Florida law makers Reject AR15 Ban - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 03:41 AM   #1

Florida law makers Reject AR15 Ban

Florida law makers rejected a ban on AR15's as well as reducing mag capacity to 7 rnds. in any weapon... banning AR15's and mag capacity does not change mentally ill people who want to take lives...
LT5 John is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #2

That's correct but making it illegal for the "mentally ill" to purchase or own firearms could potentially help. Expanding the scope of prohibited individuals would be an uphill battle though? You'll have the far right worried someone could "accidentally" get flagged. On the other end the ACLU types would claim it's a medical condition and so is private. With the President's new "bump stock" stance and his previous repeated comments about the "mentally ill" I think we could see movement in that direction, maybe soon? Like I mentioned in another thread I'm for doing anything that will potentially help. JMO
Chuck43 and Karens like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 AM   #3

The Florida state House rejected consideration of a ban 36-71. Not even close. Their 2018 session ends March 9th. Any notion of an AR ban appears to be dead.

I'm curious about Chicken Little gun owners. Will they be pleased or disappointed that their sky is falling predictions of AR15 ban didn't happen even at ground zero Florida?
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #4

Originally Posted by LT5 John View Post
Florida law makers rejected a ban on AR15's as well as reducing mag capacity to 7 rnds.
Oh was that what the talk was about? All I saw were headlines that said "...rejects ban on assault rifles." It left me wondering, aren't assault rifles already "banned" under the NFA, or do they just consider those "restricted?" I didn't realize they were talking about AR-15s. Of course the AP article that I read didn't give any details either.
DaveinNC likes this.

Last edited by GoCart; 02-21-2018 at 08:39 AM.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28058468_1646866288695575_7172718821982417148_n.jpg (60.0 KB, 5 views)
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #6
wfm

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
The Florida state House rejected consideration of a ban 36-71. Not even close. Their 2018 session ends March 9th. Any notion of an AR ban appears to be dead.

I'm curious about Chicken Little gun owners. Will they be pleased or disappointed that their sky is falling predictions of AR15 ban didn't happen even at ground zero Florida?
"Chicken little gun owners" with the current winds blowing the way they are right now, I think there will be changes, not a AR ban but some kind of changes. Just my view, am I a chicken little gun owner Phil, not by a long shot.
cousinmark likes this.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #7

Originally Posted by wfm View Post
"Chicken little gun owners" with the current winds blowing the way they are right now, I think there will be changes, not a AR ban but some kind of changes. Just my view, am I a chicken little gun owner Phil, not by a long shot.
I agree. I assume that there will be restrictions coming. Total ban? Of course not. It's the most popular rifle in the country. That is not going to happen. Ban on 10+ magazines? Likely. Ban on anything that artificially increases the rate of fire? That will happen. Phil likes to call anyone who predicts new regulations on the horizon as "chicken little". He's a "cold, dead hands" guy who seems to think the 2A will preserve our rights because it always has. Does anyone think current regulations will remain unchanged?
cousinmark and Karens like this.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #8

Originally Posted by NewStainless View Post
I agree. I assume that there will be restrictions coming. Total ban? Of course not. It's the most popular rifle in the country. That is not going to happen. Ban on 10+ magazines? Likely. Ban on anything that artificially increases the rate of fire? That will happen. Phil likes to call anyone who predicts new regulations on the horizon as "chicken little". He's a "cold, dead hands" guy who seems to think the 2A will preserve our rights because it always has. Does anyone think current regulations will remain unchanged?
Well the fight is generational. I certainly believe that it will change when Generation Z starts to have enough influence.

You have to look at their situation though. Those going through schooling now get slammed with media of all these mass shooting tragedies. Also, not only do they have to face peer pressure in school now, they get slammed by social media criticism as well. This high feedback loop for enforcing the same views discourages any dissenting thoughts--well meaning or otherwise. I think I'll be witness to liberal views of gun rights overtaking the balance in my lifetime.

As far as for when that happens, I have no idea. I doubt we'll see much for Federal regulation change while Trump is in office. States will continue to waffle between greater and lesser restrictions based on regional opinions. Depending on how many domestic "tragedies" get thrown in our face, it could happen within the next few presidencies. Ultimately though, unless there is a "grand mass turmoil with society breaking down in the face of rampant gun violence" changes really won't happen until Gen Z takes office.

You can say that we went through "gun violence troubles" around the '90s too and nothing really changed, but I feel that it's affecting the upcoming generation differently this time. Not necessarily because of scope of violence, but because of the virality of today's media atmosphere invading social opinions.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #9

Guns at School

All this illustrates to me just how much our culture has changed here in the USA. I'm a naturalized citizen, immigrated here from Canada in 1952 as a minor with my parents (immigrated LEGALLY, imagine that!)

Anyway, I remember while living there again while in high school in southern BC during fall, many of us boys would take our .22LR single shot rifles to school with a box of ammo for the walk home, shooting grouse for the dinner pot.

We were required to put our unloaded rifles with open bolts in the "cloak room", and give the ammo to the teacher which then put it in his/her desk. After school, we picked up our rifles and ammo, headed home to pork some birds. NEVER did any of us shoot up the school, fellow classmates or anything else. But firearms and ammunition were with us in school.

Can someone please tell me exactly WHAT HAS HAPPENED? And why? I just don't understand.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

Absent parents, drugging kids, removed God from of school, removed discipline from school, violent video games... on and on... pick your flavor.

Give a boy a dog and let em run around in the woods... he'll be fine. Trap him in a concert jungle, drug him and put a TV in front of him to replace a parent... maybe things don't turn out so well.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 02-21-2018 at 02:43 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote