I hate being the heavy. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #1

I hate being the heavy.

As you guys know, my wife and I go to the East Towne Mall's Barnes & Noble for coffee. All our friends are there, including the dregs of society. I tangled with a guy last week who tried bilking the clientele out of money. Today he ran after I notified the manager, Jen, and the civilian mall security. Here, he could be arrested.

In the car coming home, I was restless. On the whole, I did the right thing, several senior citizens go there about that time, and could be easy marks for a con-man and smooth story. Now he gets chased out.

But one thing is the same now as it was in the old days. When the confrontation is over, I re-play the event in my head, and I attempt to rationalize my own behavior. Lots of my MC brothers used to do the same thing; they needed a "beverage" and repeated consolation that they had done the right thing.

Why does it have to be this way? My wife will be out of town over the weekend, and I'm going to find a new place to drink coffee. I was raised on folks like The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers and The Cisco Kid. I never saw guys like this question their own motives.

This stuff ruins my day.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #2

Watch your back Chico. Keep your head on a swivel. If that guy finds out it was you who had him thrown out he might just blame you for all of his life's problems and flip out on you.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Watch your back Chico.
Oh, I always do. He's had two chances to confront me since the first exchange. Today he ran when the civilian guards found his stash of clothing that "someone" led them to.

The problem is I always hated to run. And today I even gave him a break.

All I had was one switchblade and a SW 642 .38 SPL.

I was darned near nekkid...
wayne likes this.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #4

Sheep dog gotta herd sheep.
You can't change that.
Try, and either you or the dog will go crazy, and the sheep will suffer.
Do what you do, and be content with that.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #5

Then there's the "innocent bystander" issue.

Jen is a very honest and 'hands on' manager. But a sleaze like this might figure that punching his way out might be his only way out of jail.

My nose has been broken twice, and I have a few "crooked ribs" I do not remember breaking. I'm not going to get anymore beautiful than now.

The good news is that my suburban wife has a terrible temper she picked up somewhere during the last +40 years...

EDIT: I always liked Leonidas comment on going anyplace alone. A Spartan offered to send some men with him, and he turned that down. He responded, "Pray he is that foolish, and pray we are that lucky."

I can't walk around with club enforcers all my life.

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-29-2019 at 05:02 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #6

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I was raised on folks like The Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers and The Cisco Kid. I never saw guys like this question their own motives.
This stuff ruins my day.
You mean, you never saw ON TV, IN THE SCRIPT, those actors-playing-roles questioning their actions IN THE TV show, because those questions and considerations were not written for them to say. Yes? (Word choice, dammit Chico -- just like I yelled at you about on the phone this afternoon!! STOP mis-describing what went on, what you did, WHY you did it, and how it could have gone differently!!)

What (specific, detailed, actionable!) questions do you HAVE about your "motives"? What are you thinking you could or should have done differently?

You were RIGHTLY protecting older folks (any folks, really) who frequent (or visit) a place you have STAKED a claim to! You are ACTUALLY acknowledged by the owner/staff and mall cops AS part of their protection system. You ACTED in your unofficial -- but ACKNOWLEDGED -- role as part of the protection of the good guys. You acted WELL within the restrictions we all recognize apply to us (esp. not as a young biker in a biker gang; but as old adults who want peace and quiet in our places).

Yes OF COURSE, you had to deal with 'coming down' off the adrenalin of the confrontation. (You KNOW about cops getting 20-48 hours before questioning after a shoot, right?) So, what do we do when we are STILL flooded with adrenalin but AFTER the "run from or fight the tiger" situation had ended? We twitch, and rehearse and hover over what happened and what MIGHT have happened and what we MIGHT have had to do (and the eternal: "what I REALLY SHOULD have said to that guy was....")! Right? We 'debrief' ourselves and our performance -- even if just in our heads -- AND we do it while still under the influence of one of the strongest drugs known to humans: adrenaline!

Look humans are a territorial species! Even if it's just "your" chair in the classroom, the coffee shop, the park. And protecting "your" territory is natural, normal, and appropriate! And YOU weren't even protecting your space, you were protecting folks under a version of your 'protective reach'!

WORD CHOICE! Describe things ACCURATELY, or you'll never get anything RIGHT!
Ice-and-Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 AM   #7

'Snow, I guess I just expected "life" to be easier at this stage of my development. I find interaction with people to be evermore baffling.

For example, why would a sleaze feel he has a right to bilk people? Why not spend less and save more?

Then there's the ramifications of even being a victim. I don't know if the clown was packing anything--but I was. If he initiated an attack, I'd have sliced him.

I'm not sure just "being in the right" is always right.

BTW, the knife below is what I was carrying. A few cuts with that and the EMTs would have never made it in time.

DSC02533.JPG
Old 03-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
'Snow, I guess I just expected "life" to be easier at this stage of my development.
Is that what they told you when you signed on? Bwhahahaha! Don't feel bad, everyone thinks that. While I don't have all the answers (yet), all I've come up with at this point is to keep working through all the new challenges that arise.

I find interaction with people to be evermore baffling.
Think of it as a challenge, like a knife blade made of that newfangled space-age alloy. Use your skill and finesse, and maybe you'll end up with a blade that sparkles.

For example, why would a sleaze feel he has a right to bilk people? Why not spend less and save more?
Ahh... you've stumbled into the pit of trying to figure people out. Stop. Now. Don't dig yourself any deeper. If Chuck wants to carry a .45 in a Wright holster, just think, "That's nice, good for him." If he wanted to carry a Solo, that would be ok, too.

Much of the world's strife comes from people worrying about what the other guy is doing.
2sharp2 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #9

Well, I did feel better today.

While my wife and SIL are in Milwaukee buying my MIL gin and pampers, I went to the mall. I ran into Charlie (an eighty-plus naval veteran) and his wife, Lucy, the real "danger behind the throne."

As luck would have it, they sat at the pilferer's table. They had heard the scuttlebutt, but I added nothing. Why wreck a perfect day? And if the clown showed up, I would be guilt-free to step between the pervert and my friends.

I did have the SW 642, the Prequel, the mini-stiletto and the Schrade that Joyce gave me. And anyone who doubts the quality of "Joyce's choices" as they're known on the website, should know that this switchblade is in the top three blades I've owned in the past 50 years.

Those would be (Number One) a polished Boker Kalashnikov 74, (Number Two) Joyce's polished Schrade Extreme Survival, and believe it or not (Number Three) The Hattori Chef's Knife.

Over the past two months I have secured more perfect edged renditions than at any time doing my job.

EDIT: BTW, a Japanese Chef's Knife is known in Nippon as a "Wa Gyuto." It literally means 'cow knife.'

Last edited by The Tourist; 03-30-2019 at 05:49 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #10

Sounds like it's a great time in history to be a knife guy. Not in London, but... you know.
Ice-and-Snow likes this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote