I'm on the 'edge' about this... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #1

I'm on the 'edge' about this...

As you guys know, my friend Kayla is one hot-tempered young lady. And at 5-foot-nothing, I worry about her. She's at that age where her pals meet her at a saloon.

In a bizarre twist, we both share the same birthday. We do dinner, and when Gander Mountain was open, I'd take her to the indoor range.

I have a nine inch stiletto. Over the past few days I've rebuilt it, polished the bright work and refined the edge. It's beautiful, all the buttons and locks are tight and true, and the "Stiletto Italy" stamp is flawless.

Since Kayla loves knives as much as I do (and I'd like her to have something for "after dark") I'm wondering if this might either be a salvation or a nightmare.

I too have an igneous temper, and it has come into play last month (twice), even at my age.

Then again, switchblades are legal in Wisconsin and Kayla is about 25 years old, clearly an adult. Got any advice?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

What is legal or not is just rationalizing in an attempt to override your gut decision. Follow your gut.
Karens likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #3

Pepper spray works at a longer range than a knife. Pepper spray may keep her out of more serious trouble ie: stabbing vs spraying. Pepper spray can be more effective against multiple assailants. Effective use of a knife in a self defense situation requires training.
Hampton_CIT likes this.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #4

The comfort of carrying a knife is useless unless you know how to use it well.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
As you guys know, my friend Kayla is one hot-tempered young lady. And at 5-foot-nothing, I worry about her. She's at that age where her pals meet her at a saloon.
Y'know... If you "pull a knife" on someone who can fight, they're gonna take it from you. If you "pull a gun" on someone who can fight, they're gonna take it from you.

So just giving a knife or a gun to go against somebody who is seeking confrontation is not a safe bet.

Why not send your lady friend to learn some skills. A quick Google brought me to a place in Madison that trains folks in krav maga. Sign her up for a few classes. Better yet, use your charm on the instructor and get a discount when you sign up for a few classes yourself. It will be good for you... Maybe even fun.

https://fightprimetc.com/krav-maga-madison/

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #6

Oh, I can show her feints and parries, but not enough to tangle with guy who has been fighting all his life. Kayla wins by tapping into her cerebral "Lucy Lawless."

My take is that I cannot keep her out of saloons and I sure as hell don't want that personal habit again. Get this, they remodeled the Wisco, her favorite saloon, which oddly is the same bar the CC Riders used to haunt.

The only positive slant I can derive for her is that she's been a blade-head for most of her life. She must have learned something.

As for guns, you cannot carry guns into bars in Wisconsin. At worst, it would be a fair fight, and I hate fair fights...
Old 04-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #7

She may very well fend off an attacker with that stiletto however in the aftermath the prosecutor holds that up to a jury of her peers it conjures up images of biker gangs, street thugs, mafia types etc. But if you hold up a Buck 110 automatic to a jury of her peers it will immediately dispel all those bad illusions of the aforementioned Blade. Why heck, 12-year-old kids, farmers, auto mechanics and regular people carry Bucks. The judge probably even has one in the console of his SUV.
DeOlMan and 427malibu like this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 04-15-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
But if you hold up a Buck 110 automatic to a jury.
Ya' know, you are fairly bright for a guy who cannot get girls!

Joyce even sells them, I believe!

Thanks for the insight!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Ya' know, you are fairly bright for a guy who cannot get girls
Ahh, what the heck is that supposed to mean?
OLE442 likes this.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
wfm

You mention Kayla is hot tempered and hangs out with pals at the saloon. I have known several people in my years on this planet that when they mixed their hot temper with alcohol, it became a dangerous temper. Just something to think about, you know her, I don't.
wfm is online now   Reply With Quote