...I don't know??? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

...I don't know???

I just watched a video of a "stand your ground" shooting in Clearwater, FL the other day (I think it happened Thursday). A black family parks in a handicapped slot, the girlfriend was driving, her boyfriend goes into the convenience store. A white guy can be seen complaining to the driver about her choice of parking places, boyfriend comes out of the store, sees this and abruptly shoves the white guy to the ground. White guy pulls his pistol and shoots the guy who pushed him. To me it looks like the guy who was shot was moving away from the shooter before the shot was fired? He later died...
...no arrests were made???
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #2

I wouldn't have arrested him, this is the whole idea of "stand your ground."

The idea is that if a CCW holder is attacked, the aggressor knows he's DRN. It should give the aggressor time to flee.

This case, just sounds like a bunch of hotheads, but if the shot was fired after the assault, the crime is clearly on the aggressor.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #3

I suppose the shooter was within the letter of the law when he fired. If not they'd have arrested him. It looked like the black guy was moving away from him when the shot was fired though? Hopefully this won't wind up triggering a riot???

Old 07-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

I haven't seen the video yet. I would say it all comes down the reason he gave for pulling the trigger. Giving the right reason can make the difference a legal shooting and a illegal one.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #5

Thank's for posting the link Marshall, I can never get videos to attach? And ya, the black guy was an A$$ but I don't know that lethal force was necessary...
Old 07-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #6

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
I haven't seen the video yet. I would say it all comes down the reason he gave for pulling the trigger. Giving the right reason can make the difference a legal shooting and a illegal one.
...he said he "feared for his life".
Old 07-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Well it was stupid, in my opinion, for the guy to shove him down and stupid for the shooter to have shot so quickly. Unfortunately, we don't know what the shooter was saying to the driver or in what tone or volume. If he was verbally assaulting her, he could be judged the instigator.

At any rate, it's going to cost him some money defending himself. Since I started carrying about 8 years ago, I've gotten much calmer about petty stuff, using what my wife calls "the look", which implies to the person on the receiving end that they are a piece of ----. It usually works because although I'm getting up in age, I'm still 6'2" and 250 pounds.

My reasoning is that I have a fairly short fuse and don't want to unnecessarily create a confrontation I have to finish with a pistol.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

The link wasn't showing up yet I posted, I've watched a couple times now and from what I see in the video the shooter overreacted. I don't believe it was a good shooting. I did not see the aggressor go for or have a weapon of any sort, but as usual the video the doesn't show the full picture. The I feared for my life is not always a good enough reason to pull the trigger.
Marshall, cousinmark and Bigdog like this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #9

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
The link wasn't showing up yet I posted, I've watched a couple times now and from what I see in the video the shooter overreacted. I don't believe it was a good shooting. I did not see the aggressor go for or have a weapon of any sort, but as usual the video the doesn't show the full picture. The I feared for my life is not always a good enough reason to pull the trigger.
I agree, Wayne.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #10

A yahoo starts an argument with a woman in the parking lot. The husband comes out of the store, sees some maniac yelling at his wife, and intervenes. The crazy guy ends up getting pushed to the ground. Then the kook pulls a gun and shoots the dad who was defending his family. The killer belongs in jail.

We can all learn from this.

1. If you're carrying a gun, don't be confrontational. Actually, even if you're NOT carrying a gun, don't be confrontational.

2. If a crazy person becomes confrontational with you, try to de-escalate the situation. Walking away from a confrontation is only a loss-of-face if you're in elementary school. It don't mean nothin'.

3. If fighting is the only option for protecting your safety or that of your loved ones, then do it like you mean it. Do not stop until your adversary is no longer a threat and the police can be summoned to take him away. Pushing should be reserved for the lunch line in the elementary school, but only as long as the perpetrator understands that he'll end up having to stay inside during recess.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote