Do You Support A Strengthened NICS System - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Do You Support A Strengthened NICS System

With the debate heating up after the recent school shooting in Florida one of the hot topics is strengthening the NICS background check system to include more information on mentally-ill people.

Would a stronger background check accomplish anything.? Would a new way to determine if someone is mentally unfit to own a firearm make a difference.? Would it matter to you if somewhere down the road background checks would include your medical records to see if you're on depression meds or have had a mental breakdown in the past ?
PaulWVa, wayne and Karens like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #2

anyone taking prednisone could snap at any moment.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

I am sorry all this amounts to is politics. The FBI and other organizations do not even act on all the information they already have. There have been at least two shootings could have been stopped if they acted on info they had. More information is just going clog the machine even more. THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT CARE IF WE SHOOT EACH OTHER. THEY JUST WANT TO BE ELECTED TO THERE NEXT TERM IN OFFICE!
Hawker800 likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

No.

I don't support the GCA of 1968 nor any part of the FFL system.

A. It's unconstitutional.

B. It's an ineffective feel-good waste of time and money.
swca likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

I haven't thought very much about that but I wish they would more severely prosecute straw purchasers.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #6

I think thoroughly implementing the process that exists would be a great start. Beyond that I think it's a foregone conclusion that there WILL be expanded restrictions for "mental illness". I doubt it will be as drastic as many of you are presuming? Cruz is a good example, I don't believe he had been convicted of anything but it was fairly obvious there was a problem.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #7

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
No.

I don't support the GCA of 1968 nor any part of the FFL system.

A. It's unconstitutional.

B. It's an ineffective feel-good waste of time and money.
Meh, I feel that we've put ourselves in a place as a society where we need gun controls. If every system worked perfectly, then we wouldn't need any.

What about ex-convicts and those that have committed violent crimes? Well, conceptually, the whole idea of the prison system isn't to separate the bad guys, it's to reform them. If they were truly reformed, then they could own a firearm just like everyone else.

What about children? If society raised them properly, then they should be fine going into a store and buying a gun as well. I could pass on the story of how my dad when into a general store in the '50s in North Dakota and bought a .22 at 12 years old. It was a different time.

What about crazy people? Again if society as a whole took the time to care enough to identify these people, get them help, and either rehabilitate them or commit them to institutions, we'd have nothing to worry about.

Remember 2A says "..the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." It doesn't limit that to firearms either. Firearms, ordnance, artillery, explosives, munitions; there wouldn't be any need to regulate any of that if the other controls in our society worked and our society itself had as much sense as ChattanoogaPhil.

Since it doesn't, I can never be convinced that we'd be completely fine without some form of regulation in today's world, especially on explosives. However, I certainly don't have the answer on what makes the most sense either and I think it changes as society does.

If you were to ask me, I'd say regulate like car licenses. With different levels of licensing for different classes of firearms. Just like commercial drivers need a class C license, have the equivalency of training and testing for automatics. To extend the example even further, aircraft, which are far more complicated, are essentially still vehicles and take that much more to get licensed. Do the same for explosives which are generally limited to commercial roles. In essence you haven't banned anything. Does regulation still count as infringement? Probably, but that's why I said today's society is too stupid and lacks enough common sense to handle no gun contols.

Yes, yes there are plenty of holes with that oversimplified view too, but my main point is that the currents controls are so broken that it might be better to just repeal and replace at this point instead of trying to amend at all.
cousinmark and Silverbullet like this.

Last edited by GoCart; 02-24-2018 at 12:57 PM.
GoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #8

anyone can buy explosives..aka gas, moth balls, gun powder,ect
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #9

No, I would not support more NICS checks. If someone is crazy,then their family or doctor should have them in an institution.
LT5 John likes this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #10

That makes perfect sense GoCart, even with more restrictions we've still got a problem though. Like the old adage says "guns don't kill people, people kill people". There's a lot of sick MFers out there that will unfortunately probably find a way to cause others harm without a firearm.
...for the record I support "qualifying" for any CCW.
Karens likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote