Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Markie
  • 3 Post By DaveinNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Remains being returned from North Korea...in the news

We all see on the news about the return of the remains of some of our soldiers who fought during the Korean War. It was a good gesture and I hope it leads to more remains being found and brought home. I don't know how many of our members that might have a loved one missing during the war. As a young boy growing up I seen the photo of my uncle in his Navy Uniform. He was on an LST during World War II. After the war he came home, worked in a ship yard, then joined the Army in 1948. He was list as MIA/KIA in May 1951, nothing else on his disappearance according the the records. In the year 2000 my older brother and I started trying to learn more about him. My older brother received some information, Individual Deceased File on him and things. He sent me a copy of it which I filed away. In 2001 I was contacted about donating DNA in hopes of identifying him if remains were ever found. I donated my DNA and it was on record in 2005. I went to a family briefing conducted by then the DPMA and JPAC in 2011. I was given a folder about what happened to my uncle, nothing found on him. 2013 I went to another briefing in Alabama, got another folder with about the same information in it. During this meeting I met a guy that ran me off a file on those that went missing that day, he was not associated with the group conducting the briefing. Now last year I received an email from him and attached to it was a 22 page file on a set of remains found in 1961 and flown to Hawaii for burial in 1964. The file had my uncle's name attached to it. I contacted my caseworker to submit a request for disinternment of a set of remains buried in the National Cemetery of the Pacific. I now know what section and what grave they are located in. I submitted this request on 1 June 2017, about 420 days ago. This past February 2018 I went to another family briefing in Florida, got me another folder with about the same information as the first one. I met with a Doctor from the DPAA and my caseworker....I had the feeling I was being pacified somewhat. Waiting for them to approve my request...
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #2

GOD bless you. And GOD bless your uncle.
Chuck43, Marshall and Markie like this.