• 4 Post By PaulWVa
  • 3 Post By LT5 John
  • 5 Post By Gmountain
  • 1 Post By NewStainless
  • 1 Post By cousinmark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

My US Rep just called for an Assault Weapons Ban

Our first term Republican congressman just called for a ban on AR15's. Not good at all. I knew from the first time I met him he was not a gun rights supporter.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...les/367719002/

Calling on his Army experience in Afghanistan, U.S. Rep. Brian Mast, a Palm City Republican, wants to ban future sales of assault rifles.

In a column appearing Friday on The New York Times website, Mast calls for defining "what constitutes an assault or tactical firearm and not allowing them for future purchase ó just as we already prohibit the purchase of fully automatic firearms."

Also, he wants:

Background checks on every firearm purchaser
Banning the sale of "accessories and add-ons that circumvent the ban on automatic firearms"
Increasing the minimum age for buying "various categories of firearms," without mentioning specifics
Making sure people who have been detained for mental illness or ordered by a court to receive treatment for mental illness, cannot buy firearms
Ensuring possible terrorists, determined "through a system of due process," can't a firearm
Making sure anyone "threatening to shoot or blow up a school, in word or on social media, is placed on an FBI watch list for a long time
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #2

Sounds like he wants a second term and he's playing the voters like a violin or committing political suicide.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #3

NRA just gave that turncoat $4,950 of our membership monies to fight for our rights, not surrender them.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

[QUOTE=
Making sure anyone "threatening to shoot or blow up a school, in word or on social media, is placed on an FBI watch list for a long time[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it seems that all the FBI does these days is "watch" ... it's about time they acted. The FBI is not what it use to be. But I'm sure they'll protect us all from the evil NCAA buying basketball players dinners and plane tickets.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Our first term Republican congressman just called for a ban on AR15's. Not good at all. I knew from the first time I met him he was not a gun rights supporter.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...les/367719002/

Calling on his Army experience in Afghanistan, U.S. Rep. Brian Mast, a Palm City Republican, wants to ban future sales of assault rifles.

In a column appearing Friday on The New York Times website, Mast calls for defining "what constitutes an assault or tactical firearm and not allowing them for future purchase Ė just as we already prohibit the purchase of fully automatic firearms."

Also, he wants:

Background checks on every firearm purchaser
Banning the sale of "accessories and add-ons that circumvent the ban on automatic firearms"
Increasing the minimum age for buying "various categories of firearms," without mentioning specifics
Making sure people who have been detained for mental illness or ordered by a court to receive treatment for mental illness, cannot buy firearms
Ensuring possible terrorists, determined "through a system of due process," can't a firearm
Making sure anyone "threatening to shoot or blow up a school, in word or on social media, is placed on an FBI watch list for a long time

Being from Florida myself, he just lost my vote!! Hopefully another republican will run against him and vote his A** back out!
Chuck43, Marshall and Supertool like this.
LT5 John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #6

I've had a couple people call me tonight. I'm thinking of running as a Libertarian.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #7

We need to figure out who is at fault for these kids who shoot up schools. Is it Colt? Bushmaster? The FBI? Or is it TEACHERS?

Teachers are a key influence on the development of children. They interact with kids more hours every day than do the parents. Teachers have influence, and more opportunity to set the kids straight if they run astray.

So if fingers are to be pointed, who is the most at fault?

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #8

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
We need to figure out who is at fault for these kids who shoot up schools. Is it Colt? Bushmaster? The FBI? Or is it TEACHERS?

Teachers are a key influence on the development of children. They interact with kids more hours every day than do the parents. Teachers have influence, and more opportunity to set the kids straight if they run astray.

An interesting thought. I donít know if they are most at fault, but I do know they complain more about their job than any other occupation. If itís that miserable, go find a different job. Stop bitching and whining. Many teachers have no business being around kids. Bitter, angry, just there to collect a paycheck. Saw it first hand when I was stationed in California.
cousinmark likes this.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #9

I can't say I'm surprised, politically with all the millennials and younger voters wanting the guns banned he may be looking to gain their favor. Maybe he just thinks they should be banned?
I noticed Palm City on the article Gmountain posted. If you want to get your mind on something other than this, have dinner at a little Italian restaurant on Federal Highway. Doesn't look like much from the outside, it's called Mario's, probably some of the best Italian food I've had outside my family's. Most everything is made in house, it's SO rich you'll start wondering if you heart will be able to handle it. Really takes your mind off life's other challenges :-) So good it's almost impossible to not overeat.
Old Timer 57 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #10

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post

You're still playing the blame game. To point the finger solely at the teachers is as pointless as doing it to anyone else.

Originally Posted by karenschro View Post
It takes a village.
That little sentence has far more wisdom behind it than it would seem on the face of it. Do some teachers suck? Sure. Here is an article about a teacher that doesn't. Be forewarned though, it has a lot of fluff in it, so if you don't get through it, I don't blame you.

The foundation for a kid's behavior still needs to come from parents, I believe. Yes, there is an incredible amount of influence from other sources today, but I still feel that no one--not even a teacher, no matter how good they are--should have more of a vested interest than a child's parents.

There is no magic answer though. Look at the Florida case, lots of red flags were raised and it still didn't help. It sounds like his mother certainly didn't his help case out by raising him properly, but who knows? It's easy to play the blame game, but I wasn't there, so I can't say what she did and didn't do. Plus doesn't he have a brother that turned out fine?

No system is perfect, but it doesn't help to blame any singular part of it either--parents, teachers, government, it really comes down to a society issue and there isn't any real easy answer. Hopefully as long as we keep trying to fix the little things, we'll get there. But society and cultural views change slowly.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote