Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By OLE442
  • 2 Post By swca
  • 1 Post By 427malibu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

2 or 4 post lift and other related questions!

Looking to buy either a 4 post or 2 post lift in the near future for my 24 X 30 garage.

I have moved back and forth on whether to get a two post or four post? I want one to be able to work on brakes, do oil changes and maybe exhausts.

I’ve also thought of storage however have room for all 5 of my cars inside and no “plans” to buy another but you know how that goes….LOL!

I also would like either one delivered and installed. A lot of places say at delivery you need to have a forklift available……I don’t so that’s an issue.

I have 12 ft 4 inch ceiling peaks. I plan on working on mainly American passenger cars and maybe a couple medium duty trucks. I want to be able to walk under the car and am 6 ft 2 inches tall.

I like Mohawk 2 post lifts but they are way out of my price range!
Backyard Buddy 4 posts seem nice but not sure how much better that would be since I’d need to add on a sliding jack to do a lot of work. The fact that they’re movable is nice since d/t zoning I have smaller doors (12 ft and a 7 ft) on my 3 car that they required for me to build it.

I have looked at 2 & 4 post lifts: Bend Pack, Nussbaum lifts, Challenger lifts, Danmar, Advantage & Rotary lifts and I see one I like, read another post and I’m unsure again.

I have 6 month old 4 to 5 inch thick 4400 lb concrete floors with the poly fiber mixed in.

I have 110 and 220 volts ran to the garage.

I’d like to keep it at or under the $4,000.00 range since building the garage hit my wallet hard.

Thanks for any info,
OLE442
swca and PaulWVa like this.
OLE442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

I only want one not five I want time to hunt and fishI am hoping to have a three car garage when I get to Utah I would like to buy a classic muscle car build that someone lost interest in and make into mine.
Jflytle and PaulWVa like this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

2 post for brahes, exh, and front end work. 4 post for oil change.

Your cieling is too low.

I paid $2500 for. 9,000 lb long arm/short arm 10 years ago. It's a commercial repair shop.

Installed it my self. You or the installer need a fork lift.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
David R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #4

Two post so you can take tires off easier. Can be done on a 4 post but it's a pain in the ass. A 2 post takes up less space. A 4 post, you can park a car under. As long as the car on top doesn't leak. It's all up to you. Stay away from the ones made over seas , the safety latches aren't to safe.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #5

David is right you really don't have the room unless you use a bottom cable lift. for my home shop I purchased a Atlas BP8000 I think it was aroud 1800.00. I installed all of my lifts you only need a forklift to unload the from the truck.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

Originally Posted by bigdog10 View Post
I installed all of my lifts you only need a forklift to unload the from the truck.
No one I know has a fork lift at the house.....

I'm actually leaning to the 4 poster since it would be more flexible since the zoning people effed up my garage doors and the middle bay is accessable but rally tight and requires some weird maneuvers. The final inspector said "whats this??" and "That's stupid"!!
OLE442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #7

I haven't got one yet, I keep spending all my money on guns .
When I do get one I plan on going with a 2 post. You can usually arrange to pick them up from the shipping companies warehouse/dock and they will load on your truck or trailer for you. Once you uncrate/box it 2 people can handle the parts. I've helped unload a couple for friends.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

Sounds like your into cars so you probably have a engine crane. You could use that to unload it from the delivery truck. I used my engine crane for safes, tool boxes and a lot of other things besides engines.
bigdog10 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote