• 2 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 1 Post By Markie
  • 1 Post By Lineman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Super Moderator

73 Years Ago Today Hiroshima Bombed

1945 American bomber drops atomic bomb on Hiroshima

On this day in 1945, at 8:16 a.m. Japanese time, an American B-29 bomber, the Enola Gay, drops the world’s first atom bomb, over the city of Hiroshima. Approximately 80,000 people are killed as a direct result of the blast, and another 35,000 are injured. At least another 60,000 would be dead by the end of the year from the effects of the fallout.

U.S. President Harry S. Truman, discouraged by the Japanese response to the Potsdam Conference’s demand for unconditional surrender, made the decision to use the atom bomb to end the war in order to prevent what he predicted would be a much greater loss of life were the United States to invade the Japanese mainland. And so on August 5, while a “conventional” bombing of Japan was underway, “Little Boy,” (the nickname for one of two atom bombs available for use against Japan), was loaded onto Lt. Col. Paul W. Tibbets’ plane on Tinian Island in the Marianas. Tibbets’ B-29, named the Enola Gay after his mother, left the island at 2:45 a.m. on August 6. Five and a half hours later, “Little Boy” was dropped, exploding 1,900 feet over a hospital and unleashing the equivalent of 12,500 tons of TNT. The bomb had several inscriptions scribbled on its shell, one of which read “Greetings to the Emperor from the men of the Indianapolis” (the ship that transported the bomb to the Marianas).

There were 90,000 buildings in Hiroshima before the bomb was dropped; only 28,000 remained after the bombing. Of the city’s 200 doctors before the explosion; only 20 were left alive or capable of working. There were 1,780 nurses before-only 150 remained who were able to tend to the sick and dying.

According to John Hersey’s classic work Hiroshima, the Hiroshima city government had put hundreds of schoolgirls to work clearing fire lanes in the event of incendiary bomb attacks. They were out in the open when the Enola Gay dropped its load.

There were so many spontaneous fires set as a result of the bomb that a crewman of the Enola Gay stopped trying to count them. Another crewman remarked, “It’s pretty terrific. What a relief it worked.”
Markie likes this.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

While both bombs saved a lot of GIs, I've always been grateful that the fall-out from these weapons didn't circumvent the earth.

Even if there wasn't enough radiation to kill humans outright, think of the deaths from thyroid poisoning, and what such radiation might have done to crops.

In a word, we got lucky.

Oh, here's another cozy thought to ponder as you doze off to sleep tonight. Lots of Soviet payloads and nuclear material are unaccounted for. The only clues to the crimes are numerous camel tracks...
Old 08-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Just a few years ago the the worst possible happened-- three total meltdown and melt-throughs into the ground and ground water occurred at Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station. Media went hysterical... then a few months went by... shrug... nothing to see here... move along. Last report I read they were arguing over whether or not to dump 777,000 tons of contaminated water into the ocean to 'clean things up', and still there are an additional 150 tons of additional radioactive water accumulating every day... every day. Do ya ever hear about it?

Reminds me of the Deep Water Horizon oil spill in the Gulf. Everyone went nuts, predicting the worst catastrophe imaginable with something like 60,000 barrels of oil per day pumping into the Gulf. Would't be able to fish for a zillion years, tourists will never return... on and on and on. Don't hear much now.

What's my point... not sure really.

Oh yeah... here's Hiroshima today.

2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Oh yeah... here's Hiroshima today.
Not one gang-banger in sight, and a city hit by a nuclear weapon looks better than Chicago.

I was so moved that I just wrote a letter to Green Bay Quarterback, Aaron Rodgers.

I begged him to just 'throw' one game to the Bears. The Chicago brain-trust is so stupid they'll never come up with enough money to explode their own nuclear device in the middle of the city. I don't think every drop of Botox on Pelosi's nightstand could say that city...
Lineman likes this.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Not one gang-banger in sight, and a city hit by a nuclear weapon looks better than Chicago.
That made me chuckle... thanks for the evening grins.
2sharp2 and Lineman like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #6

So many cities were devastated during the wars and have come back beyond what anyone would ever conceive. President Truman was faced with many decisions during his term in office and he wasn't even a politician.
Marshall likes this.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 AM   #7

Cool Hmmmmmmmmm?

Originally Posted by Markie View Post
So many cities were devastated during the wars and have come back beyond what anyone would ever conceive. President Truman was faced with many decisions during his term in office and he wasn't even a politician.
Sorry, Markie, but Harry Truman WAS a politician!! He started as a page for the 1900 Democratic National Convention in Kansas City, Mo. He was elected as a Jackson County judge in 1922 and served til 1935. Then he was the U.S. Senator from Missouri from 1934 to 1944. He then became Franklin Roosevelt's Vice President in 1944. With the death of Roosevelt, in 1945, he became President.

Sounds like a full time politician to me!! BTW, I used to live in Grandview, Jackson County, Missouri, site of the Truman family farm.

An old Missouri joke noted that while Harry was giving speeches, his wife, Bess, would kick him under the table and whisper, "Give 'em hell, Harry!!"
Markie likes this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #8

Hey, thanks for the history lesson....he was a little different that what I know as a Politician.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote