Painted Sights? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Painted Sights?

I have some glow in the dark paint I picked up at wally world. I did so with the intention of painting my sights. It is almost white with a slight green tint. I have since become hesitant not knowing how it will turn out.

Has anyone here painted their sights? If so were you satisfied or disappointed? If you did paint your sights do you have any tips or suggestions?
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #2

When I first got my UCII I used Gun Glow paint on the front sight. I don’t recommend it at all. You put a dab on and then brush clear finger nail polish over it. I got the greenish glow and it’s pretty much worthless in my opinion. The paint doesn’t glow unless you point a flashlight on it for a minute or so and then the glow goes away in another minute or two.
I’ve since replaced the sights with the TruGlow Pro sights and love them.
Highly recommend them.
speedydg13, JC45 and 427malibu like this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #3

I've painted a few sights with regular neon paint and it does help to catch the eye. Not sure about the glow in the dark. A little patience helps to make it look nice
80N53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #4

i use a glow paint. hit it with some uv and your good for a long time..at the range i'll hang the uv light above me
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:07 AM   #5

One of the painted white dots came out of my Beretta Pico not long after I bought it. I took a toothpick and a bottle of Sally Hansen Hard As Nails "White On" nail polish and filled all three. Came out amazing, way brighter than factory. It's been years and they're still great. Don't glow in the dark though.
RustyIron and Tejun like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #6

I've painted several sights on my guns. Mostly the front sight on my long guns that don't have scopes (22s, 30/30s, etc). I use a florescent Orange paint and have found that it stands out much better if I put a base coat of white on the front sight first. Really helps me to pick up the front sight.
Micro 380 Stainless
Micro 9 Stainless
Solo CDP
Tejun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

I am not so much interested in the glow as I am in sight visibility. With the paint being almost white the glow might be a bonus.
DeOlMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #8

In that case, I highly recommend Sally Hansen "White On" Hard As Nails polish. I've been carrying that gun all day every day for years, and they still look like the day I did it.

JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #9

Originally Posted by JBear View Post
In that case, I highly recommend Sally Hansen "White On" Hard As Nails polish. I've been carrying that gun all day every day for years, and they still look like the day I did it.

Thatís fine for daylight. Back in the day,70ís , we all painted our front sight on our 38ís with white and that was fine in the daylight. Now with the day and night sights we can see during the day and at night.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #10

I have several weapons, on which, I have painted the sights. Usually just a bright red, orange or white. I find a good quality enamel lasts a long time and not relying on any "glow" factor, helps me use that same paint in the day light too. I always exactly where the front sight is.
Tejun likes this.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote