Retired Cops do this...Hero911 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike240

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

Retired Cops do this...Hero911

Several years ago when I first heard of this smartphone app I signed up. I had to be vetted that I was a cop. This applies to retirees too.
Check it out here with a video of how it works.

School Shootings Law Enforcement App | Hero911 Network

My location services (GPS) on my phone is only turned on for this one app. I get notifications of these school shootings from across the country as they go to 911 centers.

If I am within either 5 or 15 miles of the school when the teacher hits the panic button, I get notified along with a map of the school and her/his location based on the GPS location of the teacher's phone.

This is to speed up a response of qualified persons on or off duty and retired to these incidents. I always have a AR, pistol and a few mags for each in my vehicles along with an old "POLICE" marked traffic control vest....I will respond. Will you?

Do your local schools participate? Do your teacher friends know of it? Hell, my agency's SROs had never heard of it till I told them.
cousinmark and RugerLuger like this.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #2

Hopefully this program will expand to allow a presence on the grounds before there's a problem. The concealed option is better than nothing but a visible alternative would be more effective IMO. Like I mentioned in an earlier post paying qualified ex law or military a legitimate wage for there time SHOULD be part of the equation as well. Just a thought...
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

If the schools would just allow it, and each cop parent that has a kid at the school would spend half a day a week on campus in gear and rifle it would work. Even without pay. Like get off graveyard go to school for four hours. Do a morning or afternoon on a day off. Schedules could be made. I tried years ago when my kids were in school and I knew of dozens of cop parents there. The school would not have it.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

i'm within a mile of the hs here...but they don't want civilians that shoot better than them
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
i'm within a mile of the hs here...but they don't want civilians that shoot better than them
I hear you. Sad but true in many cases.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #6

Our daughter is 8 so I'm for anything that can be done to help ensure her safety. You've got to keep in mind that not unlike the police department there are tons of politics involved with ANYTHING involving the school district. There are several lawyers on the board, NO WAY are they letting me or any other parents on the campus armed, lots of liability involved. Maybe that will change but as it stands it's a gun free zone. The NRA program Phil has mentioned, "SHIELD" I believe, maybe they'd go for something like that with some coaxing? As you know many educators and administrators are tie-dyed in the wool liberals. They're still not over Barry being out of the picture. Simply put, they HATE anything that can be tied to Trump or the pasty faced NRA! For many districts I think a state mandate would be required for there to be movement? For some states (NY for example) good luck, it's going to take an act of congress and even then probably it'd wind up before the Supreme Court? Seems simple enough and I don't think it would be hard to find the manpower but I don't get to drive that bus :-)
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote