Ended up trading it for the X5 and pledged to never go near a Range Rover dealer ever again.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote