Chatting Thread V about nothing in particular - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree1166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Chatting Thread V about nothing in particular

Time to close out chatting thread IV and open V. This is the 4th time I'm doing this since we started the forum. The forum software has problems when threads get too large and 9,000+ posts is right on the threshold so to avoid problems we move on to V.
2sharp2 and Karens like this.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #2

My 1st time on one of these. I don't know what you chat about but deal me in the hand.

Jim D
SE Texas
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and JC45 like this.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BCD 45 View Post
My 1st time on one of these. I don't know what you chat about but deal me in the hand.

Jim D
SE Texas

Anything you want, a lot of it is just some of the regulars exchanging pleasantries as they sign onto the forum in the morning.
JC45 likes this.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #4

I like to run the Forums like I run my guns: fast and hard. If it breaks, then rebuild it better. Let's see how fast we can get to 9,000 posts on thread number five.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and DaveinNC like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I like to run the Forums like I run my guns: fast and hard. If it breaks, then rebuild it better. Let's see how fast we can get to 9,000 posts on thread number five.

I say go for it but the secrete to doing it right is to get Insta-gator posting again. He was the originator of the thread and he smoked it from I - III.
2sharp2, RustyIron and JC45 like this.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

Exclamation

Well, since this is a chatting thread I'd like to kick it off by asking some questions I often think about and maybe an opinion or two.

First of all I'm aware that "anything" can happen at "anytime". I read all the time people talking about how many rounds their gun holds, how many extra mags/rounds that they carry, about quick magazine changes, and so on and so forth.

To each their own but seriously, other than some type of law enforcement or military situation, how many times have you heard about an individual being in a gun battle where all these things were necessary? I don't live in a highly populated area and most all the individual shootings I here about are 1 to 5 shots.

I believe that smart thinking, a cool head, fast hands, a quick draw, and above all ACCURACY means victory. My opinion also is that if I get involved in a gun fight with say a "gang", it's not going to matter how many rounds I have, I'm probably not going to make it through. One on one or one against two, give me fast quality shots to disable the threat.

I'm sure a lot of people won't agree with this train of thought but it is my thought and everybody has one. Hopefully we will never have to put this to the test.

Have a safe great week guys & girls.

Jim D
SE Texas
2sharp2 and cousinmark like this.

Last edited by BCD 45; 01-15-2019 at 06:48 PM.
BCD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
Super Moderator

It's that time again, you all stay safe and have a great night. Chuck, Out!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 PM   #8

I believe that smart thinking, a cool head, fast hands, a quick draw, and above all ACCURACY means victory.
Can I play? This is a big subject, and perhaps we'll all bore of it before all is said and we're in agreement.

First off, if your adversary wants you to be dead, you'll probably be dead. Shoot you from behind, easy peasy, end of story.

But if you encounter an armed adversary who isn't shooting at you on initial contact, he probably doesn't really want you to be dead--otherwise you already would be. And that leads us to your observations.

"Quick thinking," as you noted, is key. "Quick thinking" should not be confused with "quick action." It might be better to initially comply or stall, while you assess the situation and weigh all your options. Perhaps it's best to just give him your wallet and live to see another day.

"Quick hands and fast draw" needs clarification. If the guy has a gun on you, merely drawing your own gun should be off the table. Unless your name is The Waco Kid, you're not quick enough. His hammer will fall before you clear your holster. If you've practiced a whole lot--and I mean a whole lot--you might be able to take his gun and serve unto him some pain and sadness. It's an option.

If the guy doesn't have a gun trained on your head and he's not a warrior, perhaps you can draw your own gun before he can do you physical harm. But that's a gamble and a bold assumption--things you need to consider with that "quick thinking."

There are so many variables, that in this context, we can only hypothesize.
Wingnut and BCD 45 like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #9

Well, since this is a chatting thread I'd like to kick it off by asking some questions I often think about and maybe an opinion or two.

First of all I'm aware that "anything" can happen at "anytime". I read all the time people talking about how many rounds their gun holds, how many extra mags/rounds that they carry, about quick magazine changes, and so on and so forth.

To each their own but seriously, other than some type of law enforcement or military situation, how many times have you heard about an individual being in a gun battle where all these things were necessary? I don't live in a highly populated area and most all the individual shootings I here about are 1 to 5 shots.

I believe that smart thinking, a cool head, fast hands, a quick draw, and above all ACCURACY means victory. My opinion also is that if I get involved in a gun fight with say a "gang", it's not going to matter how many rounds I have, I'm probably not going to make it through. One on one or one against two, give me fast quality shots to disable the threat.

I'm sure a lot of people won't agree with this train of thought but it is my thought and everybody has one. Hopefully we will never have to put this to the test.

Have a safe great week guys & girls.

Jim D
SE Texas
...you're 1000% correct in that most self defense situations are handled with only a few shots fired. Hey, if anyone wants to lug around 5lbs of ammo that's fine. The reality is it's pretty unlikely they'll ever need all that. To each his own I suppose.
BCD 45 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #10

Jim D, I tend to agree with you. If i need more than 13-15 rds I'm probably in a no-win firefight. That assumes on the street. For a home invasion, I might have 24-36 rds available.

"The rds left in the mag aren't very useful."
BCD 45 likes this.