Microsoft fixed my computer (?) - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Microsoft fixed my computer (?)

I switched on my computer this morning, and expected the two grainy screens. Instead I got a "window" from Microsoft.

On a clean sharp screen, the window told me that new software had been downloaded, and my computer had been "re-started."

The only thing I could see was the new entry "hibernate" I read the destructions and Microsoft said that if I used that feature instead of "sleep," my computer would shut off, but a re-start would take me back to the same place.

True to their word, my computer started up clear.

Am I missing something?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

Talking

Yes Chico, you are missing something..................
Two Grainy Screens!! Don't ask questions. Just enjoy the clear view!!!

PO'd on internet!.gif
Chico B4 Microsoft update!!!
Ice-and-Snow likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter

Last edited by Lineman; 05-09-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Okay, I'm thrilled. But how could a Microsoft 'bot' from an info dump know that my 'start' feature was toast and fix it to jam another unwanted pile of bytes into my computer?

Oh, I love hibernate. The computer seems to shut off and this allows it to cool and be silent. I'm not really complaining, I just don't understand how the stupid fanciful "adding machine" can fix itself.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #4

It's the first step on the evolution to Skynet.
Ice-and-Snow and Masquer08er like this.
WaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Allowing Windows to install updates can correct problems you're experiencing.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
And then cause newer BIGGER ones!!!

Still, as I often tell young whippersnappers... *I* am old enough (as most of us here are?) to remember MIMEOGRAPH machines!! The old ditto machine: The blue ink (all over yer hands and clothes cause the pages weren't DRY yet!) Then waiting for the pages to dry!

Computers may be irritating a hell (sometimes) but I'll take 'em!
wayne likes this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Programming is not unlike polishing a knife. The togishi does the absolute best that he can today. Tomorrow he might have inspiration to make the blade a little nicer. Maybe he'll take a little away from the previous version of the program, maybe he'll change the look and feel a little. But in the end, the computer will slice through that Subway sandwich just a little bit nicer. Let the programmers do their job.
Chuck43 and wayne like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Programming is not unlike polishing a knife. The togishi does the absolute best that he can today. Tomorrow he might have inspiration to make the blade a little nicer. Maybe he'll take a little away from the previous version of the program, maybe he'll change the look and feel a little. But in the end, the computer will slice through that Subway sandwich just a little bit nicer. Let the programmers do their job.
Not objecting to programmers! I HATE Microsoft!! (And, alas, am completely stuck on DOS and Windows... However, when they finally quit supporting Win7; EITHER there will be something totally new and magical (and NOT MS) -- OR I'll have to go to linux!)

(Last Nov., I bought a LOVELY new machine -- a CyberPower PC (from whom I've bought my last... ten computers? You PICK your parts: I want this hard drive, this power supply, this graphics card, this fan/cooling, etc. -- been real happy with them all! Even when sometimes I'm making it up cause I have no idea the diff between THIS ... whatever ... and that one -- I stick to name brand, and there's a forum where you can post what you think you've designed right, and forum member-geeks will advise...); then CyberPower assembles and ships).

So, I'm slowly (cause I'm lazy) setting up the new beastie across the room from my operating machine (I run my biz on it -- it HAS to stay working!) And, after that funny ... noise ... coming from that surprisingly *hot* HD (of the three; the other two were running normally) (could tell it was hot cause I was running the 'old' machine with the case sides off to see if I could locate the noise... (I'm still on the old machine, too. {eye roll})

I threw a new 2TB into an HD dock I had; copied off the 'hot' drive; swapped it into the old case... anyway... blah blah blah... Suffice to say the oldie is still running okay. (?!) But, I need to get the new one up and running!

In, like, Jan? Feb? I was working on the new one; setting up WIN7Pro (again), tried EASEUS's "you can copy your working programs to your new computer, C:\ to C:\" ... not too successful; but I haven't gone back to do more... Copied all my data over across the network (now entirely out of date {sigh}).

One morning I wake it up to DO stuff on it -- and MS has plastered a nastygram across my screen: 'This motherboard/chipset will NOT be updated ever again! It's a Ryzen MB (or something-something chipset) and WIN7Pro doesn't use the latest hottest coolest things it CAN do -- so sh|t on you for your purchase!! We're not going to help! The "fix" is for you to BUY WINDOWS 10!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!'

Oh heyull NO!

Thankfully, some lovely guy (calling himself Jeffy of Zeffy? don't remember), wrote a programlette that turns OFF the MS block and allows patches to download onto the Ryzen chipset... so those of us who just got screwed hard by MS can continue to operate!

HATE HATE HATE MS!

(Oh, sorry.... you pushed a HUGE button of mine!)

Last edited by Ice-and-Snow; 05-10-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #9

Originally Posted by SnowTao View Post
And then cause newer BIGGER ones!!!

Still, as I often tell young whippersnappers... *I* am old enough (as most of us here are?) to remember MIMEOGRAPH machines!! The old ditto machine: The blue ink (all over yer hands and clothes cause the pages weren't DRY yet!) Then waiting for the pages to dry!

Computers may be irritating a hell (sometimes) but I'll take 'em!

Sharp! STOP smelling your paper and get to work. Mmmmm I love the smell of MIMEOGRAPH INK throw back Thursday...Hey you gonna sniff your paper?
Just sayin'
Ice-and-Snow likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #10

My only issue is that while "hibernation" seems to work fine, it loads very slowly. With all the problems I was having, I get a little verklempt assuming the computer is going to start puking again.

I think Chuck is right. The computer wasn't doing anything but give me grainy dual screens for several days, then the "midnight dump" occurred and the screen cleared immediately.

However, my wife just had a crown prep with the addition of a temporary crown.

Yeah, maybe I should call Doc and ask him if he wants to buy a knife collection...