I just read a treatise on "hidden cameras." - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #1

I just read a treatise on "hidden cameras."

Strange as it might sound, I just don't get hidden cameras, the ones placed in rental units and some hotels. I mean, if you think the renter is unreliable, why did you do business with him in the first place?

(My start up page has an article on this issue).

Having said that, I'm considering buying one of those Radio Shack locators. I've heard that if a student simply goes to State Street in Madison to buy a cheeseburger or a record album--and then leaves the area entirely--his innocent and short excursion has exposed him to an average of 32 surveillance cameras.

I have to ask the old "1984" canard of, "Who's watching the watchers?"

Then again, 'simplicity' is usually king. I've wondered if there are any cameras at Sturgis? And if so, do the 'patrons' smash them or just steal them for pawn shop cash...

https://slate.com/technology/2019/04...=pocket-newtab
Old 04-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #2

Many cameras are not being watched. They're a bluff. That said you are absolutely right, it is a different world and I don't think I like it.

I can tell you from trying to do investigations, it is shocking how many cameras are ignored, recycle over all they have recorded every 24 hours, or simply do not work at all. Dummy fake "look like cameras" are popular too. But with so many cameras out there, sometimes you get good stuff. A perusal of YouTube confirms this.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #3

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Having said that, I'm considering buying one of those Radio Shack locators. I've heard that if a student simply goes to State Street in Madison to buy a cheeseburger or a record album--and then leaves the area entirely--his innocent and short excursion has exposed him to an average of 32 surveillance cameras.
OH SHITE! I've got to get that camera out of your living room before you go buy a scanner!

Settle down, buddy, that's just a joke. The last thing I want to see is you walking around in your underwear.

Don't tell anyone, but quite often I find myself in security command centers. It's probably not for reasons that you think. Most are just a bunch of computer monitors with people watching them as they perform a multitude of tasks. Some look like NORAD, with screens as big as the wall of my kitchen. Now some of these places are manned by straight up professionals. Others? Well... unemployment is low and good workers are hard to find. Tear down that wall!

I imagine that you're probably on camera a lot. You leave the house in the morning, get in your car, merge onto the highway, and BAM! You're on the traffic cam. Pull into the gym parking lot? Your on the security cam. Enter the gym? On the cam. After the gym, you pick up Mrs. Tourist and walk into the mall. You're on the cam. Coffee place? On the cam. Subway? On the cam. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Maybe next time you're at the mall, you should stop into the store where all the young people go to buy clothes. Get yourself a hoodie and some dark glasses. Da Man will still be watching you, but they'll think you're one of those mopey millennials.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #4

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Get yourself a hoodie and some dark glasses.
That's where I got you guys beat, bikers are beloved wherever we go.

I always get served first, and if you doubt that, talk to my wife.

I go to the coffee bar and a barista grabs the coffee, "Take this and go!"

I saunter into a restaurant, and the manager grabs a sirloin, "Take this and go!"

One time I parked my bike in pitch black parking area, and accidentally walked into a House of Ill Repute, only to hear the madam intone, "Take this woman and go!"

It's still not kosher to film the innocent. What was I talking about...
Old 04-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

If you have cameras in the house for security..yank the mics out
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
If you have cameras in the house for security..yank the mics out
I wouldn't put cameras inside my home, whether they had microphone hook-ups or not.

But my home has a blind spot which interrupts my aim. It would be nice to have a camera aimed at that spot so I could see which way he was headed.

If I'm going to be gone for most of the day, I have ritual. I get out a huge water bowl, a mammoth dog dish with bloody scraps of food in it, and large link chain. To that, I add this note:

"Monica, don't go inside today, Fang tried to bite me again..."

The biggest issue there is my wife. She wants to know why I addressed this fake letter to an equally fake "Monica."
Old 04-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

i keep them inside the window looking out.....they get wet otherwise..

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I wouldn't put cameras inside my home, whether they had microphone hook-ups or not.

But my home has a blind spot which interrupts my aim. It would be nice to have a camera aimed at that spot so I could see which way he was headed.

If I'm going to be gone for most of the day, I have ritual. I get out a huge water bowl, a mammoth dog dish with bloody scraps of food in it, and large link chain. To that, I add this note:

"Monica, don't go inside today, Fang tried to bite me again..."

The biggest issue there is my wife. She wants to know why I addressed this fake letter to an equally fake "Monica."
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #8

Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
Many cameras that are clearly visible and obvious are not being watched, or even necessarily plugged in to anything at all. They're a bluff.
Fixed it for you
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Shootinit View Post
i keep them inside the window looking out.....they get wet otherwise..
That I did not know. I have seen cameras outside on the top of stop lights.

The problem of my "blind spot" is that it is not near a window. How hard is it to waterproof a camera? I know they take cameras diving, like on shark shows.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #10

Check out B&H Photos website, they have lots of housings and waterproof gear.
There is the Zip Lock + a few rubber band option too it you want to keep the budget in the few dollar range :-)
cousinmark is online now   Reply With Quote