• 2 Post By NewStainless
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 1 Post By NewStainless
  • 1 Post By ChattanoogaPhil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

School shootings way down since the 90's

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...hootings-says/

Interesting. Anyone see any additional data or reports to support this? I suspect this is true, but I always like to double and triple check before going live with it. The funny thing is the left is calling allowing teachers to conceal carry a "knee jerk" reaction, but do not consider their panicked demands for gun bans a "knee-jerk" reaction. As awful and horrendous as the Florida shooting was, it is still an EXTREMELY rare occurrence. It is so rare that I doubt you will actually be able to measure if additional security is effective.
PaulWVa likes this.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #2

I'm not sure because I haven't drilled down that far. I can say that there have been 97 mass shootings in the last 35 years. Only 15 of those were school shootings. That is a rare event considering the number of schools and students in the US. By the way, only 2 of those school shootings were with an AR and only about 20 total were with ARs. Most shootings weren't even with high capacity firearms. I grieve over violence and death, but the misinformation and spin is astounding.
PaulWVa, wayne and Karens like this.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #3

Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
I'm not sure because I haven't drilled down that far. I can say that there have been 97 mass shootings in the last 35 years. Only 15 of those were school shootings. That is a rare event considering the number of schools and students in the US. By the way, only 2 of those school shootings were with an AR and only about 20 total were with ARs. Most shootings weren't even with high capacity firearms. I grieve over violence and death, but the misinformation and spin is astounding.
I know, that's why compiling accurate data is so difficult. Like how the media was reporting that there have been 18 "school shootings" so far in 2018...leading all the liberals into a absolute panic...but not mentioning that 17 of those were things like a teacher committing suicide in the parking lot after hours, a bullet from off campus hits a school building, an attempted robbery in a school parking lot that resulted in a shot being fired...anything involving a gun on any school is chalked up to "school shooting". And people are so emotional and irrational right now that if you even try to interject with facts you get branded as a heartless, bastard gun-nut. More people get stabbed than shot with an AR...but just try to bring that up with a group of devoted liberals.
wayne and Karens like this.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

Here's a paragraph from an article on what is generally considered a "school shooting"

As PolitiFact National has reported, Everytown, an advocacy group co-founded by former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg that seeks to prevent gun violence, uses a broad definition of school shooting -- that is, any time a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building, or on a school campus or grounds. Its database includes incidents when no one was injured; attempted or completed suicide, with no intent to injure others; and cases when a gun was fired unintentionally, resulting in injury or death. The list also includes incidents on college campuses.

I wonder how our schools stack up against the world considering we probably have more schools (elementary-college) than any country and probably have more enrolled students than any country.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #5

I think this is sorta like the old saying "you're only as good as your last performance". All the public is focused on is the fact that there's been another tragedy and a scary black gun has once again been used. There've been A LOT of shootings in the last 2 years, people are fed up!!!
NewStainless likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #6

Everyone gets their panties in a bunch when there is what they call "mass shooting" Vegas, Pulse, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech...the list goes on and on.Where I live there is at least 1 shooting a day everyday. It's horrible, sad and its not right that our children are not longer safe at school. All the talking heads are doing is getting everyone riled up and do you honestly think anything is going to change? Lawmakers have tried, Presidents have tried, its not going to happen until the powers that be pull their heads out of their a**
Old 02-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #7

Originally Posted by karenschro View Post
Everyone gets their panties in a bunch when there is what they call "mass shooting" Vegas, Pulse, Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech...the list goes on and on.Where I live there is at least 1 shooting a day everyday. It's horrible, sad and its not right that our children are not longer safe at school. All the talking heads are doing is getting everyone riled up and do you honestly think anything is going to change? Lawmakers have tried, Presidents have tried, its not going to happen until the powers that be pull their heads out of their a**
Well, kind of what Iím getting at is...are kids really unsafe at school? the article I posted shows that school shootings are way down since the 90s. How many schools are there in the country and how many kids are enrolled...and how many incidents are there at schools? The chances of anything happening in your neighborhood are probably a statistical zero. But there doesnít seem to be any clean, comprehensive data out there to make comparisons and when it does happen somewhere the media does itís best to terrify the whole nation and make it seem like it is a common occurrence.
Karens likes this.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #8

The rarity aspect is just one more reason I say communities can deal with kind of thing themselves absent Federal involvement. Get some tips and training from NRA's National School Shield. Allow teachers/Admin to arm themselves. Hire a competent guard or two for outside. That will work better than anything Washington dreams up to impose upon the nation.
NewStainless likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #9

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
The rarity aspect is just one more reason I say communities can deal with kind of thing themselves absent Federal involvement. Get some tips and training from NRA's National School Shield. Allow teachers/Admin to arm themselves. Hire a competent guard or two for outside. That will work better than anything Washington dreams up to impose upon the nation.
And actually follow up on tips and concerns. After spending a fair amount of time with the data, it seems that over 50% of mass shooters exhibited serious mental issues prior to the act and a nearly all had tips or concerns voiced by those who knew of them. That one emphasis of following up might prevent such shootings. It most likely would have in FL. The problem is you will never know what was stopped so it's not something you get to crow about.
shockfinder is offline   Reply With Quote