The problems with a radio. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #1

The problems with a radio.

I like to listen to Sean Hannity, but the local station preempts him for any excuse. Like UW-Madison basketball.

This week, however, there is a tragic and sloppy program called (and I'm not joking) "Disgraceland." Let me explain my position.

When Trump called McCain a loser and a coward, he took flak, but I immediately saw his point of view. If one of my brothers would have fled leaving us outnumbered--and I would have survived--I've have hunted down the coward, carefully stripped him of those valuable rags, and now forty years later he would have just about been getting out of Meriter Hospital.

So, this week's episode is about Kurt Cobain. The narrator goes to great lengths defining Nirvana as "the best band of that era." To me it sounds like a dozen garbage cans falling off the back of the truck.

You want to listen to "talent"? Well, Mike Smith of the Dave Clark 5 practiced classic piano for five hours per day. Virtuosos like that is why I polish 1/8th inch by 1/8th inch.

Now, I have a very good memory. Courtney Love made a major deal of the loser's suicide. In fact, she was more famous after he offed himself than before. But here's the kicker.

I know it was several days before Cobain's body was found. Where was Love? My wife would have called me every ten minutes.

Talented musician? Sure, in death everyone is a 'valued soul.' If you get Disgraceland in your area, role the tuner to the left one notch. You'll get "Relevant Radio," and stories about guys who matter...
bhunted likes this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-21-2019 at 04:53 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #2

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I like to listen to Sean Hannity, but the local station preempts him for any excuse. Like UW-Madison basketball.
Most radio stations these days also stream their broadcast so you're not limited to your local station. Listen on computer, smartphone, smart TV, tablet, Amazon Alexa... to radio stations anywhere in the country or around the globe. Hannity also Podcasts so you can listen to the entire radio show anytime you like, previous shows too. You may prefer a 3hr radio show condensed to 2hrs hours because of no commercials.

Or you can listen on Hannity's website, live or past shows. https://www.hannity.com/podcasts/

Using a standard radio these days is the equivalent of tin cans and string.
2sharp2 likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #3

I tried that. My area uses 1310AM, and that has the "strongesst signal for taped programming."

I can get Hannity to come in if I search for just the sound of his voice--until 7:00PM. Then it slowly gets softer, with a decided "fuzz tone" in the background. By 7:10 I wait for Sean to quietly zone out until all that is left is just AM Radio background static.

I reality, I can get five stations clearly--1310AM, Relevant Radio, Faith Radio, a third religious station I don't follow, and finally re-broadcasts of the 1930s and 40s dramas of The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet and Jack Benny.

That would make Disgraceland my sixth favorite radio station--then again, I'm getting over surgery, and who knows what the errant anesthetic is doing to me..

EDIT: BTW, I know what a "fuzz tone" is. It is a type of electric guitar used by "Davy Allen and the Arrows." They did all the music for Peter Fonds'a biker movies. And I had all their albums. BTW, look at that pretty girl reflected in bike's rearview mirror. Pretty girl, eh? Do the math, she's older than my mother...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...=1553209327649

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-21-2019 at 05:04 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

I know it was several days before Cobain's body was found. Where was Love? My wife would have called me every ten minutes.
There are some pretty colorful conspiracy theories about that, actually. I save my tinfoil hat for other things, but I'm just sayin'...
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

I tried that. My area uses 1310AM, and that has the "strongesst signal for taped programming."

I can get Hannity to come in if I search for just the sound of his voice--until 7:00PM. Then it slowly gets softer, with a decided "fuzz tone" in the background. By 7:10 I wait for Sean to quietly zone out until all that is left is just AM Radio background static.

I reality, I can get five stations clearly--1310AM, Relevant Radio, Faith Radio, a third religious station I don't follow, and finally re-broadcasts of the 1930s and 40s dramas of The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet and Jack Benny.
You tried what? Streaming is via the internet, not over-the-air.

Here's your 1310AM WIBA stream. Click the play button and you will get crystal clear audio. https://www.iheart.com/live/1310-wib...cid=index.html

Listen to any of a zillion radio streamed programing around the country or around planet Earth, crystal clear.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

Yep, it was crystal clear on my laptop. iHeart is cool, I like Pandora a little better if I'm just wanting to hear music.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #7

Old School Radio

We only have one left in the house these days. It is on the back of the toilet in my bathroom. Mainly because of two reasons 1 it has a red led clock so I know what time I'm stumbling in to make p. Number 2 the FM radio still works and I jam to Classic Rock while I take a shower and shave.

Others can ramble so thought I would to.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

Amazon Echo or even the Dot is the way to go. Just tell Alexa what you want to listen to and she'll do it.

"Alexa, WIBA 1310". Or "Alexa, Relavent radio". Alexa will start playing it for ya. Crystal clear CD quality.
Chuck43, Dude22 and 2sharp2 like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 03-21-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:51 AM   #9

...and then start shipping you whatever you were silly enough to mention under your breath that you wanted while taking a dump, charging your credit cards, and reporting your twisted proclivities to the proper authorities.
Ice-and-Snow and wayne like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I agree with Phil on using Alexa for music, she puts me to sleep in the evening with classical music and she wakes me up with the daily weather report and 60's rock.
Dude22 and 2sharp2 like this.