Can you have dual residency for gun purchases? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By Bigdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #1

Can you have dual residency for gun purchases?

I live most of the year in MN and part of the year in AZ. I own homes in both states. I have a MN driver's license and an AZ identification card. Both are government issued photo identification.

Question: Can I buy a handgun while residing in either MN or AZ.

To date ATF is scratching their head.

I say yes and here is my support.
1. [27 CFR 478.11] If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not alone qualify the person to purchase a firearm in that State.

2.If you open a copy of a 4473 you can look in the instructions for completing lines 2, 18 and 18.b. I haven't figured out how to copy from a pdf file so you will have to look at it yourself. Line 2 states if you live in two different states you enter the state you are in. Line 18 and 18.b. state you can use two different forms of identification and if your photo ID is not from the state you are purchasing in you can use an alternate ID showing an address in the state you are purchasing.
(Since I couldn't copy the data that is my quick summary.)

3. ATF sent me another example of being allowed to purchase in two states. Example: College student lives away from home during the school year is allowed to purchase in both states as he resides in both at different times.

Do any of you have homes in two states and buy guns in both? How do you handle firearm purchase transaction in each state?

Last edited by jonh1373; 08-02-2018 at 09:58 AM.
jonh1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #2

I no longer own homes or live part time in two states, but I believe that legally you could buy in either state. In actuality, hit probably depends on the interpretation of the FFL, since they are the ones (besides you) if they make an illegal sale.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #3

I do not own homes in two states, but my good friend lives in two. She thought it seemed like a good idea to buy guns in each state--until the day that black SUV's came rolling up to her place of business, and guys in dark suits and sunglasses came piling out. They interviewed her there, then they caravanned over to her house, where they finished their investigation. Apparently there is a computer someplace that analyzes data, and then tells the investigators who they should go investigate. Luckily, there were no battering rams, shooting, handcuffs, or waterboards.
Bigdog and wayne like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I do not own homes in two states, but my good friend lives in two. She thought it seemed like a good idea to buy guns in each state--until the day that black SUV's came rolling up to her place of business, and guys in dark suits and sunglasses came piling out. They interviewed her there, then they caravanned over to her house, where they finished their investigation. Apparently there is a computer someplace that analyzes data, and then tells the investigators who they should go investigate. Luckily, there were no battering rams, shooting, handcuffs, or waterboards.
But the question is....was there an issue.

Sounds more like the Ca DOJ than ATF.

Last edited by jonh1373; 08-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.
jonh1373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 PM   #5

Originally Posted by jonh1373 View Post
But the question is....was there an issue.

Sounds more like the Ca DOJ than ATF.

No.

ATF.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #6

...the thing that occurs to me is that firearms purchased in MN may be a problem in AZ? I'm not up on each states laws but my guess is that's where you could run into an issue. In other words if you're legally a resident in MN you can purchase anything legal there. It may not be legal to poses that firearm in AZ?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...the thing that occurs to me is that firearms purchased in MN may be a problem in AZ? I'm not up on each states laws but my guess is that's where you could run into an issue. In other words if you're legally a resident in MN you can purchase anything legal there. It may not be legal to poses that firearm in AZ?
Almost everything firearm related is legal in Arizona.
cousinmark and Cybercycle like this.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Almost everything firearm related is legal in Arizona.
...almost??? That's what I'm talking about. I'd double check on CCW regulations too, especially what's legal in a vehicle?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote