Best PDW - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Best PDW

In your opinion what is the best personal defense weapon for you. The one you carry now or something you have on your wish list. Be specific; if it's something you tote now tell us about it and why you choose it and hopefully you'll include some pictures.

IMG_2097.JPG
I feel very comfortable when carrying my Colt Defender in 45ACP.
It makes the big holes, is very reliable, easy shooting and accurate for self-defense distances. I stoke it with Critical Defense ammo and carry one or two spare mags with me. If I can't save myself with that I should've stayed in bed that morning.

CHANGE MY MIND
ChattanoogaPhil and KCJeep like this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 03-22-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #2

You'll get no complaints from me. I carry a black Kimber UC2 with the same Crimson Trace grips.

From across the room, they even look the same. 45 ACP., too.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #3

My best PDW is pretty much any of my body parts. And no, I won't post pictures, you naughty boy.

This PDW is always with me, and is capable of bringing much sadness to adversaries. An adversary can be staring right at my PDW, and be totally oblivious that in a very short time his day is going to take a marked turn for the worse.

Join the NRA

Last edited by RustyIron; 03-22-2019 at 10:43 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2019, 01:51 AM   #4

My choice is my Ultra TLE II 45. It has what I want in a carry gun. Night sights, magwell(added not factory), front/rear checkering and it’s very accurate. The most important thing is it’s been 100% reliable with everything I’ve loaded in this gun. What’s not to like about a 45acp to protect yourself.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:54 AM   #5
Super Moderator

The best personal defense weapon I own is the one I've carried everyday since it passed my personal carry worthy test. The Ultra Tactical II is what I believe to be the best fighting gun Kimber ever put together. It came from the factory with: extended ambidextrous thumb safety, tritium night sights, 30 LPI front strap and under trigger guard checkering and a magwell.

The only option Kimber ever offered on a 1911 that's missing is rear sight with a cocking shoulder. Kimber won't sell or install that sight, believe me I've tried, the only way to get it is to buy one with a gun attached to it.

This gun now has 5350 trouble free rounds through it. I don't have a bumper pad on the magazine I carry in the loaded gun. I don't want to chance the pad snagging or getting hung up on clothing during a draw. I carry 2 Chip McCormick Power 10 magazines on my belt.

Last edited by Chuck43; 03-23-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:14 AM   #6

The one that gets the most carry time is my Kimber Pro Carry HD II in .38 Super. I had the custom shop folks checker the front strap and add a one-piece mag well/MS and this has been flawless from day one. As many of us have done, all my Pro's now have the Wilson Flat-wire update. The alternates, all Pro format are Tactical and TLE, and on a rare occasion the Springer TRP

Last edited by Jflytle; 03-24-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #7

CDP Ultra, RCP Ultra, Charter Arms .44spl Bulldog, working it's way up into rotation Super Carry Ultra Plus. You know what they look like and what features they all have. Forty five or 44 big hole nuff said. Green Crimson Trace grips on the Ultra's. Oh and like Chuck, two Chip M Power 10 ten rounder's on my belt and sometimes a third in pocket or in truck.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr

Last edited by 2sharp2; 03-23-2019 at 09:42 AM.
2sharp2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

I have three overriding criteria in this order.

#1. I'm willing to carry it from the time I get dressed till bedtime.

#2. It goes bang when I squeeze the trigger, including no safety controls to fool with.

#3. In my hands it performs to my satisfaction for purposes of personal self defense.

For me, the Ruger LCP best fits that criteria above everything else I have in the safe.

At a mere 9oz and .8in wide it carries unnoticed whether walking downtown, doing yard work or snoozing on the couch with Coondog. There are no manual controls other than the trigger. Every time I have squeezed the trigger it has gone bang. The LCP in my hands performs to my satisfaction for purposes of personal self defense.

Other considerations like caliber, capacity... on and on... are comparatively irrelevant for my choice of carry.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 1.42.49 PM.png (2.15 MB, 13 views)
2sharp2 and Cucamonga kid like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 03-23-2019 at 11:55 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

I can see your point Phil and I agree with everything you said. Shot placement is really all that matters. But in the gravist extreme not knowing in advance the situation you might be in good shot placement may very difficult to achieve. If a large attacker needs to be neutralized or stopped and my hits are not in the head or heart but in some maybe non-fatal areas, I still want that guy to know that he is in a losing fight. In other words I would rather hit him with the framing hammer than a tack hammer.
I carry a concealed weapon for the purpose of winning a life-threatening struggle.
I don't carry for comfort or convenience; I,m in it to win it.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
If a large attacker needs to be neutralized or stopped and my hits are not in the head or heart but in some maybe non-fatal areas, I still want that guy to know that he is in a losing fight. In other words I would rather hit him with the framing hammer than a tack hammer.
I carry a concealed weapon for the purpose of winning a life-threatening struggle.
I don't carry for comfort or convenience; I,m in it to win it.
So then... you chose a defender with a 3in barrel over a 5in government model because lower velocities, fewer rounds, shorter sight radius and less grip for control is the formula for winning a gun fight. Nothing to do with comfort or convenience, right?

No matter how we slice it a carry gun is always a mix of compromises, comfort and convenience being one of them. Otherwise, we'd all be carrying long guns or at least a S&W .500 magnum.

Of course we all enjoy information that confirms our own conclusions. When An Alternative Look at Handgun Stopping Power was published I said to myself... Finally, someone took the time to do a credible study to verify what I inherently knew.

After years of an exhaustive study the author came to this profound conclusion-- Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn't all that important.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power
bigdog10 likes this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 03-24-2019 at 03:36 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote