Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
Super Moderator

4/14/1865 Lincoln is shot by John Wilkes Booth

Lincoln is shot by John Wilkes Booth

On this day in 1865, John Wilkes Booth, an actor and Confederate sympathizer, fatally shoots President Abraham Lincoln at a play at Ford’s Theater in Washington, D.C. The attack came only five days after Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered his massive army at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, effectively ending the American Civil War.

Booth, a Maryland native born in 1838, who remained in the North during the war despite his Confederate sympathies, initially plotted to capture President Lincoln and take him to Richmond, the Confederate capital. However, on March 20, 1865, the day of the planned kidnapping, the president failed to appear at the spot where Booth and his six fellow conspirators lay in wait. Two weeks later, Richmond fell to Union forces.

In April, with Confederate armies near collapse across the South, Booth hatched a desperate plan to save the Confederacy. Learning that Lincoln was to attend a performance of “Our American Cousin” at Ford’s Theater on April 14, Booth masterminded the simultaneous assassination of Lincoln, Vice President Andrew Johnson and Secretary of State William H. Seward. By murdering the president and two of his possible successors, Booth and his conspirators hoped to throw the U.S. government into disarray.

On the evening of April 14, conspirator Lewis T. Powell burst into Secretary of State Seward’s home, seriously wounding him and three others, while George A. Atzerodt, assigned to Vice President Johnson, lost his nerve and fled. Meanwhile, just after 10 p.m., Booth entered Lincoln’s private theater box unnoticed and shot the president with a single bullet in the back of his head. Slashing an army officer who rushed at him, Booth leapt to the stage and shouted “Sic semper tyrannis! [Thus always to tyrants]—the South is avenged!” Although Booth broke his leg jumping from Lincoln’s box, he managed to escape Washington on horseback.

The president, mortally wounded, was carried to a lodging house opposite Ford’s Theater. About 7:22 a.m. the next morning, Lincoln, age 56, died—the first U.S. president to be assassinated. Booth, pursued by the army and other secret forces, was finally cornered in a barn near Bowling Green, Virginia, and died from a possibly self-inflicted bullet wound as the barn was burned to the ground. Of the eight other people eventually charged with the conspiracy, four were hanged and four were jailed. Lincoln, the 16th U.S. president, was buried on May 4, 1865, in Springfield, Illinois.

Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

A black day for the nation.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Lincoln, the 16th U.S. president, was buried on May 4, 1865, in Springfield, Illinois.
Actually, he wasn't...

He had been laid to rest at what was to be his memorial site. Grave robbers tried to carry him out, coffin and all, but they couldn't get it through the door.

Four men (sometimes reported as five) formed a loyalist cabal, pledging to protect Lincoln's body. For several decades Lincoln was stored in various basements.

Lincoln had two sons, and about this time the older boy was in early manhood. The cabal decided contact the son. Amazingly, the son approved of their ruse.

In 1901, the cabal and the son went to a remote storage facility to view the body. A TV documentary reported that due to the age of the body, Lincoln's face had a muted color, similar to its hue on the Lincoln penny...

The body is now several feet under concrete to prevent theft or hostile intent. A fake marble coffin sits over the cement.

https://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln13.html

Last edited by The Tourist; 04-14-2019 at 09:13 AM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

Here are some interesting reads about the travels of President Lincoln's body and his Family's until the final resting.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN'S BODY EXHUMED AND VIEWED IN 1901 - I remember reading this account in Life Magazine when I was 11 years old. It was very interesting!

https://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln13.html

“Over Lincoln’s dead body” … the bizarre story

?Over Lincoln?s dead body? ? the bizarre story ? One man, one mystery at a time
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by OLE442; 04-14-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: thoughts added
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

In an odd twist of fate, Victoria I died about the same time, January 22, 1901.

I also saw old black and white film footage of that last of Civil War veterans going to Washington DC as now elderly men for one last hoorah.

This amazing history humbles me. Without competent leaders, Europe fell apart and plunged most of the world in what was then to become, "The War That Ends All Wars."

...you guys know this as WWI. Just like buses, another was to follow...
Old 04-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #6

Interestingly, a number of civil war veterans' widows lived well into the 20th century with the last one dying in 2004. Some of the women married the much older veterans because of the $50 pension: BBC NEWS | Americas | Last Civil War widow dies at 97
Old 04-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Interestingly, a number of civil war veterans' widows lived well into the 20th century with the last one dying in 2004.
For a brief period in 1976, I worked for the Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs on East Washington Avenue. At that time we had +/-60 Civil War widows collecting benefits.

The explanation was simply due to the times. The veterans married young women to aid them in their declining years. The younger women knew that marrying a veteran would bring benefits for their entire life, plus some prestige.

It is my understanding that the last Civil War veteran died in 1959. Supposedly there is video of him riding in the back of a convertible at some parade, possibly The Rose Parade.

I did find this:

Richard Overton, who at 107-years-old is America's oldest living veteran on record, was honored last week at a Veterans Day ceremony in Austin, Texas.
Bigdog likes this.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #8

By the way, in North Carolina, it is know as The War for Southern Independence
Old 04-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #9

Or the War of Northern Aggression.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Some units of the Wisconsin militia wore grey uniforms.

Personally, even northern born, I was always a "Son of the Sod."