Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By DeOlMan
  • 3 Post By Old Marine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #1

History Lesson for those so inclined

I live in the same city that John Moses Browning lived in. In fact I can remember a sidewalk that used mosaic tiles to put the name Browning in it. The Browning Museum is only 3 miles from my home. The Browning Outlet Store is only 18 miles east of my home. As such when I see articles regarding JMB I am drawn towards them.

I hope that perhaps some of you will find this article interesting.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...earms-history/
Chuck43, OLE442, Jflytle and 5 others like this.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2019, 02:55 AM   #2

I found the article to be very interesting. Thanks.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #3

Yes, I admire the man.

It is my understanding that the last project he began was for the Browning Hi-Power. I was told he died before the project was finished. BTW, the 'high' referred to the magazine capacity.

It was rumored at my local gun store and time-wasting watering hole that a student of Browning's finished that project.

Is that correct?

Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #4

Good article, TYVM.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #5

That was a good article, thanks.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #6

My Grandfather grew up in the same town as Mr. Browning. They were friends when Grandpa was a teenager. As a small child I heard stories about hunting trips in the local hills and visits to the swimming holes as well as camping and fishing with willows & shoe strings. These stories and doing then with Grandpa created the love I have for firearms and the outdoors. Grandpa also had two 1911s that I own today. They were the first pistols I ever fired. At 9, I was given a Winchester mod 67a boys 22 rifle designed by Mr. Browning as the "1900". Stock fitted to my 9 year old form. Many rabbits, ground squirrels later my 12 year old Grandson now carries it on hunts or out plinking. Grandpa had a great respect for Mr. Browning and his designs that he passed on to me. At 19 I was riding the ring of a gun truck behind a 50. in Vietnam. My respect grew even more for Mr. Browning. JMB. A great American firearms designer.
Chuck43, JC45 and DeOlMan like this.
Old Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #7

Freaking Fantastic!!!!! They broke the mold when he was born. I don't think the world will ever see another person like him that could visualize a design in his head and make it happen & work right.

I carry in our vehicle wherever we go a FNH FN 509 LE model 9mm that came with 3-17 round magazines and night sights and let me tell you, that is one fine shooting pistol even though striker fired. It has never had a hiccup, not one, since day one.

I know it's not a 1911 but it's one that you can trust your life to and with plenty of firepower. After all, it doesn't matter what brand, model, or type a gun it is if you can trust your life to it. That's just my opinion.

Jim D
Old 03-26-2019, 01:42 AM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Yes, I admire the man.

It is my understanding that the last project he began was for the Browning Hi-Power. I was told he died before the project was finished. BTW, the 'high' referred to the magazine capacity.

It was rumored at my local gun store and time-wasting watering hole that a student of Browning's finished that project.

Is that correct?
I wish I could answer that question. The last time I went to the museum I didn't have have the interest I have now. The museum used to be in the national guard armory when I was in the guard. It has since moved to the Union Pacific RR station that was deeded to Ogden city. I will try to make it down there and take some pictures and post them. Pictures will be hard as now everything is under glass because someone light fingered one of the guns.

Also, speaking of railroads, things will be interesting here come May 11th. They will be celebrating the susquicentennial anniversary of the joining of the rails this year.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote