Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #1

Pound for pound

The Badger Hound
IMG_1486.JPG
This is Oscar Mayer.

He is a Chiweenie, half Chihuahua, half long-haired Dachshund and 100% attitude. He is smaller than most cats in our neighborhood never mind dogs. Everything in his world is a giant.
A couple of weeks ago approaching my house from our daily walk Oscar and I stopped to talk to my neighbor. He wanted to show me his new trailer. I no sooner turn to walk up his driveway when his large mutt came charging out of the garage barking and growling; he came nose to nose with Oscar. Oscar barked one time and the next thing I noticed was Oscar coming completely off the ground as this dog lifted his head. I was like, oh SHIT!, he's got ahold of Oscar's head. My neighbor slapped his dog and Oscar dropped to the ground and then the owner grabbed his dogs collar and dragged him to the backyard behind the gate and shut the gate. I immediately picked up Oscar and looked for any kind of blood signs or damage to his eyes or head and found nothing. Oscar didn't even seem distressed in the slightest way. On closer examination after we got home I still could find no marks at all on Oscar.
Turns out that when Oscar felt threatened by a dog 10 times his size he made a preemptive strike and chomped that dog by the nose.
That was a close one for sure. And when I thought about it later I came to the decision that if that it happened out in the middle of the street rather than a neighbors driveway that dog would've been shot.
We've walked past that house a dozen times since this incident and that dog won't even look at Oscar, never mind bark at him anymore.
We live in rural Montana where we frequently see foxes and coyotes in our neighborhood. When I'm walking him my head is on a swivel and I'm prepared to defend him probably with my own life. I love this little dog. I've got to think of some other options between my boot and my SideArm to defend him with. Maybe something in the less lethal category.
Here are two of my choices. IMG_1486.JPG
The baton on top is a taser baton and the one on the bottom is a steel police baton which deploys very quickly and could really do some damage.
In a previous post I described the time that I had to kick a dog off of him with my boot because be got rushed and attacked by a large dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2268.JPG (1.98 MB, 4 views)

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 04-02-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #2

I got a little dog, too, a Bichon.

A neighbor asked me about safety, security and a counter attack to a burglar.

I picked up Niko, and told the neighbor it was all covered.

We made a deal, me and Niko. He gets his favorite food, and for that he teaches me how to rip an aggressor's throat out with my teeth.

Niko's a good teacher--and he's WELL FED...
Cucamonga kid and wayne like this.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #3

Good looking pup. Glad everything was ok.

I've got a steel expandable 26 inch baton that I purchased many years ago just cuz. At the time I wasn't aware that in Tennessee a baton isn't covered by a handgun carry permit. Requires some type of specialized class which I never attended.

I think a good heavy steel baton would have got this dog's attention. That said, if it was me I would have learned how a dog reacts to seven .380ACP Critical Defense rounds.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5489.jpg (1.49 MB, 5 views)
Cucamonga kid likes this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-02-2019 at 12:31 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #4

Yes pound for pound it isn’t the dog in the fight; it is the fight in the dog. I had a 15 pound poodle and was up camping. Jimmy was outside on a tether and was barking at a stranger walking by with a male Rottweiler. Mr. Macho unleashed his dog and told him to “get ‘im.” We were inside our trailer and before we could get outside his dog lunged at Jimmy. The next thing I saw was Jimmy going underneath this dog and grabbing his junk. The Rottweiler went yelping to his owner. Since there were several witnesses, the campground host sent Mr. Macho on his way. He also talked me out of shooting that dog. I sure was glad Jimmy wasn’t hurt.
Jflytle and Cucamonga kid like this.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Had a dog attack my daughter on our porch years ago....2 good wacks and it split...can't stand pit bulls

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Good looking pup. Glad everything was ok.

I've got a steel expandable 26 inch baton that I purchased many years ago just cuz. At the time I wasn't aware that in Tennessee a baton isn't covered by a handgun carry permit. Requires some type of specialized class which I never attended.

I think a good heavy steel baton would have got this dog's attention. That said, if it was me I would have learned how a dog reacts to seven .380ACP Critical Defense rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXeDEFIsda0
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

To hell with that! 1911 .45 or 10mm with an extra mag or two in case the neighbor wants to get involved and don't look back!

Jim D
Old 04-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #7

Well, I think the bonding experience was good for both Niko and myself. Lots of speed, eye focus and coordination during the throat tearing is not something I just picked up because Niko barked.

A Bichon's DNA is 100% wolf, just like all dogs. Their pedigree is undiluted. The differing sizes and shapes are from the breeding humans enforced on the animals. Dogs are not part horses, rodents or cats.

And when it took me two or three attempts at splitting the jugular, I was making a statement on Niko's heritage. Personally, he also had to deal with my whimpering neighbor.

We hopped into the Jacuzzi (which Niko tells me dogs call it "No Tributary Warm River") and we shared a Milk-Bone.

As is his custom, Niko took the biggest share...
Old 04-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #8

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Good looking pup. Glad everything was ok. That said, if it was me I would have learned how a dog reacts to seven .380ACP Critical Defense rounds.
I hear you Phil. I'm going to start carrying that newly acquired $1000 P238 in my jacket pocket from now on. Eight rounds ought to do it.
CharlieW and ChattanoogaPhil like this.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #9

Cuca, always remember the number 1 man rule: Protect your weenie at all costs all the time!!!!
Chuck43 and Cucamonga kid like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #10

I will rent out my bodyguard …. he's about a pound. Mostly ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0781.JPG (327.8 KB, 1 views)
2sharp2 and Cucamonga kid like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote