I hate officers. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #1

I hate officers.

I have always disliked officers and junior laggards who thirst for power.

The reason I stay here and (usually) mind my manners is that Chuck is good at his job. He takes the time to know us, and treats us all like individuals. And sometimes we lose our tempers. Imagine that, guys with guns and a temper...

One month ago I dumped a forum. It stated it was a "prepper" board, but I found more woolgathering gossip and recipes for "wilderness stew." I doubt one in ten knew how to use, clean, or properly store a firearm. I decided the place was simply a waste of time.

Fast forward to zero-dark-thirty last night--while I was asleep. The phone rings, and fearing an emergency, I answer it. The caller calls me by name, and I cannot discern who it is.

This goes on for several minutes, and finally the libtard asks, "Why did you leave the forum?" My initial response was to be, "Because it's a free country--for now--and you guys bore me to tears."

Then he tells me he is/was a moderator. He was distressed that I had left, and that I was a regular poster. I told him I needed my beauty sleep and I hung up.

I go into their forum this morning, and I had to lurk because my handle and password were deleted. Sure enough, there's a "Where's The Tourist?" thread, most wondering if I was dead, insane or out of town.

Really? Lots of guys my age are retired and take a month off to tour on vacation. My parents took a month long train excursion in one of those "glass top" luxury cars.

And the upshot is something that slipped by me. This medium-rank moderator that called me left me with the imparting shot he would immediately notify Cricket (the head moderator) and get this ironed out.

Ergo, be thankful we have Chuck...
Old 04-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #2

The more I thought about this the more I realized this is not about membership to a forum--it's about money.

This prep-board sells a lot of stuff, from knives to alarms to sleeping bags to purified water to long-range storage food. If a guy just signs up, he's potential client.

But if a guy leaves, the mods might feel he'll set a precedent and take others with him. This translates into a loss of sales.

The more I pondered this the better I felt about leaving.
speedydg13, DaveinNC and wayne like this.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #3

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
most wondering if I was dead, insane or out of town.
Well at least they got one of three correct.

The really great thing about the group we have here--yes, the group WE have here--is that we have a common interest that brought us here, but we get to share other aspects of our lives. That encourages bonding and friendship that transcends a particular product with a specific label.

This is sort of like a party at Chuck's house. We all come traipsing in, talk about our guns, drink his Bourbon, and throw the ball for the dogs. But of someone whips out a Ruger and is sipping white wine with an ice cube (as Ruger owners are prone to doing), he's still welcome.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #4

The story or the fecal matter (take your pick) seems to be getting deeper.

There is a head moderator there at Preppers named Cricket. To "take me back" she has to resurrect my handle and password. She sent me her private e-mail address.

I named my return e-mail to her as "Thanks But No thanks."

I did invite my friends from there to come here...
wayne likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

Sounds like trying to delete a line of service with a cell carrier. But Sir, we can offer you this deal. No thanks. But wait if you continue service on this line you get a $10 a month credit! Now with Forums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #6

Wait. We drink HIS bourbon?

Hell, nobody told me that.
Ice-and-Snow likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #7

There was no bourbon involved here--and I don't think Chuck shares. In fact, I woke up and thought I had dreamed the entire scenario about the Preppers wanting me back.

Frankly, I do not want to dig a big ol' hole in the dirt for sleep and eat five year old food. I find the invading army from Russia, the Ukraine, left over Nazis in Argentine or left over Nazis from the UW-Madison ROTC program and take their food and warm clothing.

See, I'll never be a prepper. It involves self sacrifice and hardship. I'm more of a "pillage and rapine" kind of survivor.
DaveinNC and Vexmaw like this.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #8

This is what I think about when I think of the preppy types. Some people "do," and the rest "talk about it."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tactical-Bodyguard-Services.jpg (106.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 5721888.jpg (257.6 KB, 10 views)

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:48 AM   #9

"Iron, you're probably closer than we might guess.

Here's my slant. The "guru" of the prepper theory was a noted writer named Mel Tappan. Essentially, his belief was to find a safe, sustainable area somewhere in the United States, move there before the end was in sight, become one of the loyal neighbors, build a house that was as durable as a bunker but suburban, and make sure his family would not be subject to radiation if the Super Powers started launching missiles.

As his treatises evolved, he found that national wind patterns strong enough to transport nuclear debris would never infect Eugene Oregon. After decades, he had found Paradise and readied his family for the move.

The joke was on Tappan. In his effort to circumvent all danger, he got a severe kidney infection and died before he could move to Oregon...

The guys with the most to risk, having learned every way to protect themselves, store enough food and remain safe from marauders, all sound like Tappan. And will most likely meet the same fate.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #10

I am not a prepper. That said, this is my dream home:

Zombie Proof House
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote