What do you think is the best choice? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #1

What do you think is the best choice?

If you're reading this post you can see a picture of Oscar. He is a four-year-old Chaweenie. Love this little dog. He and I go for two or three walks around the block every day weather permitting. He has been physically attacked by two dogs larger than him and rapidly and stealthily approached by three others. This morning on our morning walk a very large black lab came running up from behind us and I barely scooped him off the ground before he was attacked by this fifth unleashed dog. Now I understand that dogs can climb fences or go under their fences or escape from the house and wander around the neighborhood. I can't blame the owners for that. But I need a way to defend us from some rather large dogs I've seen walking around. I have three choices I have a Smith and Wesson steel collapsible baton, A taser baton or bear spray. I don't want to carry all three so which one would you choose in my situation. I would want the most effective and less lethal if possible. I also EDC my 938 and my 4 inch CRKT folder. ( The situation would have to be pretty dire for me to employ the latter two choices)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #2

For starters, pet owners are to blame for their pets running loose. The responsibility is 100% on the owner unless another person is negligently involved. The pet is not to blame.

As far as choice of weapon....

Collapsable baton is a decent choice. Laws vary from state to state. Even with a handgun carry permit it is illegal in Tennessee to carry a collapsable baton, open or concealed, absent a special permit or employed and trained as a security guard. Stupid, huh?

I would not count on any kind of spray. Dog attacks happen too fast. You'll end up spraying your dog and yourself as much or more than the attacking animal.

Gun. Again, dog attacks happen fast but you should be carrying anyway, dog or no dog.

I'd opt for a strong walking stick. It's longer than a baton and more useful.
2sharp2 and Loki1967 like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm a dog owner/lover and I've been in similar situations many times myself. Given the 3 options you listed I'd take the expandable baton. Taser won't work if it's not charged and pepper spray can backfire on you on a windy day.

I have more problems with people on bikes then I do with dogs. I've been hit in the back by a guy playing with his phone and hit in the side by a lady doing the same thing. Thor has been hit from behind the same way. Bicycles are very quiet vehicles, unless the rider has a horn, a bell or says something you can't hear them coming from behind.
Karens likes this.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #4

had a dog attack my daughter many years ago...it didn't stop till i stuck my knife through its head.......
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

This might sound strange (pun intended) but it works. Get yourself a small pocket/can sized air horn. Dogs have very sensitive hearing and hate sudden loud noise. Trust me … it works. It might scare the hell out of your dog too but I've seen big dogs run like their tails on fire. I learned this from a mailman. Plus no blood shed or real pain involved.

Any store with boating supplies will have them.
Elapid, Marshall, bigdog10 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 07-23-2018 at 03:30 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #6

Seems like the baton I've been carrying is a very good choice and is the latest tool that I acquired for defense of myself and my pup. I looked up the law in Montana and they are legal to carry open; concealed with CWP permit. I have deployed it once as one large dog would not leave us alone and kept focusing on Oscar. I only used it to poke him and tell him to get away and kept it out until I got home. The first thing I do is reel him in and scoop him up off the ground when I see a dog coming. But twice the dog is snuck up behind us and surprised us.
There is a very cute blonde who jogs with her Rottweiler with no leash. I have seen her a dozen times jogged past the house and I am just waiting for the opportunity to inform her that there is a leash law and that she is taking a very big chance not being able to control her dog. It is because of that situation that I got a baton. ( no pun intended )
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
This might sound strange (pun intended) but it works. Get yourself a small pocket/can sized air horn. Dogs have very sensitive hearing and hate sudden loud noise. Trust me it works. It might scare the hell out of your dog too but I've seen big dogs run like their tales on fire. I learned this from a mailman. Plus no blood shed or real pain involved.

Ahh, no thanks. I don't want to be known as the horny old man with a little weenie. (pun intended)
Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Ahh, no thanks. I don't want to be known as the horny old man with a little weenie. (pun intended)
It sounds like you already had a plan of action before you asked the question. I was just trying to offer you a less violent option to the problem you posted. Be safe out there … in my experience blonds are more dangerous than dogs.
Elapid, Cucamonga kid and Bigdog like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
had a dog attack my daughter many years ago...it didn't stop till i stuck my knife through its head.......
Okay, on this post I want details.

How bad was the tip bent...
Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #10

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
This might sound strange (pun intended) but it works. Get yourself a small pocket/can sized air horn. Dogs have very sensitive hearing and hate sudden loud noise. Trust me it works. It might scare the hell out of your dog too but I've seen big dogs run like their tails on fire. I learned this from a mailman. Plus no blood shed or real pain involved.

I second that our local mailman carry's exactly that and swears by it..
PaulWVa likes this.