Caliber? Heck, how long is the blade? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #1

Caliber? Heck, how long is the blade?

We just had a thread on our most popular firearms calibers. However, statistically, it's the knife that gets into more confrontations.

At Gander Mountain, I would polish about 40 to 50 knives per day, but the gun department might sell to 10 to 13 toys daily that go "boom." (Even at deer season, they never broke 15 rifles).

Clearly, we buy edges for many reasons, but no matter what our original motivation, we wonder about defense. I don't personally like 'knife dueling,' but the edge I polish for commercial knife sellers is the same one I use to protect my wife--and myself.

How do we choose? Personally, I have the "ideal" blade etched in my mind. I proffer it must be long enough to reach the femoral artery but short enough to make an aggressor think twice about grabbing the blade with a bare hand.

My ideal of such a blade is 3.24 to 3.75 inches in length.

Additionally, even when not open, the folded knife's handle clears a blue jean pocket with little resistance.

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-22-2019 at 04:23 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2019, 03:04 PM   #2

And it must have a button for a quick one handed opening.

You must be talking about this.
Buck 110 automatic, three and three-quarter inch blade. Sharp enough to cut my thumb and draw blood while I carelessly folded it back up. Not a slice cut but a pressure cut. I'm just thankful it wasn't one of Chicos knives or it would've hit the bone.

IMG_2238.JPG

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 03-22-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

I'll go first, one I carry is 2" blade and the other is 3.75". Both are sharp enough to slide right in and dull enough to hurt like hell coming out. I need to add another just not sure what I want yet.

Oops I guess I wasn't first.
Cucamonga kid likes this.

AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #4

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
I'll go first, one I carry is 2" blade and the other is 3.75". Both are sharp enough to slide right in and dull enough to hurt like hell coming out. I need to add another just not sure what I want yet.

Oops I guess I wasn't first.
You know we like pictures.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
However, statistically, it's the knife that gets into more confrontations.
Particularly in London. Don't be concerned though, gun control worked... it's all just "part and parcel of living in a big city".
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
You must be talking about this. Buck 110 automatic, three and three-quarter inch blade.
Perhaps not the exact knife I thought about (I did carry a BU112FG for several years) but you did hit the idea right out of the park.

No question about it, from its inception in the mid 1960s, the Buck 110 has led the pack. In a new knife magazine one of the editors stated that only Buck could sell a 'legend' made from 420 steel.

I've sharpened them, I can cannot tell Buck's 420 from the usual 440C of other manufactures.

Say, Kid, I'd be happy to polish your knife so it would slice from a pressure cut...
Old 03-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #7

This reminds me, I think it's getting time to send my barge in for a tune up. I'd like to send something else along too though, to justify having to deal with mail.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Originally Posted by wayne View Post
I'll go first, one I carry is 2" blade and the other is 3.75". Both are sharp enough to slide right in and dull enough to hurt like hell coming out.
I carry the same regimen you do.

I have two equally crappy pairs of jeans. In one pair, I have a 3.75 inch TOPS Mil-Spie 3.5T and a 2.00 inch Kershaw Spline.

The other pair has my latest load, a 4.00 inch Boker Kalashnikov and a 2.50 inch CRKT Prequel.

We part company on the "dull" issue. Like Ayoob, I intend to slash in, and then slash out. Speaking of Massad Ayoob, he stated that such a slice would appear to a coroner as a wound from a shotgun slug...
Old 03-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #9

As you guys know, I learned that my fencing coach, Judge Archie Simonson passed away last year--and I didn't know. I also learned that there are several older attorneys at my gym who "loved to hate him." Oh, they admired the man, but he did not suffer fools. If the attorney tried to ride the line, Archie snapped him back to reality--really hard.

I believe this. When you are confident, and you've silenced all the demons of doubt, facing an enemy with cold steel is hardly a disadvantage. Judge Simonson taught me how to cut--and where--and most importantly, why.

I would dishonor both the man and his ideals if I did less.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #10

Well, since state law says a knife must be 3.5" or less to be carried concealed.... I have a bunch of 3.5 and 3.25 folders. Current EDC is the very popular here on KT, the Boker Kalashnikov Auto, at 3.25. And I like it so much I order another, a black/black tanto to go with my copper/FDE drop point.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote