I talked to a liberal teacher today. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree31Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

I talked to a liberal teacher today.

My wife and I had afternoon coffee at B&N today, and we sat next to a liberal teacher. She related that she had quit her job instructing children, and transitioned to a local institute that specialized in adult education.

When I asked her why, she stated she couldn't handle parental complaints, both from people who wanted more stress on the basics to those "helicopter parents" who felt every grade lower than an A+ was an insult.

My wife is like that, and I told her about my Aunt Clara's comments. Then in a firm, and slightly louder voice, I said within earshot of the entire café, "Don't worry about offending people who disagree or dislike you--half the assholes here don't like me and are too chickenshit to do a thing about it..."

She appeared oddly comforted by that, like I had given her permission to fail. But I think it touched upon another aspect of American society. For some reason, we have become a nation that must be "liked and loved." We're terrorized by being unpopular, not one of the cool kids, or *gasp* racist.

So while all of the old school concepts still apply and work when unfettered, we duck the tough answers because we have the need to fit in. I then asked the young woman openly why it's so important to curry favor with the Kardashians.

During the next two hours, she related her feelings about being a pragmatic conservative but hobbled by also being a social liberal. In short, she wanted people to attain worthwhile lives, but felt sorry for disease, starvation and injustice.

We ended with a thorough discussion of supporting the entire Constitution, and not just the parts we love. I related that if I am to champion the liberals' thirst for the 1A and the 14A, then they must also support my concerns for the 2A and 10A. I also explained the "Molon Labe" patch on my vest.

I also told her to revel in making enemies. You're not really living until a sizeable crowd wants you dead. I think I made an inroad with a leftist.
Ice-and-Snow likes this.
Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #2

I don't think there is anything wrong with not making enemies. I have lots of friends that think differently than I do, but we are still friends, and enjoy doing things together, like drinking and watching football. You can disagree without being disagreeable. In fact, I think it's really narcissistic to antagonize people and revel in it, and enjoy it.

Always remember that some of the most powerful people were also the most gracious.

Last edited by Gmountain; 05-05-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #3

You say narcissistic like its a bad thing....
Ice-and-Snow and rfe959 like this.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #4

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

[...]

For some reason, we have become a nation that must be "liked and loved." We're terrorized by being unpopular, not one of the cool kids, or *gasp* racist.
When I was teaching at a major university, other teachers in my Department and I were told by our College Chair that it was of primary importance for our students to like us. It was the most important thing, and the ratings of professors provided by students determined class assignments, salaries and promotions.

I gave up when I finally realized that whether the students learned anything or not was unimportant. They were, after all, customers, and the customer is always right ...

Old 05-06-2015, 02:03 AM   #5

Guys, the issue here was a learning experience for her, I see people being hamstrung constantly over how their "persona" is judged by people who don't really matter. These people then become tentative, and their world shrinks.

It is my belief that people are going to dislike you--and I mean severely dislike you--simply for the color shirt you wear. I meet people daily at the gym with body image problems, as if the loss of a few pounds (or for guys, the gain of muscle) is suddenly going to unlock magic doors.

Personally I'm not interested in people who project a slick, polished and therefore false image. The folks I like are just like the rest of us, slightly flawed but making the most of their talents in a daily venture of self improvement and fulfillment.

Society has somehow shifted from rewarding people who derive a life of honesty and value, to cardboard cut-outs of idiots from People magazine. Here was a woman who wanted to teach, and yet was driven from her chosen industry. In the end, she was afraid of people disliking her. Rather than sharpen her skills, she cut and ran.

And for what? So a Kardashian would "like" her? What a foolish pursuit.
Richard likes this.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #6

My wife is like that, and I told her about my Aunt Clara's comments. Then in a firm, and slightly louder voice, I said within earshot of the entire café, "Don't worry about offending people who disagree or dislike you--half the assholes here don't like me and are too chickenshit to do a thing about it..."

I also told her to revel in making enemies. You're not really living until a sizeable crowd wants you dead. I think I made an inroad with a leftist.
I don't understand. That kind of behavior doesn't accomplish anything. Why would you do that? More importantly, it seems like you are going out of your way to disturb other people. Again, why? To prove something? What?

In fact, why would you call someone a leftist? Because she is a teacher? That makes them a leftist?
Marshall likes this.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I don't understand. That kind of behavior doesn't accomplish anything.
Actually, it did.

Like my wife, this young woman could go to a convention, be well received by 99 people, but then ruminate for days about how one person didn't like her. On one occasion my wife found obscure ways to turn the conversation into her similar unhappiness for three days until I started singing, "Let It Go."

My goal here was to discuss how the politics of our country are being hijacked by baiters who will use false guilt into bending our collective will. But it's more than that. Some people have deep seated fears about not being liked which is akin to claustrophobia. In the case of this young teacher, she quit her job.

So go back to the scene, I openly admit that the 50% of the coffee bar doesn't like me. Not a single person moved, remarked, agreed, called the police, nor did my heart stop beating in my chest. And the young girl was wide-eyed that I brushed off the incident without a care.

What this accomplished was the two hour exchange. I think people should defend the tenets of our Constitution. In fact, I underlined to this girl that our 1A actually guarantees unpopular speech. I've found over my lifetime that this surprises most citizens.

So, Gmountain, you too can dislike my methods, my hairstyle my choice of motorcycles and my picks for the next election. That's okay, that's your right, that the ultimate premise for existence of discussion forums. But please understand that lots of people are scared to death of upsetting people, and this current crop of race baiters and political correctness stooges will use it as a trump card for an agenda.

(Slowly, my wife is getting it. She just got her CCW permit, and I think she honestly believed she gave in, that the bad guys won. Now she's talking about getting a holster so she can always carry. This mindset change is a very big deal for some folks.)
Richard likes this.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #8

Unpopular speech refers to content, not being obnoxious. I's sure you can understand the difference.

Scaring people, ruining their coffee break, whatever you did there, isn't proving anything about 1st Amendment speech. It proves that you don't really understand the Constitution.
Marshall and Zoomybaby like this.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

Eh, we agree to disagree. This was a liberal coffee shop, and I've heard worse as leftists make fun of the conservatives. Every time Sarah Palin makes the news even Madison women make fun of her.

Granted, yes, I did sink to their level, but then I felt it was important. In the scheme of local politics I don't think it raised a blip.

But that's the point, isn't it? If you and I had a coffee and had to listen to liberal vitriol neither one of us would raise an eyebrow. As a nation, we claim to be offended way too often.

Again, some people are very tenderhearted. Several years ago I entered my old gym, and a woman asked why I was mad at her. I told her I didn't even know her. She responded that I once "looked cross at her."
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

. As a nation, we claim to be offended way too often.
Well, we certainly agree on that.
Closed Thread