Image of gun owners - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Image of gun owners

Okay... we'd all like every gun owner to be like Charlton Heston in public. Got it. But when I hear complaining about the image of gun owners and hurting gun rights I very much reject that. Let me tell a recent story we should all be aware of anyway.

Open Carry Texas.

Texas had banned open carry of handguns for over 100 years. A small number of mostly young guys and some gals started a group called Open Carry Texas. They weren't well organized and some wouldn't pass an appearance exam or score genius on an IQ test. However, they wanted the right to open carry handguns in Texas and were willing to publicly stand and fight for their freedom. They decided the best way to bring public attention to their greivences was public demonstration carrying rifles. Some gun owners were horrified at such an image.

They were criticized and ridiculed by a lot of gun owners. Called idiots, goofs and countless derogatory names. They were accused of hurting the image of gun owners, predicted open carry law would never pass and that gun rights in Texas would actually be lost because of them. Despite their critics, the men and women of Open Carry Texas continued to carry their rifles to bring public attention to their grievances.

The NRA and other gun rights groups said they didn't even have open carry on their agenda and really didn't know what to make of it. Some levied harsh criticisms against Open Carry Texas. Despite their critics, the group continued to publicly demonstrate with their rifles. Similar open carry advocate groups began doing the same.

They won. Their critics were proved wrong. Open carry of handguns was made legal due to these men and women willing to stand up and fight for their freedom... no thanks to their gun-owning critics who spent their time and energy criticizing them and predicting doom.

Fighting for freedom... that's the winning image.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 02-20-2018 at 09:14 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Well, that's not actually how it happened but it was a good read anyway. You can thank the Texas Senate for making this a reality. Those "nuts" were just a byproduct of a bill that was already gaining momentum at the capital. There's so much more to it than how you explain it Phil.
Chuck43, GoCart and Doons like this.

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #3

Doesn't really address the "gun image" problem. Texas is pretty famous for it's gun culture. It's not surprising that open carry passed there. However, people in California, NJ, NY and other hard left states actually point to things like that as an example of how NOT to be. Many, if not most, Californians actually believe everyone in the south east are ignorant hillbillies. They make fun of our 2A rights and honestly believe they know what is best for everyone. I lived in San Diego for 5 years. The whole place is a mess. I assume NY, NJ, and other far left states are the same. That's the image we have to fight. We look at open carry in Texas as a victory, they look at it as a huge failure of society and blame the evil NRA and the brainwashed, idiot, toothless, southern gun owners who desperately cling to their guns and bibles. They are doing a very good job of spreading that image.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Old Timer 57 View Post
Well, that's not actually how it happened but it was a good read anyway. You can thank the Texas Senate for making this a reality. Those "nuts" were just a byproduct of a bill that was already gaining momentum at the capital. There's so much more to it than how you explain it Phil.
Damn skippy OT!
Sig Nightmare Carry .45
Sig P229 Legion .40

Tomorrow is promised to no one.
Doons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Old Timer 57 View Post
My account is right on target.

The Open Carry demonstrators took the issue to the people and won. They drove the public debate with their demonstrations. It got to be such a hot issue that even anti-gun NRA F rated democrat Wendy Davis switched positions in her gubernatorial campaign against Abbot and supported open carry even though she had been totally against open carry. Stunning. The defeated Davis would later confess that she flip-flopped because the open carry demonstrations had superheated the debate to the point that she felt she had no choice. Open Carry rifle demonstrations were going on in her home town of Tarrant. I could go on and on... I followed this from beginning to end.

If you'd like to discuss the "much more to it" please do. But your depiction of some sort of done deal that the open carry demonstration guys just rode home isn't true.

I talked to a lot of pompous Texas gun owners who hated the Open Carry groups. Called them "nuts" and all sorts of names. Said open carry would never pass. Said that open carry demonstrations would be a huge problem for image and end up losing gun rights. They were wrong, wrong, wong. They probably now have a much different version of history.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 02-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #6

I'm curious, Phil....do you foresee more or less gun regulations on the horizon? Texas and Illinois were able to reduce regulations. Is that going to spread? Me, I see a whole wave of new restrictions headed our way. What do you see for the future?
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

I see bump stocks banned, a 21-year-old age limit on semi automatic rifle purchases, enhanced background checks and a TSA like system for guarding our students while they are in school.
PaulWVa and Karens like this.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #8

Originally Posted by NewStainless View Post
I'm curious, Phil....do you foresee more or less gun regulations on the horizon? Texas and Illinois were able to reduce regulations. Is that going to spread? Me, I see a whole wave of new restrictions headed our way. What do you see for the future?
Didn't I already answer that in your other thread? Let me check... ah yes.

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/off...tml#post756106 Post #45

"I don't believe we'll see things like gun bans. Republican political suicide.
Maybe the ATF will do something with SlideFire.

I think we'll see things like Trump has already talked about. School security, mental health programs as well doing a better job of getting mental health records on prohibited people into the NICS database, and improve FBI tip line response. Maybe some tweaks to background checks."

---------------------------

Well, my first hunch was right but Trump didn't wait for the ATF to rule. Just today Trump announced that he instructed Jeff Sessions to propose law banning devices that turn "weapons into machine guns". Read Slidefire (bumbstocks). Hopefully they won't get carried away and try to ban my package of rubber bands that does the same damn thing as a bumpstock.
Cucamonga kid and Mini Me like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 02-20-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #9

they never should have been approved in the first place
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 4.03.18 PM.png (21.6 KB, 3 views)
Old Timer 57 likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #10

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
My account is right on target.

The Open Carry demonstrators took the issue to the people and won. They drove the public debate with their demonstrations. It got to be such a hot issue that even anti-gun NRA F rated democrat Wendy Davis switched positions in her gubernatorial campaign against Abbot and supported open carry even though she had been totally against open carry. Stunning. The defeated Davis would later confess that she flip-flopped because the open carry demonstrations had superheated the debate to the point that she felt she had no choice. Open Carry rifle demonstrations were going on in her home town of Tarrant. I could go on and on... I followed this from beginning to end.

If you'd like to discuss the "much more to it" please do. But your depiction of some sort of done deal that the open carry demonstration guys just rode home isn't true.

I talked to a lot of pompous Texas gun owners who hated the Open Carry groups. Called them "nuts" and all sorts of names. Said open carry would never pass. Said that open carry demonstrations would be a huge problem for image and end up losing gun rights. They were wrong, wrong, wong. They probably now have a much different version of history.
Phil - You are entiltled to believe whatever you think the true version is and I support your right to do so. That's the great thing about democracy, freedom to think whatever you like. Afterall, we are not communists. I however, see this from a different perspective.
Chuck43, Marshall, Karens and 1 others like this.

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote