Breathtaking ruins of Soviet's space shuttle program - CNN.com

Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

Cool pics and a great story Richard....

Thanks for sharing..
Richard likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:33 AM   #3

Richard, I've seen lots of pictures of Soviet airplanes, even those for commercial civilian flight. All of them are poorly maintained.

I've always wondered what kind of shape their nuclear arsenal is in. If they take care of their ICBMs the way they take care of everything else, I wonder if they can even be launched.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Richard, I've seen lots of pictures of Soviet airplanes, even those for commercial civilian flight. All of them are poorly maintained.

I've always wondered what kind of shape their nuclear arsenal is in. If they take care of their ICBMs the way they take care of everything else, I wonder if they can even be launched.
The Russia of today is not the Soviet Union of yesterday. A lot of the citizens of the former Soviet Union did not want to be members of that "nation," so they really didn't give a rip about doing a good job at anything they undertook. Almost all of the Soviet ICBMs that were based in other Soviet countries (besides Russia) have now been dismantled, and their warheads have been sent to the US to recover the fissile materials. The ICBMs that were based in Russia, however, are still there, and are ready for immediate launch. Putin might be trying to re-estabish the Soviet Union, but so far, all he has succeeded in grabbing are a part of the former Soviet Georgia and all of the Crimean peninsula of Ukraine.

I guess he wants to return to the "glory days" that are represented by those pictures . . .

Old 07-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #5

Good heavens, Richard, I don't think the Soviet ICBMs inside Russia proper ever used transistors for guidance systems. I believe they still utilized "mercury switches on gyroscopes."

Don't laugh, we are not much better. I just read a story on how our missiles need a certain size wrench to do maintenance. Over time, these specialty wrenches were broken or lost, and now only one remains.

The missile mechanics all over the USA use FedEx to ferry this lone remaining wrench back and forth...

Why the US had only 1 wrench for 450 nuclear missiles | FOX31 Denver
Old 07-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

When Lesley Stahl and the 60 Minutes team went 70 feet underground inside a nuclear control center, they found a system dating back to the 1960s.

Watch the video...

Who's minding the nukes? - CBS News

Last edited by Marshall; 07-05-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

The pictures and story is very cool.

Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Zoomybaby View Post
The pictures and story is very cool.
When you get a chance watch the 2 videos...{approx 25min} those are very cool...
Zoomybaby likes this.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Good heavens, Richard, I don't think the Soviet ICBMs inside Russia proper ever used transistors for guidance systems. I believe they still utilized "mercury switches on gyroscopes."

Don't laugh, we are not much better. I just read a story on how our missiles need a certain size wrench to do maintenance. Over time, these specialty wrenches were broken or lost, and now only one remains.

The missile mechanics all over the USA use FedEx to ferry this lone remaining wrench back and forth...

Why the US had only 1 wrench for 450 nuclear missiles | FOX31 Denver

I am not going to laugh. I am going to point out that it was the Russians, and not the United States, who were able to successfully resupply the International Space Station a couple of days ago.

Clearly, you do not understand American economics, Chico. When new wrenches are made using the "cost plus" procurement and payment system, they will cost the taxpayers thousands of dollars each. FedEx is probably a lot cheaper.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
FedEx is probably a lot cheaper.
Oh, no doubt. FedEx is a business that has to show a profit. The government will just keep bleeding us.

I think the answer her lies in the fact that I was a mechanic, not in my various jobs in finance. For example, many times mechanics have to make/modify tools. I remember a fellow mechanic making a clutch-puller because we needed one and Harley hadn't provided us with one yet.

I admit, I wasn't a tool and die maker, but I have seen a six-point socket "thinned" to get into tight places.

We always say that smart guys are "rocket scientists." Well, to build a rocket, you need "rocket mechanics." Somewhere in the vast expanse of skunkworks factories is a guy with a lathe, a drill press and full tap and die set.

If a Harley mechanic can make his own fuel filter fitting, a missile guy can duplicate this magic wrench. To prove this, see the link below. I have personally talked to the wrench (just a Joe Dirt mechanic) who handmade the prototype of the one seen below.

He made one for me out of billet steel, and charged me the princely sum of 23 dollars. I gave it to my mechanic a full year before Harley issued the official model. If we can do it...

Amazon Amazon