• 3 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 1 Post By The Tourist
  • 2 Post By CharlieW
  • 2 Post By Ice-and-Snow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Rocks are better than cell phones.

No question about, every item I've owned that had an electric plug on it failed me this year.

First, my wife and I lost three appliances at one time--a clothes dryer, a dishwasher and a refrigerator. The guy at Sears now calls me "sir." It took almost six months to pay off that debt.

Then there's my old computer. The Geek wanted the old one, but not to repair and re-sell. It seems that most of the fittings and fasteners for "that era" are no longer made.

(BTW, I bought a Harley-Davidson lock for the Dell, just in case).

Then there's today. I reached into my jacket, pulled out my phone and hit the side button, which gives me the time. I never leave it out, never. It's the mall, these guys would steal a flip phone while I was on it!

I hit the head, came back and reached into my jacket to call my wife--no phone. I retraced my steps, checked my jacket and pants fifty times, and even moved the table and chairs. I then hit their info desk, the check-out area and the cafe' but no one had seen it.

I must have thrown it on the table, and it was stolen.

Fortunately, the Sprint store is behind East Towne Mall, and I went there immediately. I had my old phone disconnected, but I purchased an exact duplicate so I wouldn't have to learn Czechoslovakian again. (No, really, the Czechs make a good phone).

The embarrassing part was paying for it. I got a nice young lady to wait on me, and I handed her the phone--the cheapest thing in the store and 'number four' of the cars parked out front.

I reached for my biker's wallet and she said, "Oh, we take cash and small change..."

I told her that I had a credit card, but she shook her head and replied, "We don't take checks..."

I again told her that I had a credit card, this time I showed her. She chuckled and said, "Oh, I thought you had a Czech credit card! We have a joke here, "We don't take checks or Czechs'..."

I got home, I was depressed, and I sat down to feed the dog and get a bite, too. Then I remembered that I should call my wife. I picked up the phone, thumbed down to her number and almost hit "dial."

But I stopped and asked myself two questions. First, the new phone had barely any charge so I plugged it into the a USB port on the computer. Then I wondered how a new phone already had my wife's number.

I went behind the Dell, and there was the 'new' phone in the USB port, and the 'old' phone in my hand.

...I had stolen my own phone, and I still cannot figure out how...

DSC02284.JPG
CharlieW, DaveinNC and Wingnut like this.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #2

Here's some free high-tech advice.

Instead of fooling around with USB ports in the back, run a couple cables to the front to charge your stuff or temporarily hook up a component like a thumb drive or whatever without having to do the dreaded reach-around. I use a sticky desktop cable organizer to keep them in place.

Best place to get USB cables is Amazon Basics. 1ft, 3ft, 6ft, 10ft. Cheap and durable.

Ice-and-Snow and Mini Me like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #3

Yeah, that is a good idea. But up until yesterday I didn't know how to use the Dell to get pictures into the forum.

In fact, I'm lucky to have the few USB lines that I do. My old computer only had a few ports. I could hack NORAD with all the ports and programs this Dell has!

Give me a month.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

Chico, only a guy of retirement age could understand your phone story... I know because I are one!
Ice-and-Snow and DaveinNC like this.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 PM   #5

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Here's some free high-tech advice.

Instead of fooling around with USB ports in the back, run a couple cables to the front to charge your stuff or temporarily hook up a component like a thumb drive or whatever without having to do the dreaded reach-around. ...
OR get what I got -- LOVE this little sucker!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NGQWL2

Sits real stable and flat, and lets me plug in a gazillion devices!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anker10port-2.jpg (78.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Anker10port-14.jpg (819.3 KB, 3 views)
RustyIron and The Tourist like this.
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote