What did you have to do to get your carry permit? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Super Moderator

What did you have to do to get your carry permit?

In Illinois it's a two part process, first need to apply for a F.O.I.D. (firearms owner Identification) card. It's a form you get from the Illinois State Police and have to answer questions about your residence, mental and criminal history. You need to include a picture of yourself and pay a $10.00 fee for them to do a criminal background check and if you pass they issue you a card that will permit you to buy ammo and firearms.

Second once you have that you will be required to have 16 hours of firearms training that will include range qualification time.

1) Firearms safety instruction, a minimum of 2 classroom hours.

2) Basic principles of marksmanship instruction, a minimum of 3 classroom and range hours.

3) Care, cleaning, loading and unloading of a concealable firearm instruction, a minimum of 3 classroom hours.

4) All applicable state and federal laws relating to the ownership, storage, carry and transportation of a firearm instruction, a minimum of 4 hours classroom hours.

5) Weapons handling, a minimum of 4 range hours.
All applicants must pass a live fire exercise with a concealable firearm consisting of:
(a) A minimum of 30 rounds
(b) 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards, 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards, 10 rounds from a distance of 10 yards at a B-27 silhouette target approved by the Illinois state police.

You will also need to provide a (preferably) scanned set of finger prints and a photo no older then 30 days from the date your submitting your application.

The cost of all this? The state application will be $150.00, average classroom course seems to be around $250.00, range time, finger printing and photo is included with most courses. Ammo is supplied by the applicants, those not having a holster or handgun can rent them from most instructors. My best guess is that it will cost the average guy a minimum of $400.00 for their permit.

The permit will be good for 5 years, at the time of renewal you will be required to take another 3 hours of classroom instruction and pay a $? fee.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

Here we had to take a class- I think it's about three hours. Fingerprints. Photo. Fire one shot (although a lot of places just shoot a primer round). Pay the fee- I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's around $60. Wait a month or so for the CCW.

If you have served in the military, or have a hunting safety course, or other proof of firearms training, you don't need to take the course.

CCW is valid for 7 years. To renew, just send in a new photo and a small fee. Turnaround time is about 7 days.

Florida has reciprocity with 34 or 35 states. You do not need to be a resident of Florida to get a Florida permit.

Last edited by Gmountain; 10-20-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #3

Depending upon the instructor, the initial cost of the course, (range and classroom), runs between $100 and $300. There is no set fee and only minimum hours must be met. Currently I believe the total is 4 hours classroom and 2 hours range time. However, most instructors offer more of both. Fingerprints, done only by the state police, $69. The application, hand carried to the court, is $65. Pictures are $12 and ammo, minimum 50 rounds, $30 average. My wife just completed hers for a total of $296. My renewal, for the CCP, (concealed carry permit), is coming up. That's another $65 to the court and $12 for pictures. But the permits are good for 3 years the first time, 5 years upon each renewal. My permit under LEOSA is more expensive as it costs me $125 for the range time, (very few certified ranges), and it expires annually.
I guess Delaware is about average as far as concealed carry cost.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

I just looked up the fees- $112, plus the cost of the class, which see at gun shows for under $50.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #5

Wow Chuck that's impressive.
One thing for sure sounds like the regulations for your permit makes sure people are well trained.
Indiana just fills out an application , fingerprints , clean record and $50 .00 I think for a life time permit.
I am a former LEO so I had more training 40 years ago. But it's up to the individual to set their own training requirements for the general public . I envy your training requirements for the permit.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
Wow Chuck that's impressive.
One thing for sure sounds like the regulations for your permit makes sure people are well trained.
Indiana just fills out an application , fingerprints , clean record and $50 .00 I think for a life time permit.
I am a former LEO so I had more training 40 years ago. But it's up to the individual to set their own training requirements for the general public . I envy your training requirements for the permit.
My personal opinion is that such training requirements should not be required.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nellybelle View Post
I envy your training requirements for the permit.
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
My personal opinion is that such training requirements should not be required.

I could easily agree with both of you, but in this day and age we have to think about the thousands of untrained people applying for permits. How many of them get their basic firearms education watching TV shows? I grew up with firearms, I had my 2 grandfathers and my father to shoot and hunt with. How many children today are growing up with opportunities like that? I think for the greater good detailed training is a necessity.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #8

Have to agree with Chuck on this one. There are far too many people running around with little or no firearms training. Most of them are called criminals.
I find it curious that people would agree to drivers training, pilot training, computer training, swimming training etc. etc. But when it comes to firearms they see no need for training. If it is a matter of second amendment rights, I may have to re-read it. I don't recall anything about the right to keep and bear arms without training.
But, that is just my opinion.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #9

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy View Post
Have to agree with Chuck on this one. There are far too many people running around with little or no firearms training. Most of them are called criminals.
I find it curious that people would agree to drivers training, pilot training, computer training, swimming training etc. etc. But when it comes to firearms they see no need for training. If it is a matter of second amendment rights, I may have to re-read it. I don't recall anything about the right to keep and bear arms without training.
But, that is just my opinion.
I think training is a good thing to have.

But- I think requiring training as a pre condition to exercising a right is an infringement.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
But- I think requiring training as a pre condition to exercising a right is an infringement.
But- we're not talking about the freedom to legally buy, sell, own, hunt or target shoot with a firearm, we're talking about a permit to carry one daily in public.

Search tags for this page

leosa 2013

Click on a term to search for related topics.