Huh. Nobody drinking on a school night? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #1

Huh. Nobody drinking on a school night?

I've been kinda busy with snow, so I didn't notice that the bar apparently hasn't been open since Saturday.

Wut...!?!

ANYway, in my world, the first snow of the new year has occurred.

a.k.a. it's now officially vodka season

i.e. I love my spirits so much that I have to assign them seasons so as to not get tired of any particular one.

p.s. this ^ also gives me something to look forward to as time flies by and (at least for now) seems to help "take the edge off" of getting older.

e.g. I'm drinking Krova Original vodka, distilled in Poland, in a martini glass (standard for this affair) with two olives (I love vodka BUT, have to admit here that it MAY just be a venue that I use as an excuse to eat olives).

Bottom line: I bought this un-tried, un-researched, because
• it was on sale (IIRC, $20 down from the MSRP of $30something)
• it's Polish, and *I generally prefer Polish vodka
• I like the bottle, and I'm a sucker for packaging
• I was preparing for vodka season, and was feeling frisky

It's quite good. Both for the money, and simply on it's merits. The best? No. Will I buy it again? Probably not. Should that be a reflection on it's quality? NO. There's a superabundance of premium vodkas out there to try, this is neither premium enough nor bargain enough to merit a revisit, otherwise I would happily buy it again. But. It isn't otherwise, it's reality, and realistically I will enjoy every drop of this and then move on to something else in a market flooded with greatness.

That's all, carry on...

*by "generally", I mean that my favorite vodka of all time (now OOP) is Russian. Soyus-Victan, specifically. I'd like to mention here: if you'll forgive my inebriated state (I'll make good, I promise), if any of you come across a bottle of SV vodka in your local package store collecting dust on a back of a shelf, I will pay you $100 to buy it and ship it to me. You will make exponential money on this deal.
Also by "generally" my #2 is Snow Queen, (not OOP, but hard to find on a shelf here) which is made in Kazakhastan. Until I discovered this vodka, I would have thought Kazakhastan was a fake country made up in Hollywood as a spoof for some action movie but, no, it's a real place, and they make fucking GREAT vodka. At least, they make one. But I can get it here, so I will not pay you anything to ship it to me. Anyway. That's all.
DaveinNC likes this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

Jbear- I appreciate your enthusiasm and the challenge. I searched the only place in Chicagoland that I thought might have your favorite vodka (Binny’s) and unfortunately came up with the response “you want what?”. I was hoping to be a hero tonight and maybe even make a couple bucks. How much would you pay for a bottle of “Stoli”? 😊
DaveinNC likes this.
Woodchuckinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Jbear;

Four Roses Single Barrel. That's bourbon, I say bourbon, son.

Not a vodka fan, but I have been known to down a Bombay Sapphire martini, or three.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

BTW, it's no good looking in NC; we have socialized liquor.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm taking a break, working on shedding the 6 extra lbs I picked up over the holidays.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Woodchuckinthecity View Post
How much would you pay for a bottle of “Stoli”?
Ha! No.
Well, that isn't to say I'm too snobby for Stoli. I mean, yeah, I am, but back in the day that was my go-to for mixing an Appletini. Back in the day my nickname was "The Bartender" which was cool because I was not in fact actually a bartender. But I aged out of the stage where I wasn't too lazy to take things that weren't worth drinking straight and mix them into something tasty. So... no. In other news: I've begun sobering up, and upon revisiting my sillyness- the SV challenge stands!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

Sorry to hear you’re more sober now. 😊 If Binny’s doesn’t have it your challenge is pretty safe. I’m a port wine guy but I don’t recognize enough of a difference between a 10 yr or a 20 yr tawny to pay the difference in price. Hat’s off to you if there’s a drink you enjoy enough to pay a premium for. Life is too short not to enjoy it when and where you can. I am still on the hunt for “wtf” vodka. 😊
Jflytle likes this.
Woodchuckinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Binny's is my go to liquor store, if they don't have it it's not worth drinking.
Jflytle likes this.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:34 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Woodchuckinthecity View Post
I’m a port wine guy but I don’t recognize enough of a difference between a 10 yr or a 20 yr tawny to pay the difference in price.
I love me some Port. Unlike just about everything else that I drink though, the "better" it is, the less I seem to like it. I've paid everywhere from $8-$80 a bottle, and pretty much without exception the more it cost the less I like it. I'm not sure what's up with that, but the sweet spot for me seems to be right around $15 give or take a couple bucks.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Binny's is my go to liquor store, if they don't have it it's not worth drinking.
So far, I think the best Binny's is an old Sams (who remembers this north shore business) location at Butterfield and 355. They have the best bourbon and single malt (my weakness) selection of all their stores. Each of their stores seems to have a strength area, which may be local market driven. The Deer park (Lake Zurich) store has a great small batch beer selection (don't know about vodka (would have to ask my daughter)).
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote