• 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 1 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 1 Post By NewStainless
  • 3 Post By ChattanoogaPhil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

NRA's Wayne LaPierre Speaks at CPAC

For those of you who didn't watch or hear NRA's Wayne LaPierre speak at the CPAC 2018 Conference here's the speech.

Tell us what you thought of it after watching it.

Jflytle, cousinmark and LT5 John like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #2

Wow! I've got to say that Wayne certainly put things into perspective. I know I have given the NRA a very hard time in the past and recently, but I think (not sure just yet) they may have improved to the point that I may join the rank and file of this organization. We live in extraordinary times and it now calls for a different strategy. I'll seriously consider their agenda. Thanks for posting this Marshall!

Semper Fi

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP
Kimber Stainless Micro 9mm
Old Timer 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #3

...didn't look like he was reading off a teleprompter??? You don't see that much. Even if he was, some great points were stated. Too bad the conference was given so little (basically ZERO) attention in the media :-(
Chuck43 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2018, 03:50 AM   #4

WOW, very moving speech...Law abiding citizens of this country who value there freedoms, best heed the warnings that the liberal progressives are hell bent on destroying our country!!
LT5 John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #5

This is how I grade most LaPeirre speeches.

Content A

Delivery C

I have long complained that the NRA needs another face.
NewStainless likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:31 AM   #6

This is A+.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?90857-...ciation-future
Marshall likes this.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...didn't look like he was reading off a teleprompter??? You don't see that much. Even if he was, some great points were stated. Too bad the conference was given so little (basically ZERO) attention in the media :-(
I watched it on CSPAN yesterday and I wouldn't say it got zero attention in the media. Here's just a few of the ones who covered it live.

NBC
https://www.nbcnews.com/video/nra-ch...-1167569987611

CBS
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nra-way...c-live-stream/

CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/polit...nra/index.html

NPR
https://www.npr.org/2018/02/22/58791...ke-of-shooting
Old 02-23-2018, 07:19 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Old Timer 57 View Post
Wow! I've got to say that Wayne certainly put things into perspective. I know I have given the NRA a very hard time in the past and recently, but I think (not sure just yet) they may have improved to the point that I may join the rank and file of this organization. We live in extraordinary times and it now calls for a different strategy. I'll seriously consider their agenda. Thanks for posting this Marshall!
I agree. I haven't always agreed with the NRA's stance on a lot of things...and I still don't agree with some of it. However I do support the 2A and the simple fact is that if not for the NRA our 2A rights would have been amended (if not totally revoked) a long time ago. They are THE biggest dog in the fight and deserve our support, even if you don't agree with everything they do.
Cybercycle likes this.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #9

After watching this again my thoughts went to wondering if the NRA will back the POTUS with some/any of the things that he will want to change to the current laws and risk upsetting many of the voters that backed him during the election.

President Trump wants to keep assault rifles out of the hands of anyone under 21 and has ordered his Justice Department to work toward banning rapid-fire bump stocks like the ones used in last year's Las Vegas massacre, but officials aren't sure they can. Trump's surprise order this week comes as officials from the department of the ATF are well into a review of whether they can regulate the devices without action from Congress.

Will the NRA stick with the status quo or will they be flexible and accept new changes to the current laws ?
Old 02-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

Will the NRA stick with the status quo or will they be flexible and accept new changes to the current laws ?
NRA threw bumbstocks under the bus before the smoke cleared in Vegas. Trump and the NRA are on the same page.

NRA has been calling for an end to gun free zones ever since the Gun-Free Zones Act of 1990 was put into law. Same page.

NRA has been calling for providing more and better mental heath records submitted to NICS for a very long time, at least 10 years back to Virginia Tech. Same page. Much beyond that I'm not sure Trump will get NRA support.

NRA has been calling for stepped up prosecutions when prohibited people attempt to purchase (lying on 4473) and generally more Federal prosecution of crimes committed with guns since forever. Same page.

** The NRA has already publicly objected to Trump's support of raising the age limit.

----------------

There's a lot of agreement.

I use Trump as the barometer because I think he's the one who is going to drive this debate. Republicans in congress want cover for doing anything related to guns. Trump is their cover.
Chuck43, Marshall and Old Timer 57 like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 02-23-2018 at 03:23 PM.