Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By 2sharp2
  • 3 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 3 Post By bhunted
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #1

Movie Review: Infinity War

(Here, I'll save yah $9 and a sick-to-my-stomach evening!)

(spoilers!)

Vox Popoli: Mailvox: Infinity War review

Infinity War review

Vox Day introduces: A longtime Marvel fan is very unhappy with the new Marvel blockbuster. Warning, SEVERE spoilers after the fold. Do NOT read this if you do not want to know what happens in the movie. It will ruin it for you, to the extent that is actually possible.

The fan writes: Loved the Marvel Universe, loved Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers, some of the best Sci Fi made IMHO. Didn’t really like the last Thor movie, thought they mocked and attempted to de-empower him, but hey, allowed Thor to exercise his comedy chops, no harm.

Then came Infinity War. And I realized the blogs I have been reading are right. They HATE us. There is no other explanation for this.

You take the Marvel Universe, gather all the heroes together, let the Evil win and kill off half of the galaxy. Half! Including half of your hero characters. Think about a guest director on an episode of any of the Star Trek TV shows; just kill off half of the universe and half of the crew. Then hand it back to the regular team “ there! Fixed it for you, all those pesky heroes are gone, no need to thank me”

I understand sacrificing key characters in support of the story and the narrative; Spock, Groot, Han. I mourned but I didn’t whinge, in the story line it made sense. But this movie made no sense and there is no recovering from this unless they do a loopy this-was-just-a-dream/time-warp-fooled-you deus ex machina crap.

We go to movies for enjoyment, for fun, for escape, and yes, for a little bit of hope. I have that quote from Second Hand Lions on my wall:

Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in the most: that people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; that love, true love, never dies... No matter if they're true or not, a man should believe in those things because those are the things worth believing in.
Where was any of this in Infinity War? Nothing our heroes did made a damn bit of difference. And whenever they tried to do a noble sacrifice? Magical Bubbles appeared (and more than once). The Hulk? For no reason every made clear in the previous cannon the Hulk is de-empowered and made a figure of fun. True love? Let 'em watch each other die with no gain or reason other than Reasons! Thor? Beaten to a pulp and all his people killed including Loki, but Natasha (a human grrl) can beat them back to a standstill? Iron Man and Dr. Strange? Let’s have them at each other’s throats. I am sorry, but it seemed very clear to me all that was happening was the folks at Disney et al. were just trying to shit all over a beloved universe and its fans. And oh guess what? The Evil was doing it for Climate Change Reasons??? Kill half the galaxy to save the galaxy because humans are a pestilence? Seriously?

This wasn’t just a bad movie, this was a deliberate attempt to attack and hurt the fans and their love for this universe. I get sacrifice and I get losing characters, I do. But yah know, I don’t watch Macbeth because of the Everyone Dies routine. When you take that cheap way out of attempting drama, you end up with no one left to carry the story. Ah, they can just fill out with more a not-a-white-male remakes and attempt to sell it to an new and different audience. One that doesn’t love scifi or superheroes, that will not be paying to watch. But that appears to be the whole idea, isn’t it? Take it over and destroy it. If I stop watching these movies, they win. If I keep watching these movies, they win.
==============

(Will you learn?)
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #2

So, that reviewer isn't well-loved?

Some comments from the thread I posted above:

If you stop watching these movies, they lose revenue. If you keep watching these movies, they win revenue.

If they keep losing revenue and go out of business, it creates an opportunity right wing people to disrupt and crack open the industry.

Stop giving them your money. Let them destroy themselves and put themselves out of business. I pray to god the right takes advantage of the opportunity.
========================
The reviewer's complaint is that the movie follows the plot of the comics.
========================
Kill off beloved characters means you replace them with far worse and far more politically correct ones.
========================
A bit OT but has anyone watched Cobra Kai? Its decidedly not full of SJW related bullshit, and Johnny Lawrence is a rather anti-PC protagonist.

"There are no girls in Cobra Kai."
"Why not?"
"Same reason there aren't women in the army...it doesn't make sense."

"Don't give me that sexist bullshit, I'm just saying women aren't meant to fight. They have tiny, hollow bones."
========================
Yeah, but they ruin it by the last episode.
========================
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "Magic Bubbles"?

When one character attempts to use his weapon at a key point, Thanos makes it shoot bubbles like a kids toy.
========================
Iím all for half the population dying for the sake of the planet, so long as they are all progressive, multiculturalist, anti-Christ libtards.
Iím still waiting for them to lead the way into the void by offing themselves.
========================
I understand not wanting to give money to Disney, but this was not an instance of hollywood/Disney shitting on the audience. As other people have mentioned, this happened in the comics, it's obviously a set up for the sequel, and in my opinion the movie made some improvements on the Infinity Giantlet comic run. In the comic, for instance, Thanos' motivations make less sense. Why does he love Death? Not Death in the abstract, but a female embodiment of death that treats him like an all-powerful beta-orbiter. People have criticized the malthusian angle to Thanos in the movie, but he is supposed to be a villain and you are not supposed to agree with him. The comic also had pacing issues and no real character development, and suffered from the fact that it was a repeat of the only Thanos story there is: Thanos gets cosmic cube/soul gems/infinity stones, becomes all-powerful, but drops the ball anyway. They even comment about it in the story.

Overall, it was much better than what has been done to Star Wars, Star Trek, and every other sci-fi/fantasy series still kicking around the mainstream culture.
========================
And I think thatís why Marvel has been so successful. If you can put aside the motives of the various people involved, the stories, for the most part, have been rather engaging and interesting, especially with the license theyíve taken with the source material.

Was not expecting that ending. Did not feel patronized or put upon when that screen went black. That was an extremely calculated risk, and with the way the Russos, Markus, McFeely, and Feige put that together, that took a pair. You have to give them props for that. Iíve found that all of their entries into the MCU have been the better films, in that regard. And strangely enough, not as heavy on the SJW material as folks allege. Then again, thatís just me.
========================
Sometimes I think people just want to find reasons to be mad. This review is very uninformed. Half the characters they killed off have movies coming out so of course it will have to be reversed. That's ok because it was so well done. The stakes have been raised and Evil looks like it is going to win setting up the inevitable victory by the good guys. Pretty much how every part 1 of something is always done. You have to give people a reason to come see the second part.

And it's a stretch to say that Thanos's reason is climate change, but even if you do want to view it through that lens, HE IS THE BAD GUY that everyone in the movie readily admits is mad. So the good guys are literally fighting against climate change if that is your take.

This was a very well made movie that was exciting, fun, and emotional at times that did justice to all these characters that I have made a significant amount of time investing in.

Sometimes there just isn't an SJW boogeyman hiding underneath every bed no matter how hard we squint.
========================
Sorry but have you no familiarity with comics AT ALL? The whole "terrible thing happens but then is magically reversed" is literally one of the most common tropes. It's exactly what happened in the comic version of Infinity War.

I can understand hating a comic movie for being bad. I can understand hating it because it betrays the source material, or subverts the characters or the plot of the original. I don't understand hating it because IT FOLLOWS THE SOURCE MATERIAL. Then you're in some weird world where you're paying to watch a movie of a story you hated the first time, and then WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
========================
And the mid credits scene has Fury sending up a beacon before his disintegration. Summoning Captain Marvel. The savioress of the whole shebang?
========================
I don't understand hating it because IT FOLLOWS THE SOURCE MATERIAL.
Vox Day answers: It's not that difficult. 99 percent of the movie audience knows nothing about the source material. So, that's irrelevant.
========================
Who ever wrote this review clearly doesnt read comic books, or pay attention to the actual movie since Dr. Strange all but says to Tony(the audience) "Don't worry bro, Everything will be fixed in the next movie".

I admit having Starlord go full retard was bad but he did it for "love". No point in seeing hulk again since he got his ass kicked in the first 5 minutes of the film.

This whole film is a set up to the next one. This is The Darkest Hour Before The Dawn. Complain all you want when GRRl Power Captain Marvel saves the day in the next film but as was said earlier this is Marvel's best film. That's not saying too much but it is.
========================
"Nobody died. This is the plot for the original story. Thanos erases half the universe, but then it's reversed when he's defeated."
So, Bobby comes out of the shower and it was all a dream.
COME ON! Really?
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

Didn't save me anything, not even a penny cause I wouldn't pay to watch that crap anyway! The TV Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman are ok by me but not the others.

My Hero's all wore White Cowboy hats, carried two Chrome 6 shot revolvers and or a Winchester rifle and rode a Stallion. Disrespect me we duke it out, steal my cattle, horse, woman or cheat at cards, I'll shoot you.
Chuck43, bigdog10, bhunted and 2 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

Originally Posted by kik View Post
Just it a few days ago, itís a piece of dog poo of a movie...thanos did even have a proper army, before he got all the stones they could have stopped him. Loki game him the mind stone knowing thanos could still kill him. Thor went off to acquire some new power ( how convenient, he didnít do that on Thor ragnarok)
Hulk gave on fighting after being handed his ass for the first time...doesnít seem heroic at all...scarlet witch, captain America, falcon, vision, black panther etc all happened to be useless. Strange, iron man, spider man put up a good fight but the idiot from guarding of the galaxy (which is a crappy movie just to be clear) ruined the plan and effort to defeat thanos. This is summary of the movie and itís 10 mark out of a hundred for me.
Pretty much agree. Hulk turned into the biggest scaredy cat and wouldn't even help. Everyone else was pretty inept, also. Bringing in the Guardians was no help. I actually like the Guardian movies, but since I know it's more of a humorous cartoon type movie, my mindset/expectation is different. I was totally disappointed in this latest Avenger movie. Hope the producers like the $Billion they made of this, because I'll have to hear some really great reviews of the next one before I spend $ to see it. #fanbasedisappointment
Notice all the "new" Avengers dematerialized? Good riddance?

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #5

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Disrespect me we duke it out, steal my cattle, horse, woman or cheat at cards, I'll shoot you.
In these parts is more about about a man's dog and pickup truck. Women... eh...
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and wayne like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

You canít say anything bad about any Marvel comic or movie that would deter me from watching it or even liking it. I grew up on this stuff. I love them all.

As of late, Gal Gadot, (Wonder Woman), has really rehashed my love. I followed her in her FF movies, but Iíve never been so astounded, so happy. Happy to the point in that movie where see makes me smile so hard it hurts, smile so hard, she brings me tears of joy. She is magnificent. Her passion of her roll, blows me away. She, in my eyes, is a true super hero! I lost count of how many times I watched the WW movie.

Anytime any of the Marvel movies are on, I watch them. And you know what? As many many times I have watched them, I find something Iíve not noticed before or even heard. A tid bit, a spot, a comment, gone unnoticed in the beginning.

Stan Lee is a legend. Heís getting old and I dread the day he is no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43, Masquer08er and kik like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #7

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
In these parts is more about about a man's dog and pickup truck. Women... eh...
Well that's totally true. I was thinking more old west back in the day time frame instead of now 2018.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)